Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you leave you hose connected, put a cap on the end of it. That way if something leaks it is contained in the hose. You will be able to tell by the weight of the hose. Hold the end of the hose over the park sewer pipe to take off the cap. Use a good quality hose if you're going to keep it attached. You don't want any leaks.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Did You find the problem or solution yet ?
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
No . . . there are so many other issues, that one moved down on the list a ways . . .

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:51 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I used a clear extension on my Adventurer. Easy to see and no suprises
Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
A few years ago we had the pleasure of having the seal on the black tank roll over and tear while we were out dry camping for a week. As a result, the knife valve not only didn't seal but it walked open and jammed. The result was NOT pretty with a week's worth of stuff. However I learned a long time ago that there are 2 kinds of people: The quick and the wet, so very little got on me.

Do I understand correctly, GraciesMom left the black tank valve open and relied on the cap on the end of her sewer hose?

The cap on the sewer drain pipe--or hose if you leave the hose connected to the drain pipe--is not the primary device that keeps the stuff in the tank until your completely ready to dump. After our fiasco, my technique is to loosen the drain cap but NOT remove it until after I've felt for the pressure of stuff on the inside wanting out. If there is no feeling of pressure, then I pull the cap away and casually connect the hose. But, if there is any pressure, then I have the hose at the ready under the cap & ready to connect very quickly as I pull the cap out of the way. By being under the cap, I take advantage of the first rule of plumbing--stuff always goes downhill--and minimize the spillage.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
NO!!! I never leave the black or grey tanks open! I open them to dump and close them right back. So there is definitely a leak in there. I'm sealing the end of the hose instead of sealing the end of the drain pipe now. I have a very long hose and I can get it to the dump area with no problem, no leaks, no nothing. I've dumped twice and could feel something in the hose as I was pulling it out, but I held up one end, removed the cap, attached the end to the dump site and pulled the handle. No problems. Will get that fixed eventually . . . but I prefer leaving my hose on anyway - make it a lot easier to set up when I get somewhere. And I have plenty of storage space just for that reason.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our Moho has always put a little EXTRA water at the connection point, I use one of these when traveling so I dont get a suprise.
preventer
Our Moho does it because our dump valves are located pretty far away from the dump connector. I can prevent the "extra" water waste, but I have to leave my sewer hose connected for about 1/2 hour after I dump the tanks, and Idump the tanks last thing before we leave. So the extra blade valve works best for me.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote