Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #1

Shall We Take Our Car?

This may be a personal preference question so impossible to answer .. but here goes:

We will soon have a 33’ Super C diesel. For those with such an RV, does it make sense to pull the car behind? I have a travel trailer to pull our Subaru (picture below) so I’m safely set up. But is the convenience worth it when traveling, say, Arizona to Seattle and then back down PCH?

Does anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other?

Thanks

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82527157-F05D-4623-8AC9-2D3908059937.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	297568  
vanlieremead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You will be happy you have a care with you, especially if on long trips or full time.

We had a 25 ft.Class C and thought we could do with out a car. 2 months later we purchased a toad, and so happy we did.

We have since up graded both the rig and toad.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #3

In general, I just can't see us traveling in our coach without a toad. We use the toad everytime we stop, usually to visit interesting places, take a factory tours, find hiking trailheads, shopping or going from the campground to the snow ski slopes.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #4

The previous owners of our first RV said the were ok renting a car when needed. We bought a small car to use as a toad shortly after returning home from our first trip out of state.

Last Christmas we only visited family and decided to leave the car at home. That will not happen again.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #5

Any issue with finding a place for the trailer and the car? The trailer has rear supports so that the car can be driven off without being attached but either way I understand it’s better to dump the load before finding the final resting spot. I’m also going to make sure the car can tote the trailer around as well.
vanlieremead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have to have a separate set of wheels. We love getting out and checking out new towns and sights. Tried one time without a toad and will never happen again. Also did the car dolly and recently started towing 4 down. I will never tow any other way than 4 down again. Lol
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #7

We only travel one place without our car in tow.... Disneyland.

From Phoenix up to Anaheim its just easier to leave it home and use UBER for the 2-3 miles from the RV park to the amusement park.

Otherwise... the Jeep always goes with us.
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We had a Class C for + 10 years and did not pull a car small enough to pull. We sometimes would bring a vehicle, driving separately but most of the time we didn't bring the car.

We got our Class A with plenty of towing capacity. Our first big trip was to Alaska and we didn't have a towable care at the time, what a mistake, we missed out on so much.

As soon as we got back I started searching for a toad and ultimately bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We tow whenever we go on a trip, would never be without a vehicle again.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #9

We ALWAYS tow the Wrangler. It would only sit in the driveway and cry if we left it at home.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #10

I do the same, no problem parking the trailer. I like pull thru sites, generally long enough for RV and trailer. If no pull thru I've parked the trailer behind, beside , in a parking lot, any where available. Car can pull the trailer if needed as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlieremead View Post
Any issue with finding a place for the trailer and the car? The trailer has rear supports so that the car can be driven off without being attached but either way I understand it’s better to dump the load before finding the final resting spot. I’m also going to make sure the car can tote the trailer around as well.
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow our crv and use it to get around if needed. With 3 dogs you never know. We put our Cricket in crv and use that in RV parks to go to laundry or club house dog park or just got a trail ride. Only one trip to LA from FL did we leave crv home. Son had 2 extra cars and brought one up to Malibu TV park to use for the week. [emoji594]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #12

Keep in mind the ST tires on that trailer are limited to 65 MPH sustained speed.That's at sidewall listed max. pressure. One ST tire mfgr recommended replacing tires at 3 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Find a car which can be towed without a trailer or dolly! Then you will enjoy the experience...

A trailer for the car is too much hassle IMHO
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Find a car which can be towed without a trailer or dolly! Then you will enjoy the experience...

A trailer for the car is too much hassle IMHO
Agreed.

I can't imagine not having a car to sitesee and run around.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote