Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #29

Some random thoughts.......

Before I pull the black tank lever, I do a short pull on the gray tank. It's better to find out you have a loose sewer hose connection with your gray water than black. Then of course, after dumping the black, follow with a full dump of the gray.......

When we are on full hookups, we don't "conserve" water per se, it seems I usually dump the gray tank every day, or every 2 days at most. Black tank gets dumped about every 4 days, as we always use plenty of water; most often do a tank rinse too.

On occasion, and particularly if we are in one place for a week or so, once the black tank is empty, we fill the toilet bowl and dump a full bowl of water 2 or 3 times to break up any solids that happens to settle on the bottom of the tank under the toilet and then rince the tank of course......

Yes, TP, usually Scot singe ply, does down the toilet in our RV.

On the other hand........

My wife and I have spent a considerable amount of time on larger sailboats (up to 70'), and nothing went down the toilet unless it went into your mouth first. Every boat had a can for used TP, even charter boats. You get used to it.

Why is it that people have no problem walking around behind their dog and picking up poop with a plastic bag, or changing diapers (I have done neither), but get squeamish about their own TP?

As far as "issues" with used TP in the trash, um, where do the dogie poop bags and disposable diapers go?

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post

Why is it that people have no problem walking around behind their dog and picking up poop with a plastic bag, or changing diapers (I have done neither), but get squeamish about their own TP?

Because we live in the modern era. It is totally unnecessary to save your friggin TP.

Modern campers are designed to have creature comforts of home and not force one to act like a hillbilly.

Saving your TP on a sailboat was unnecessary too.

Draining and flushing a black tank is not rocket science.

“RV” TP is another scam and is unnecessary. Regular TP we prefer in the home is what we use.

Sheesh...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Putting used TP in a can rather than down the toilet is a common practice in 3rd world or relatively undeveloped countries with substandard sewer systems (and substandard TP). That does not apply to the US, Canada, nor modern RVs.

As for dog poop, or diapers...dog poop is put into individual plastic bags when camping, not just dumped into an open air container inside your bathroom. Diapers are wrapped up and put into a diaper pail (and still smell). Anyone who claims that used TP sitting in their bathroom doesn't smell has no sense of smell.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #32

I gotta say—this thread is a hoot!! Arguing over TP disposal?? Who cares what anyone does as long as it doesn’t impact you? Geesh![emoji12][emoji12]
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #33

Here is my 2 cts., having lived with a septic system all my life it is safe to say that wipes and other stuff have no business in the toilet, the same applies to TP that is not specified as septic safe. Septic safe TP breaks down into basically nothing within hours and anything that doesn't can and will eventually settle to the bottom of the black tank and build up into a hill, next problem is stuff that's not broken down can get jammed into the blade valve that can cause it to not seal properly and leak, or lumps of toilet paper start floating and clog the valve. Plus, many campgrounds in rural areas still have their own septic system and are usually not equipped to deal with that stuff unlike their municipal counterparts. Another big NO NO is used cooking oil and grease, as well as certain pharmaceuticals but that's a different topic.
As for us, we prefer to dump when the tanks are full and if they occasionally happen to be 1/4 or 1/3 full then so be it, it'll come out the next time. I think the big problem is when people use their rv mostly on weekends for 2 or 3 days, dump and then leave it alone for another week sitting in the sun. During this time any "film" left behind on the tank walls can dry and turn into a leathery sheet of something that is really hard to deal with after the fact, so it is better to park the rv with the tanks partially filled with water or absolutely clean. As for tank treatment, water is your friend, the fancy tank chemicals not so much. I think as a retired farmer who has dealt with animal waste all my life I think I have at least some knowledge of the subject .
Old 11-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #34

Just because anyone doesn't see others pulling the tank levers doesn't mean they are not doing so...unless you are sitting staring at other peoples tank valves 24/7, in which case I suggest you have other issues.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #35

Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
When I pick up after my dog, my goal is to get rid of it as fast as I can and not keep it around.

