Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2022, 05:24 PM   #1
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Sewer Hose

I bought a Camco Rhino 20’ sewer hose about two years ago at Walmart. I really like the way it collapses for storing. It came with the 90 clear connection. I also really like it is in two ten foot sections.

Today I went to use just the first section because the hole was that close. I hooked the hose to the camper and then moved it out to the dump hole. I had to wiggle the 90 into the hole. When I turned around the other end I had connected to the camper was on the ground. The connector to the 3” dump pipe was still secured on the pipe. Now that is scary. I used the other 10’ length to do the dump without issue.

How the first length would have held up during the dump is why I mention this. I envision RV the movie.

Now what/where to buy with the features I like above?
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #2

You need to screw the hose back into the connector. Counterclockwise.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:54 PM   #3
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Thank you for that info. I tried screwing it back on what looked like the “right way” with no joy. Not enough threads to do the job right.

But dang it could have been messy.

Last thought is never had this issue before ever. What is a reliable hose that collapse and comes in two parts?
Old 08-17-2022, 06:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Thank you for that info. I tried screwing it back on what looked like the “right way” with no joy. Not enough threads to do the job right.

But dang it could have been messy.

Last thought is never had this issue before ever. What is a reliable hose that collapse and comes in two parts?

Does your hose have the screw on collar on the bayonet? If not it was probably glued at the factory. You can buy a replacement fitting.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer-Ho...nt=30%20-%2060
Old 08-17-2022, 07:02 AM   #5
tcg

My Rhino hose has a locking ratchet type ring. It has come loose in the past, I always double check it.

But... always pull the grey drain first to test, if connections are secure close it and drain the black. If something fails grey water is not as bad as a black failure.

I also keek my hand on the valve for a quick close in case something fails. Only after that first rush do I take my hand off the valve.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:03 AM   #6

I thought all Camco Rhino hoses were spiral threaded with the locking ring.
One time I was hooking up my hose when one end disconnected from the fitting. That was a close call. I simply screwed it back on, but now I check them every time I hook up!
JK
Old 08-17-2022, 07:08 AM   #7

I've had hoses get holes in them near the ends. I just cut the hose off below the leaks, clean up the ends, and reglue them with PVC cement. The shorter hose lengths come in handy at times when a single hose is not enough, but two 10 foot hoses are way too much. I soak them in bleach water every few months to keep them from getting too nasty.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #8

I tend to try to avoid Camco products because I have have had several unpleasant experiences with them including two Rhinoflex hoses. There are many products that are better.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_Sewer_Hoses.aspx

Etrailer has expert advice available to pick a good one.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Thetford Titan. Very strong and large couplers that don't hurt your hands when connecting. The kit comes with caps and an elbow. I got the 5' extension so 20' total.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjavelin View Post
I thought all Camco Rhino hoses were spiral threaded with the locking ring.
One time I was hooking up my hose when one end disconnected from the fitting. That was a close call. I simply screwed it back on, but now I check them every time I hook up!
JK

looking at the pictures of the newer hoses, they don't appear to have the black locking ring anymore.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:50 PM   #11
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I think that looks like what I have.

I will let you folks know.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:04 PM   #12

Old style with the locking rings. Camco got cheap and started gluing the hose to the fittings

Name:   hose.PNG
Views: 67
Size:  113.1 KB
Old 08-18-2022, 07:41 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I bought a couple new rhino hoses at the beginning of this year. I tested both - one of them leaked at the collar. These are the new style without the screw collar. You can fix them. I fixed mine.

Essentially, you need to compress the pins on the bayonet connector and then pull it off, which gives you access to the part that seals to the hose. It screws on still, but is held in place with a bead of silicone sealant in a channel and the threads are nowhere near as robust. In my case there was a gap in the sealant. I scraped the sealant out, filled the channel back up with new silicone and then re-inserted the hose and re-attached the coupler. I left it for about 12 hours and it’s been great all season. So they’re possible to fix - if you want to spend the time.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:48 PM   #14
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
OP here….

I looked at the failed connection today. The picture glwinger posted is my hose except the hose locking piece to the connector part on my hose is black, not orange.

I twisted the black ring counter clockwise till I had enough hose sticking out of it to screw that section of hose into the connector firmly. Then I twisted the black ring clockwise till it got to the hose connector and then I saw/felt little teeth on the connector that are supposed to lock the black ring in place. I guess not a bad design. But I also noticed on that connector the ring with hooks on it to lock into the 3” dump hose was not rotating freely on this connector like the other ones do. So maybe, ?, twisting the hose latch onto or off of the 3” pipe was causing, in my case, the black ring to back out of its locked position on the connector. With time it basically unscrewed from the connector.

Hose fixed I hope. Sure hope it is poop tight.

One detail, I had to extend the end of the hose before it was obvious the black locking ring was doing anything rotating it counter clockwise.

Tags
hose