Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Shell gas stations

I have had a shell rewards card for years. But things have changed so I shouldn't complain but things are changing in the wrong direction. I get 5 cents off per gallon on Tuesdays.... Up to 20 gals. If when you go iI pull in with my RV I usually needed about $140.00. So the pump shuts off at $20.00. when you put your credit card in the second time it says "see cashier". When you go in he asks how much more do I want. I tell them I want to fill it. Now the transaction is prepay. I hate prepay as it took a month to credit my account once so I don't do prepay. I tell them someone else will take my money. They have my credit card#what is the issue. Change your company policy. I guess these places are making so much money that they don't care about about 80.00 more from just one customer. Any suggestions. I guess just don't go there
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
I have had a shell rewards card for years. But things have changed so I shouldn't complain but things are changing in the wrong direction. I get 5 cents off per gallon on Tuesdays.... Up to 20 gals. If when you go iI pull in with my RV I usually needed about $140.00. So the pump shuts off at $20.00. when you put your credit card in the second time it says "see cashier". When you go in he asks how much more do I want. I tell them I want to fill it. Now the transaction is prepay. I hate prepay as it took a month to credit my account once so I don't do prepay. I tell them someone else will take my money. They have my credit card#what is the issue. Change your company policy. I guess these places are making so much money that they don't care about about 80.00 more from just one customer. Any suggestions. I guess just don't go there
I agree. I just move on. You need to tell the head office for Shell though, not the poor guy slaving at the register.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

It’s not Shell, it’s your bank card fraud protection system. Swiping the same card twice at the same gas station is an almost certain method to trigger it.

And the pump doesn’t shut off at $20, it’s 20 gallons. Which is a common limitation on many fuel discount programs.

If you go to another brand of station and swipe your card 2X the same thing is going to happen.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:27 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I swipe my Citi Bank Visa card twice at the pump all the time without a problem. Haven't gone inside to prepay since I got the card. 4% back on gas .

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #5

I've never had a problem using a card back to back. What me off is only getting $3-$5 more before it's full.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:48 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I had to call or go on the app for my card to tell them i will be fuel heavy on transactions for a trip. 20 gal doesnt fill my trucks tank either. Now I can get the 5c off for each swipe. If i buy enough fuel on a trip I will get 10c off toward the end of the trip[emoji2]
Old 09-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
It’s not Shell, it’s your bank card fraud protection system. Swiping the same card twice at the same gas station is an almost certain method to trigger it.

And the pump doesn’t shut off at $20, it’s 20 gallons. Which is a common limitation on many fuel discount programs.

If you go to another brand of station and swipe your card 2X the same thing is going to happen.
Not that I do it very often but, I have swiped twice a few times and never had an issue.

I wonder why the company sets it up to shut off the pump at 20 gallons? Seems like it could be automated to give the discount for the first 20 gallons and then charge the normal price for anything above.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the individual gas station sets the limit on a single purchase. $80 or so ?? I have used my Shell card for the first fill....and than use DW's card for the rest of the fill.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #9

Sams Club Master card. 5% cash back any time any place on any gas on any amount. 3% on travel and restaurants. 1% on anything else. That's what's in my wallet.

Never have to double swipe.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #10

My Meijer's Master card use to shut off at a $75 limit. This had nothing to do with the amount of fuel you put in just a dollar amount. This has been since changed to a higher dollar limit. This card will reduce the fuel cost at a Meijer's station $0.10 a gallon as an example if diesel fuel is $2.84 a gallon my cost would be $2.74 a gallon. This is also true for gas cost if you use that. Every month I receive a $10. off coupon for store purchase since we have so, many points on the card.

When I am on the road and can not find a Meijer's to fill up at I will use my Sam's Club Master card. This gives back %5 on fuel purchase up to $6,000 a year.

Even at truck stops where I use the Sam's Club Master card for my fuel cost.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I swipe my Citi Bank Visa card twice at the pump all the time without a problem. Haven't gone inside to prepay since I got the card. 4% back on gas .
I used to be one of those guys that bought fuel with a card that gave a discount of 3 cents a gallon. It didn't take long to figure out that a credit card with 3% cashback on gas purchases (what I have now), makes the discount even better.

At $2.50 a gallon, a 5 cents off a gallon discount card brings the price down to $2.45. A 4% off gas purchase credit card brings it down to $2.40 a gallon. Also, the credit card gives that discount every day, not just on Tuesdays, and can be used at just about any station.

Tags
gas