One other tip, we use a plastic container in the kitchen sink to do dishes so that water can be moved into the black tank. Helps it fill up faster.
DanOCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #37

Unfortunately as with many posts on this forum, the OP's original question has been totally lost due to the discussion on toilet paper, sad to see legitimate questions devolve like this. Maybe try your own thread on toilet paper disposal. To the original point. We just finished a tour of the U.S. and here is our experience. Early on we dumped often. We NEVER leave the black water tank valve open. Your just asking for problems. What we did find was that by dumping on less that a half tank, the level lights stopped working properly. Best guess is that some solids dried on the sides of the tank around the sensors. So we planned our dumps based on how long we felt we could go until the tank was full and if we would be in a campground that had a sewer hook up or a dump station. That meant we would dump about every week to 10 days. The material also got agitated as we drove and I believe this helped to break down the solid. With a full hook up, we had time to do our preferred 3 flushes on the black water tank. At a dump station there is not always time since usually others are waiting in line. The gray water tank was dumped as often as possible since it fills quickly. But we still prefer to let it fill rather than just leaving the valve open. We have often had creepy insects crawl into the tank and into the drains if we left the tank valve open. I know there is a water trap in the pipes, but they still managed to get in. Never have this problem keeping the valve closed and dumping every few days when possible. The gray tank will usually fill in about 5 days. The same with it getting agitated while we drive. So that is our experience after 12,000 miles in the last 7 months. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
I have noticed this also. It seems I never see neighbors go out and pull the handle to drain black or grey.

Everything that i have read and what make sense to me is to let them fill up to maybe 3/4 before draining.

I will sometimes leave grey open for a day or two but i like to leave it closed so i have half a tank at least of grey to flush the sewer pipe when i drain black.

I heard that someone had a sewer rat crawl in his black tank and died there, creating a big problem. Don’t leave your valves open while hooked up.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #39

Let me explain our normal camping, 99.9% of our camping is at NFS, COE etc. CG's in the mountains or on BLM land in the South West during the winter. So we arrive at our camping area with a full water tank and empty drain tanks. About 8 to 10 days later when our grey tank is full (limiting factor) it is also time to move on. After a few mile trip to a commercial dump or a 100/200 mile trip home the contents of the drain tanks are pretty well mixed/broken up.This is a long way around to say that I normally dump while traveling to or IMMEDIATELY AFTER arriving at our next destination or back home. I firmly believe that the "Pyramid of POO" problem (In prolly 35 years of self contained RV camping we have never had the pile of POO problem) that others have had would not be a problem if folks would dump when arriving at their next stopping location. Dumping the AM of traveling after setting a week or more and not completely flushing is the cause of most POO problems.

For those that say that carrying around all that water/poo effects their fuel mileage. Let's say the average rigs combined weight is 18,000# to maybe 25,000#. Water weighs 8.3#/gal, do you really think that a couple hundred #'lbs plus or minus would really make a fuel mileage difference. Maybe under laboratory conditions but under real life conditions I doubt it.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The issue is that used TP is a biological waste hazard. It should be treated as such.
not according to the law.

there is a product called the wag-bag, and another called the doodie bag.... both are similar in that they are plastic bags that are made to line a bucket or other "dry bowl" commode that is used for the purpose.
after the bag is used, it is tied off and placed in a bigger bag, which holds several days worth of waste... when full it is sealed and thrown in a dumpster... both are fully approved by state and federal governments..
tigerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

Maybe you should try the TP waste basket method, then you won't have to imagine the result anymore. I don't think people would put up with the TP smell if using a waste basket really smelled that bad?
LOL good one.

How many are old enough to remember the diaper pail (before disposables)? It didn't smell until you opened it - but once opened, oh boy.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #42
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
LOL good one.

How many are old enough to remember the diaper pail (before disposables)? It didn't smell until you opened it - but once opened, oh boy.
When our daughter was born we were 19 and 20. We had no money for things like disposable diapers. We used cloth and washed them ourselves.

Good times.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewage