Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Sewage Draining ???

I was taught several yrs ago, to fill the black and grey water tanks most of the way, BEFORE dumping. Then all the grey can flush out the black.

Is this best?

Or is it ok to dump them both when they are only 1/3-1/2 full after a few days use?...then dump again in a few more days?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magnum View Post
I was taught several yrs ago, to fill the black and grey water tanks most of the way, BEFORE dumping. Then all the grey can flush out the black.

Is this best?

Or is it ok to dump them both when they are only 1/3-1/2 full after a few days use?...then dump again in a few more days?
The fuller the tanks are when dumping, the better. Especially the black water tank.
On a trip, if I am going to another spot that has sewer, I will not do a black water dump until 3/4 or more full. Then dump when I get there. And chase it with grey water that I saved. All that sloshing around while driving helps to get the solids stirred up.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

For traveling, I usually dump the tanks, then add 2-3 gallons of water into the black tank along with 2 packets of dish washer soap through the toilet. During the travel, the sloshing around with soap will clean the tank. Five years full timing and no problems yet. I should also add, I don't put any toilet paper in the tanks and even leave the valves open when I have full hook ups. Not suggesting you try this method, but it works for me.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:59 AM   #4

Thanks guys.
My confusion comes from seeing everyone hooked up at a campground, and never seeing them pull the dumping handles.
So, it kinda looks like they are running sewage out as its created.

I'm thinking the black sewage, when not pushed out will settle in the convolutions in the stinky slinky drain pipe.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks guys.
My confusion comes from seeing everyone hooked up at a campground, and never seeing them pull the dumping handles.

I'm thinking the black sewage, when not pushed out will settle in the convolutions in the stinky slinky drain pipe.

If you leave the black tank valve open, only the liquids will drain because there isn’t enough liquid to push the solids. Those solids will build up and dry out.

In your home, there are a couple gallons of water in the tank to assist. Not so in an RV.

Waiting until the black tank is fairly full before draining will ensure there is plenty of liquid to push everything out the drain. In addition, the more liquid you can keep in there the better. This is why people add water after they drain.

Using plenty/extra water when flushing the toilet is recommended each time.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I have noticed this also. It seems I never see neighbors go out and pull the handle to drain black or grey.

Everything that i have read and what make sense to me is to let them fill up to maybe 3/4 before draining.

I will sometimes leave grey open for a day or two but i like to leave it closed so i have half a tank at least of grey to flush the sewer pipe when i drain black.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #7

We have two grey tanks, one for the kitchen and one for the bath. It takes us about 3-4 days, depending on showers and dishes, to fill those up. So in a week I will dump the greys usually twice, mid-stay and then leaving. The black will go a week or more, and we use extra water on flushes to make sure there is plenty of liquid for the flush. So if you watch, you will see me with my coffee cup in hand after being there a few days dumping grey water but not black. I just make sure I have enough soapy water in the grey bathroom tank to clear the hoses when we leave, often running several gallons of hot water down the drain just prior to flushing. I would never recommend leaving the black valve open all the time, you will eventually have issues as solids mound up and never get completely flushed away. JMO
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks guys.

if the solids are settling in the hose convolutions, it means its leaving the tank, and its easy to remedy.. but the solids that splat and stick to the bottom of the dry, empty tank and dont leave, becomes a very sh**ty problem that isnt so easy to remedy..

in the evening is when most people pull the handle on their tanks are full.... some people dont like to be seen doing the "dirty work"... and its a bit more considerate, as there is sometimes a smell that is associated with the task, and at night when people are indoors, they dont notice it....
tigerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't get the "no toilet paper in the toilet" thing. I even flush baby wipes with no troubles. I certainly do not want to be smelling piles of toilet paper.

With a clear elbow on your dump valve you can see exactly how clean your tank is and what comes out of it. I actually think the better toilet paper that does not dissolve is better for your tanks since it does not leave a million little scraps to stick to the walls.

Fill the black tank half full immediately after each dump and use plenty of water. That is all you need.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I don't get the "no toilet paper in the toilet" thing. I even flush baby wipes with no troubles. I certainly do not want to be smelling piles of toilet paper.
My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine having a can full of used TP sitting in the bathroom. Yuck.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine having a can full of used TP sitting in the bathroom. Yuck.
It is not generally as yucky as you think. After all how many times a day are you tcob for #2?
My wife generally does it and never a smell or even noticable in the bathroom basket.
We travel alot outside the US and many places it is one of the house rules.
I try to use other facilities if I can for #2.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post

Maybe you should try the TP waste basket method, then you won't have to imagine the result anymore. I don't think people would put up with the TP smell if using a waste basket really smelled that bad? The TP basket dosen't smell any more than the regular kitchen garbage basket which gets emptied daily.
It's well known that solids are not good for a black tank, the solids need to be dissolved with water to make a slurry that will flow/float out. Common sense says that TP is just another solid being added to the tank which requires additional water to dissolve/float. Most of the time this is not a problem as long as enough water is used, however if the tank is lacking for water, than the TP is just another solid adding to the risk of a tank plug up.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

Maybe you should try the TP waste basket method, then you won't have to imagine the result anymore. I don't think people would put up with the TP smell if using a waste basket really smelled that bad? The TP basket dosen't smell any more than the regular kitchen garbage basket which gets emptied daily.
It's well known that solids are not good for a black tank, the solids need to be dissolved with water to make a slurry that will flow/float out. Common sense says that TP is just another solid being added to the tank which requires additional water to dissolve/float. Most of the time this is not a problem as long as enough water is used, however if the tank is lacking for water, than the TP is just another solid adding to the risk of a tank plug up.
I'm not the campground police, so if putting used TP in the bins isn't illegal you should have that right. To me, it seems like a very vile, unhealthy bag in the dumpster, stink or not.
But consider this, my spouse and I have been living and traveling in an RV, FULL TIME for more than 26 years. We've had three different motorhomes during that time, starting with a short, very used, old, entry level, to our now pretty nice rig. We've always used the bathroom as designed for all of our 'numbers'. I admit when we started, we used only single ply, and for about our first 7 years out we used all different brands of non-formaldehyde black tank additives. We stopped regularly using any kind of additive and use 2-ply Angel Soft TP now for the last 19 years. We dump only half tank or more, and use a tank rinser after each dump. Not wanting to start in on a 'dead horse' topic, just saying that adding a few gallons of water after a dump has worked well for us over a very long time, and never, ever had a problem with blockage.
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #14

I too have been told to dump only when full. But in reality I dump every chance I get. I run a grey hose out to dump while parked as the clothes washer will fill grey tank in less than 3 loads. A couple of days prior to leaving I shut the grey tank so I'll have rinse water for the black. Been doing it this way for 17 years and won't change now.

Tags
sewage