Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #1

Shack's all green and fuzzy, in the dungeon of despair...

I put the 24-footer up in storage. All closed up tight, with several Damp-Rids in it. Today, after the winter is over, we checked it out, and it is full of green fuzzy mold. The seat cushions are fuzzy, fuzz on the walls, not sure what the mattress looks like as we cannot pull the murphy bed down with the slides pulled in.

So, two questions.

What did we do wrong, to make it get all moldy over the storage period.

Second, what can we do to clean it up?

The cushion covers come off with a zipper, so a hot wash is coming soon.

What did we do wrong and what to we need to do differently next winter?
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #2

Woah. ..sorry to hear that

What part of the country do you live..?

I'm on the west coast where it's dry so can't help you. ..but hope you get it figured out
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #3

It looks like you may have stored it in the Pacific Northwest. Correct? You might want to talk to others where you stored it to see if they had problems and if not, what do they do to prepare for storage. One guess would be not to store it buttoned up tight. You probably need some air circulation. There are ceiling vents with covers over them. Leaving the vent open might help... or perhaps a fan running if you stored it at your home where you could check on it and have electric. Also, a dehumidifier would be helpful if you can monitor it.

Travel down to Arizona in the Fall and store it there over the winter. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I lived in Lynnwood for many years, (about 15 miles north of you), and I think it is just too damp all winter for leaving a trailer unused for the entire winter. Most folks I know do not leave the trailer stored for more than a month at a time and if it is closed up tight and never gets warmed up and an air change then mold can grow. I wouldn't think Damp-Rid or similar products would last more than a couple weeks in the Seattle area.

I think the answer lies in getting it really dry before storing it and wiping everything down with Clorox wipes might be a good idea too. Maybe think of storing it east of the mountains in the desert. My storage lot is cheap, secure and very dry. Other than that, try looking in to indoor storage. Expensive but often has year round access and no water or sun damage, not to mention mold.

Good luck with it, hope next year is easier.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #5

I run a dehumidifier all winter in my RV. I dump the bucket several times a week if we are in and out of it.

If you have that much growth though most likely you have a leak somewhere. My clearance lights were leaking a lot until I resealed them.

There is no way a damp rid bucket can keep up with any amount of humidity in a large space.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same thing happen when we loaned a friend a trailer while they were building a house.

They sealed it all up tight when house was done and when I picked it up....mold everywhere. Scrubbed it with bleach and shortly later we sold it.

You can't seal them up, they need air flowing through them. Refrigerators must be open.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #7

Frank Zappa
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We used to have a sailboat we kept on Puget Sound and mold was a constant battle in the off season. We installed air vents to keep fresh air flowing into the boat. We also learned that if the interior of the boat was just slightly warmer than the exterior condensation would not form on the fiberglass interior. We also used Damp Rid and changed it religiously. If you have access to power I would put a small space heater in and keep it on low. Keep all drawers and cabinet doors open. Open your vents with vent covers over them.

West Marine sells a mold and mildew remover that works great on non porous surfaces and smells better than bleach. Bleach will also work at a ratio of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #9

can't help you on storage, I am Southeast and have no troubles. In fact we never store it, being at the house we find some reason to go into the camper all thru winter time

Just want to say so sorry you got nailed like this. Must be just nasty knowing you have to deal with all that mess. Sorry for your troubles!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

Yes, this is just outside of Seattle.

We are thinking of taking it to the beach, and putting it in an RV park with storage, and hopefully power, so I can hook up a dehumidifier and/or run the heater. Park it in a spot on weekends when we are using it, and park it in storage on a wire the rest of the time.

Up until this year, it has been on 20A with heat and AC on to keep it fresh, but this year we bought a 5er for full-time living and put the TT up in storage above our RV park. But no power...

We have a fresh tub of clorox wipes, so we better get busy in the next couple of days!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Frank Zappa

Yep! That song popped into my head as soon as I saw the inside of the trailer!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Yes, this is just outside of Seattle.

We are thinking of taking it to the beach, and putting it in an RV park with storage, and hopefully power, so I can hook up a dehumidifier and/or run the heater. Park it in a spot on weekends when we are using it, and park it in storage on a wire the rest of the time.

Up until this year, it has been on 20A with heat and AC on to keep it fresh, but this year we bought a 5er for full-time living and put the TT up in storage above our RV park. But no power...

We have a fresh tub of clorox wipes, so we better get busy in the next couple of days!
There is an aerosol spray in Lowes that is supposed to be effective against mold growing on surfaces and safe for fabrics you come in contact with. Lysol is quite toxic. I picked some up when my clearance lights leaked above the dash. Its amazing how fast mold grows. I would give it a good spray but use a mask.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Yep! That song popped into my head as soon as I saw the inside of the trailer!
Maybe you need a sinister midget with a bucket and a mop. ROTFLMAO
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #14

I see it in boats all the time.
The biggest mistake is buttoning it up and never going back to check on it for 6 months. Just like with boats. Customers throw a tarp on it and never look at it until spring.
I tell all my customers you must address the rig at minimum once a month. Open the cover, check/replace the dehumidifier, wipe down surfaces and check things over. An hour will accomplish amazing things.

Tags
air