Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #1

Sewer solution .... Again

I realize that I have already queried this forum about the sewer solution product and I have not yet bought it but have a final question..... Has anyone had experience in using this product when the septic tank clean out is about 150 feet away with a very slight decline and no hills or mounds. The water source is a well. I HATE to have to pack up and move the coach but also do not want to make the investment if it will not "do the trick"!
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
No personal experience but found a Youtube video that leads me to think if anything will work this may well be it.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

I use a sewer solution with a 75' long, 3/4" diameter hose and have no problem pushing the sewage that distance. I am on a municipal water system, but if your well pump is putting out pressure comparable to a municipal system, you may be able to move the sewage 150' with the help of the downhill slope. That being said, I believe code everywhere requires a clean out adjacent to the house, typically within 24". Depending on where you park the rig, you might find it a shorter run to go the the first clean out instead of all the way to the tank.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
For a run of that distance, you may wish to get larger diameter hose for the run. You could also use 1" or 1 1/2" 10' PVC pipe sections with couplers to erect the length needed. I do think you should be able to find a clean out closer than 150', you might look around.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #5

Is the backflow preventer on the Sewer Solution absolutely beyond question? Has anyone ever been questioned by RV Parks or other campers about your use of the Sewer Solution? Does RVIA or any other organization certify its fitness for use on communal water systems.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I guess if you really worry about contamination you could install a second vacuum breaker (backflow preventer) between the hose and the faucet, besides the one between the hose and the Sewer Solution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #7

I've always thought of this problem and came up with this. I've used a SS for handful of years but don't have your problem but always thought this might provide a extra push for long runs. Install this halfway down your run .Just a standard PVC "T" all adapted for each connection and include a second vacuum breaker at water source. Pretty cheap to try anyway. I think with just lesser pressure pushing it won't override the Black entering the "T".

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2022502386.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	36833
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I carry a macerator pump and 150 ft. of 3/4 inch hose for those long runs.

I carry the pump in storage along with the "sewer only" hose. quick hook-up when I need it.

Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #9

Once again the ever generous sharing of information has boosted my confidence level and I am now convinced and ready to purchase the product, PVC pipe, two back flow preventers and get to work! Thank you all for your suggestions and sharing your experiences.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
I carry a macerator pump and 150 ft. of 3/4 inch hose for those long runs.

I carry the pump in storage along with the "sewer only" hose. quick hook-up when I need it.

Keith
Ditto re a macerator. I purchased one about 9 years ago and used it many many times. Never had a problem but I carried spare parts just in case. I now have a built-in macerator (still carry spare parts) and I will never have another coach without this feature. It makes dumping soooo much better IMHO. Don't require a water hose to dump, I just run the grey water behind the black to rinse the Macerator and hose. This is really slick.

But that system using the water spray to break up solids and dilute the messy effluent does appear to work but it still relies on gravity feed so I don't see where it can push any liquid higher than the RV outlet. But most certainly better than a stinky slinky and one can carry longer hoses using less space.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #11

I was in a situation several years ago when I used my SS with: The 10' of provided hose, 40' of 1" PVC pipe, and 75' of 5/8" hose running into a septic tank.

There was about a 20" drop from the MH outlet to the septic tank. I also put about 1' of hose into the septic tank which aided with the syphening effect. Worked well for about a month and a half.

===============================================

I used it another time with: The supplied 10' of 1" hose, and 125 foot of 5/8" hose into a cleanout that was about 4" above ground level and besides the 18" or so of drop from the MH outlet, there was a 12-14" drop in ground level over the run of the hose.

I found that I could begin with using the water outlet on the SS, then after about 4-5 minutes, I could turn off the water and rely on the "syphoning" effect to drain the tank--60 gallons of grey water and 40 gallons of black water. There were a few time that tissue paper would clog up the hose, but I could turn on the water and "blow" it out.

I also had the hose approximately 12-18" into the cleanout.

Much easier than using a Blue Boy
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #12

After reading all the helpful info I did the following (with the help of a good friend): I purchased the Sewer Solution and the extension hose and 100 feet of 1" PVC pipe schedule 60. (Couldn't figure out how to make the hose fit on schedule 40). Installed the hookup to the coach, connected and glued the appropriate length of pipe, snaked in about 7' feet of SS hose into each end of PVC and connected other end to her sewer clean out. Taped both ends to avoid any "spill outs" and used two flow back preventers, one at the coach and one at the well outlet. We felt pretty safe with all our precautions so we let 'er rip! Everything worked according to plan EXCEPT the SS coach connection which spurted water everywhere! Shut 'er down, disassembled it to find it was not properly seated (manufacturer's negligence) so with some elbow grease and determination I managed to get it seated properly. Working like a charm now!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBaby View Post
...Couldn't figure out how to make the hose fit on schedule 40...
Use the length of flexible hose that came with the Sewer Solution on the upstream side. The flexibility will make alignment with the Schedule 40 pipe less critical. Also on the upstream side, borrow the adapter that goes into the elbow on the sewer plug to connect the hose to the pipe (red arrow in the photo below). The end that fits into the elbow will also have a perfect friction fit into a Schedule 40 coupling.

Name:   adapter 1.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  33.9 KB

On the downstream side, use Schedule 40 pipe fittings and short pieces of pipe to cobble up whatever angles and bends you need to connect the last length of pipe to the sewer plug when the sewer plug is firmly inserted into the septic tank clean-out. Use a Schedule 40 coupling on one end of the adapter you make to receive the last length of straight pipe and a short piece of Schedule 40 pipe on the other to fit into the fitting on the sewer plug.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote