Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #15

I too have it and love it. I dump my tanks at home and pump about 65 ft through a 3/4 inch hose. You just hook up the water supply, turn it on and go tend to other chores. Check it every few minutes. When the water is running clear, the tank is empty.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydglydrydr View Post
I too have it and love it. I dump my tanks at home and pump about 65 ft through a 3/4 inch hose. You just hook up the water supply, turn it on and go tend to other chores. Check it every few minutes. When the water is running clear, the tank is empty.
how much water would it use to empty your tanks? Im on metered water where I live, they sell it by the ounce! so I hate to have to run 200 gals of water to dump my tanks

gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
how much water would it use to empty your tanks? Im on metered water where I live, they sell it by the ounce! so I hate to have to run 200 gals of water to dump my tanks

gbstewart
It would depend on how much water pressure you have and the diameter of the hose. It seems to take about 10 minutes to empty full black tank. You don't need to run much fresh water with the gray tank, just at the end to flush it clean. I bet it would still be cheaper than a $10 dump fee and the fuel to drive to it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #18

Thumbs up

Sounds like a unanimous agreement from the "experts" so once again let me say thank you! The Sewer Solution is on my shopping list!
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hint

Very happy with our Sewer Solutions - but provided ten foot hose will not be long enough in many situations. Simple and cheep solution is a couple ten ft pieces of 1 inch pvc cut to length that fits your storage. Put pieces together using 1 inch couplings to get the length needed. Very little pressure so pressing parts together works fine. It has never failed us.
Believe it dumps about ten gallons per gallon of fresh. If fresh water in short supply or expensive you really only need water pressure to dump black. Turn off fresh for gray and mabe run a bit when done to clean things out. Water jet can be pointed back up RV dump pipe for cleaning. I like idea that I can clean dump valves before closing. IMO a great, reliable and solid product for the money.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
paz

We have been using a Sewer Solution since 2000 when they first came out. We are on our second one (ran over the first).

Sewer Solution can be used to pump sewage slightly uphill, and it can be used to carry black water fairly long distances.

We always use it when we have full hooks because it is convenient and it makes dumping a fairly clean, odor-free process. The only time I don't use it is at a public dump station because it takes a little longer to dump the tanks than a stinky slinky, and there isn't always a water hookup available at a public dump station.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #21

OK I have to ask. Everything I have read over the years has been a full black water tank and the whoosh of water empties the solids. I have read that this system empties the black water tank at a slower rate. With that in mind does the lack of whoosh not matter? I'd hate to leave matter in the BW tank thinking it doesn't matter but matter does matter!

Also, has anyone seen a write up from an individual that has first hand problems with the system. It sounds good but...
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #22

I used one for a couple of years and have gone back to the original setup with a Rhino Flex system.
As born2travel stated I wanted the sudden rush of emptying the tank as opposed to the trickle that the sewer solution provided.
The biggest problem with it though was when a granddaughter forgets and deposits a wet wipe into the tank. It doesn't dissolve and does not make it into the small diameter hose. Luckily I have a valve at the end of the dump pipe so I was able to shut it and take the sewer solution off to clear the obstruction. After doing this twice the Sewer Solution was not so appealing to me.
2021 RAM 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans, 4:10 differential
2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 replaced by 2021 DRV
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Water is the most important ingredient for good tank health, never leave the tank empty except in winter storage. Once in a while I add an enzyme to the tank to promote the 'good bacteria.' I also once or twice a year do the GEO treatment for a good cleansing. https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

The enzyme is added when there is a smell to the tank. (Yeah, usually mine don't stink) Never add anything with formaldehyde or chlorine because while they might kill odors, they also kill the bacteria needed for good tank health.

When dumping, I always run the tank flush valves, one on each end of the tank. Dumping with the Sewer Solution I make sure to flush extra to make sure it's empty. The SS is a great way to empty the tank at home. I use the SS with an additional 30 feet of hose bought at Home Depot. It goes up into a basement window and down to a clean out in the basement floor. Never had a clog issue and it's paid for itself in fuel and dump fees.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel View Post
OK I have to ask. Everything I have read over the years has been a full black water tank and the whoosh of water empties the solids. I have read that this system empties the black water tank at a slower rate. With that in mind does the lack of whoosh not matter? I'd hate to leave matter in the BW tank thinking it doesn't matter but matter does matter!

Also, has anyone seen a write up from an individual that has first hand problems with the system. It sounds good but...
We have been using the Sewer Solution for 8 years including 7 years of full-timing, and we have no problem with solids remaining behind. We always, always, always use plenty of water when flushing. Driving with liquid in the tank helps by sloshing things around. Rinse the black tank thoroughly after dumping.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am just about sold on this SS, been scanning and reading about it for quite some time. I see one user has a quick disconnect for the end that fits into the CG sewer, a great idea.

Hooking it up the outside shower setup is an excellent idea just in case water is not available for a dump, and that appears to be the only issue other than dumping at a public dump where you need to be aware of time for others.

I really like the idea of having the backwash and the washout of the hose at the end of the dump cycle with just a flip of the lever instead of messing around with my hydroflush which is almost impossible to access the twist wheel because it is so close to the back wall of the bay, and unless there's terrific water pressure, the hydroflush won't pressure water back up into the tank anyway.

I think the Sewer Solution is on my wish list......
Old 03-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #26

Ok, this what I don't get. If it is not a macerator, what happens with the clumps of paper and the "other" clumps when they try going into a 1" hose? I'm confused.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #27
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowreef View Post
Ok, this what I don't get. If it is not a macerator, what happens with the clumps of paper and the "other" clumps when they try going into a 1" hose? I'm confused.
Think of the Sewer Solution is a "poor man's macerator." The device requires a hose hookup to squirt water through a small orifice. The force of the water jet breaks up the clumps, and the water flow also creates a venturi effect to carry all the waste down the hose. It works even if the hose is going slightly uphill.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You asked for an expert opinion, well here is one. I normally don't tout myself as an expert, but in this case I will as a registered professional engineer with 40 years of experience with potable water systems.

I would not recommend this to anyone. All it uses, per the website, to prevent cross contamination is a simple vacuum breaker. If the water supply looses pressure at a low point in the system and the one stage vacuum break fails, it can suck raw sewage into the hose and into the entire campground's water system. Very bad. Even a simple hard connection from a pressure water supply to an underground sprinkler requires a complex RPZ (reduced pressure zone) backflow preventer according to most plumbing codes.

Same can be said for your black tank pressure flushing connection. Don't use it please unless at an approved dump station with a hose labeled "non-potable water".
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote