Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2021, 06:34 AM   #15
IC2

Except to check for leaks, find it amusing that someone actually thinks that rushing fluids at several feet per second will collect in any hose. In my 45+ years of RVing, have found even a leak is so rare that it's hardly a concern. My one and only recollection of a hose leak happened about a month ago and the loss of water (it was gray) was so small that it was barely noticeable. I use the gray from both tanks to back flush the black tank and clean the hose.

I have never seen a sooth bore RV sewer hose - any name brand? Is it real flexible or is it like the 'premium' level (expensive!) hoses that collapse to a smaller size that are tough to site or move easily, especially on a support gadget required at some CGs?
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2021, 06:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Am I the only one rinsing the hose with fresh water (with dedicated water hose) after dumping the black & grey?

I do the same thing with one of those expandable hoses.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:09 AM   #17

Save this thread for April 1st. The entire thread would make a great April Fool joke.
It shows that there is no limit to the amount of dumb advice that can be put in one thread?
Wetting the interior hose with water before you send down more water is just a waste of time. Checking for leaks with grey water vs. black? Really! If your hoses have holes in them get rid of them. If you are not sure if the hoses are going to leak you have no idea what your doing. A leak test is not required and is also a waste of time.
You are not dealing with nuclear waste, its sewer water no one is going to die!
If you are screamish wear gloves. Wash your hands when your done.
Have any of you guys ever changed a baby's diaper? Did you evacuate the house first?
Did you have a hazmat team on stand by?
....and I wonder what is taking that guy so long to dump. What can he possibly be doing that is taking so long?
Now I know. He's wetting his sewer hose, or he's doing a leak test.
Maybe he's rubbing the outside of the sewer pipe to warm it up so the water flows faster? Good Grief.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ever wonder why the line at the dump station is moving so slowly?
Old 07-10-2021, 07:27 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So a guy logs on to offer a tip he finds interesting and gets this ^^ response? Nice.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #20

If only.... if only I had single connection. Nope I have 1 for black and 1 for grey. . Thanks for posting an idea.
jvbutter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:09 AM   #21

It looks like BIGD9 definately has his [Mod Edit] together.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have a SmoothBore hose, not the accordion-type, that I've had since 2000. It is smooth inside, but I thought all the accordion-type hoses were not.

Huh, now that you mention it I don't know what the inside of mine looks like. It is an accordion type. Will have to check next time out.

About the tip you shared, pre-wetting would take all of 3 or 4 seconds so is not a cause of long lines at the dump station. Whether it is truly beneficial IDK, but it was not deserving of some of the comments offered up.

We have what I think is probably a unique rule for out TT. Namely, only #1 is allowed! Guests are advised if they think they want to do a #2, they should familiarize themselves with the gray tank dump procedures first. We get away with this because of where we stay and the relatively short trips we take. As a result, we have a pretty fluid experience at the dump station. haha.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Am I the only one rinsing the hose with fresh water (with dedicated water hose) after dumping the black & grey?
No, I do that also!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Except to check for leaks, find it amusing that someone actually thinks that rushing fluids at several feet per second will collect in any hose. In my 45+ years of RVing, have found even a leak is so rare that it's hardly a concern. My one and only recollection of a hose leak happened about a month ago and the loss of water (it was gray) was so small that it was barely noticeable. I use the gray from both tanks to back flush the black tank and clean the hose.

I have never seen a sooth bore RV sewer hose - any name brand? Is it real flexible or is it like the 'premium' level (expensive!) hoses that collapse to a smaller size that are tough to site or move easily, especially on a support gadget required at some CGs?
I have been using two 10' lengths of this hose since 2000, when we bought our first RV. It's totally smooth inside. It's a little bit of a hassle to store it, but something I've gotten used to. I roll each section up in about an 18" diameter roll and store it in a plastic garbage bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Bor-C2.../dp/B007HRJ2IK
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #25

I find that a good shot of soap now and then into the wastewater tanks (grey as well as black ) drains seems to create a "non stick" coating throughout, in an effort to avoid accumulation of debris inside the traps, pipes, tanks, drain hoses, and (especially) the in-tank sensors.. I find that the inexpensive "dollar store" dish washing detergents or citrus type cleaners work fine for this purpose, and they help to de-oderize too.. By the time my black water is 3/4 full or more, the grey usually is about the same.. The soapy water prevents the gate valves from "sticking" (really does make a difference !) I just open the black water first, then I open the grey.. The resulting "whoosh" effect creates the needed vacuum to pull out the waste as needed - and grey being last, the hoses get a good rinse too. The tank sensors in my 20 year old Class A are still working fine to this day, and I never get the dreaded "volcano" in the black tank, either !
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Ever wonder why the line at the dump station is moving so slowly?
I used to wonder but then I see people buying into silly things like the OP mentioned. It's kinda funny that a person more than likely never had a problem before they viewed an online video like that but then go for it because the "internet expert" in the video said to.

Common sense people,,, a good swoosh is gonna do it. Please don't hold up the line at the dump station trying to sterilize your stinky slinky and your holding tanks.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #27
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have been using two 10' lengths of this hose since 2000, when we bought our first RV.

Thanks Joe. It was more of a curiosity question as I noted, had never seen a smooth hose before. Others may benefit from your link. While at our long stay summer site, I use a Camco Revolution and when we travel, a Camco Rhino Flex or often,a macerator and 3/4" adapted garden hose, depending on the site dump hole height.

On your link, Camco has a good video that shows you their different hose types
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #28
doc

Appalachian Campers
I will not negatively comment on the OP. I certainly can see the rationale of a smooth surface as opposed to a hose with ridges. Especially if one is on-site several days and dumps a couple/three times. Industrious fellow I am, I still don't like to handle a hose of crappy black or gray water picking it up to make sure all liquid runs in the sewer only to have to do the same thing 3 or 4 days later.
I like the smooth bore idea and didn't know there was such a creature. May see about getting at least ten feet for us.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose