Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #1

Shared ownership RV clubs

Is anyone a part of an RV shared ownership group or club? I am in the market for our family's first RV. We have plans to go full-time in about 2 years. In the meantime we are looking for MH for a handfull of weekend trips and 2 or 3 week-long vacations per year. Realistically, I see us using it between 30-40 days per year. For something that will be used around 9% of the year, I find it hard to justify an outright purchase, even for a used rig. For some of our trips to national parks we would like to be in a short class C, while other adventures would be more comfortable in a nice Class A. I also find the rental market's offerings to be fairly expensive for what you get.

Is there anything in between ownership and rentals? Shared ownership clubs have gained much popularity in the boating and aviation arena, but from my research this trend has not carried over to the RV world. I am wondering why? As with boats and airplanes, RVs are HIGH cost, LOW use vehicles for primarily recreational purposes. I have never been a member of one, but I am familiar with aviation clubs: instead of buying a $400k airplane (or even $200k with a partner), you buy into the club for $40k (a portion of which you get back if you leave the club later) then pay the cost of use for each hour you fly the plane. And the club has several aircraft, each with a different mission. For example, a pilot may take a smaller, cheaper plane for local sight-seeing, a fast, yet efficient bird to a business meeting several hundred miles away, and the next weekend take the wife, kids, and dog in a large twin engine for a long weekend getaway. It seems to me that this flexibility and more efficient asset utilization would be a slam dunk for RVers. I would love to have access to numerous types of RVs, of higher quality and comporable or lower cost than the average rental unit, all without having to store or personally maintain the unit. Does anyone know of such a group? Why don't we see more of them?
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I have never heard of such a group in the RV market. I am guessing it is because there are rentals out there, offering what you describe for your vacation plans.
rdm1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
IC2

Boats and private planes are seldom slept or cooked in or taken directly to destinations such as Grand Canyon or Disney while an RV is your own personal home away from home with 'stuff' and 'things' that you like or feel you need. If you have a need for a few days or a couple weeks, Cruise America and others do a good job - but they are kinda bare bones with little individual personality (https://www.cruiseamerica.com/) but are convenient.

If you are planning on becoming a full timer in a couple years, now could be a great time to purchase your RV and get it set up with your personal 'stuff' and 'things' along with making any desired mods. It will also give you a chance to decide if you are cut out to full time. I decided that being a full time RVer was not for me years back though it can be a fine life style for many folks
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

I don't think too many RV owners would be willing to share their RV. There are too many systems that need specific care - plus maintenance issues and tires. A main reason folks have RVs is to have their own bed and 'stuff' readily available. Sharing isn't in their plans.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't think too many RV owners would be willing to share their RV. There are too many systems that need specific care - plus maintenance issues and tires. A main reason folks have RVs is to have their own bed and 'stuff' readily available. Sharing isn't in their plans.
Agreed. But good luck in your search.