Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Sewer Solution

We purchased the Sewer Solution last May and used it at our lot on the golf course back home and thought it was great. We arrived in Az. early November and while draining unit one day the housing of the Sewer Solution started leaking out the side where it was obviously glued together. I went to Camping World in Mesa and they gladly replaced it with a new unit. When I was using the new unit several days later the jet nozzle came off and went down the line and into the sewer never to be seen again. Back to Camping World and they again gave me a new replacement. When I was using the new unit I noticed that the jet nozzle was not pointed into the drain hose but rather at an angle upwards and it was painfully slow to drain the tanks. After finishing the draining of the 3 tanks on our TT I checked the Sewer Solution and found the nozzle was just barely screwed into the unit and at the wrong angle. I removed the nozzle and was able to reinstall as it should have been from factory and now it works great again. Just thought I would pass this on to those who may considering buying a Sewer Solution unit as they do work great if assembled correctly and you may want to check the unit before leaving the store.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Happy you got it all working . . . we used a SewerSolution for 5 or 6 years without any problems (still have it, but our new rig has a macerator).

Nice that Camping World did the right thing, too. We have used them for many things, installations and purchases, and have found they typically do the right thing without drama.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice quality product.. Now let me yank your chain a bit.

HOW MUCH fresh water, which in much of AZ is a premimum, are you wasting pumping out your tanks with that unit when you could do a better job of it with a few watts of electricity and a macerator pump?

Do not bother to answer.. cause this is the only post i will make in this thread.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
.... snipped here and there . . .

Now let me yank your chain a bit.

Do not bother to answer..
Shouldn't yank a chain and not expect to have yours yanked back!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #5

I have used a Sewer Solution for quite awhile. Mine worked fine right out of the box. I feel I don't use any more water that other people do washing out their slinky hoses . When cities who complain about drought conditions but continue to overwater to the point of it running across the streets stops then and only then will I become concerned to conserve better. RVers as a whole conserve way more than a S &B owner anyway.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #6

Sewer solution

Thank you Tdog you took the words out of my mouth. Like they say don't knock it if you ain't tried it.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #7

a positive responce for sewer solution

For those still using a septic tank like me in the southwest, any water that travels through it and the leach field ends up providing deep water to my Mesquite trees so that improves their life.
anneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #8

With the defects you've experienced, makes me wonder if they are now made in China....I had the same part fail some years ago...been using the product for 6 years. The SS is advertised to use up to 33% more water than the contents of the tank being emptied. Now for the brave sole who posted then went into hiding:

How does the SeweSolution compare to an electric macerator pump?
The SewerSolution is a jet pump with no moving parts in the pumping device. An electric macerator is a mechanical pump with a rotating impeller. Both liquefy and pump RV waste.
The macerator is superior to the SewerSolution in creating more pressure head. If you need to pump waste over an 8 foot wall or 200' away, then the macerator is probably a good choice, but very few people need this capability. The SewerSolution will pump up to 100' away and 3' above the RV tank.
The SewerSolution is simpler, less expensive and easier to use than the macerator.

Macerators have maintenance issues, such as seizing due to hair wrapped around the impeller and from drying out in the off season. Eventually they will wear out and require a rebuild.

Macerators can be noisy, leading to campground disturbances, especially in the AM when people are trying to move out next to sleeping neighbors.

Installation of the SewerSolution is much easier than for a macerator.

The Sewer Solution is self cleaning. The macerator is not.

From the SS web site.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 12-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #9

SS

Well put Gemstone.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #10

Have had the SS for over a year now and only wish I had invented it. Our Phaeton has the macerator toilets and the two make the dumping process a snap. Best of all no more stinky slinky !
Old 12-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Absolutely would not own a RV of any class w/o the Thetford Sani Con system! Many years of constant use, no issues. We have a pad at home and pump 150 ft. Plus to our sewer cut out, again no issues! It is great to equalize the pressure in our black tank with that of soapy water from the grey, never ever! any odor. Just my 2 cents worth but well thought out.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A basic rule in the sanitary sewer industry is to use gravity alone whenever possible. I have never been in the position to have to pump up hill or for long distances so I have always been able to stick with the 3" gravity drain hose. No clogs, no wasting water, able to utilize the swhoosh effect to dump the black tank. I never rinse my hose, just finish dumping with the grey water. And with a RhinoFlex collapsible hose, I never have more hose out than needed. I just don't understand adding the complexities and cost of anything other than gravity when you don't have to.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #13

3 inch gravity will always be better for dumping, like the old saying [ Moderator Edit ] flows down hill and payday is on Fridays but some times that's not the case, and that's where a sani con or a sewer solution comes in, the question is which one to get? gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've owned both, a macerated pump and recently, the Sewer Solution.

8 years ago, I bought the RV Sani-Con macerator system. It leaked no matter what I did. I got CW to replace it, but the 2nd one began leaking (I mean squirting) within months. I spoke to a Sani-Con rep. He told me the system was meant for full-timers who will use it frequently. He said the seals dry out easily, and the occasional use like I was doing was speeding up that process. I told him their box should say "Full Time Use Only", then. There's no sanitary way to re-sell a used system, so I was forced to throw it away.

Fast forward to this summer....we moved to a home where I built my RV pad from scratch. I installed a dump station that I tied into a 3" clean out. The problem is, the only available clean out was mounted 2' off of the ground, into the side of the house. I couldn't go under the house as my home is on a slab. My connection (done by a plumber) ended up being 12" above ground just below the existing clean out. The new 3" sewer line runs about 8' from the dump station to the clean out, 3 feet underground. I know, this is getting long and boring....please bear with me.

I needed something that could pump waste from my RV, uphill to the clean out tie-in. After scouring the internet, I decided the Sewer Solution (SS) was the right tool to accomplish the task. The problem is, the SS's 1" hose didn't have the power to pump water uphill through a much larger 3" ABS pipe. Because the SS dump station connections are snap fit and not threaded, the connection kept blowing apart. I put heavy weights on the connection but it still leaked like crazy.

I ended up getting a threaded bayonet hose fitting that I screwed into my sewer dump. The gravity effect of forcing waste from the RV tanks via a 3" hose uphill, does the trick. When the hose equalizes with the clean out tie-in, I pump water with my clear plastic back flush valve until the hose holds nothing but clear water.

I realize that most people will not face the situation I faced, but after spending all that money I have gone back to a standard 3" sewer hose. It's basic, but it's quicker, more reliable and it doesn't leak.

Sorry for being so long winded!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote