Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 04:35 PM   #1

Shocks

I have a 2003 Fleetwood Southwind 32ft gas. It had 30,000 miles when I bought it ,now has 65,000. This Motorhome has been one you really had to drive to keep it on the road. I have installed a few mods like steering T plus stabilizer and rear anti-sway bar with little improvement. I decided to install new shocks and wondering if might have some recommendations or do’s and don’t are which brand might be best. Thanks for help always. [Mod Edit]
Kwmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 04:38 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Personally I like Koni, but then my MH has IFS and weighs 52,000#'s.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Konis for our f 53. We are very happy with them.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #4

Koni’s have a lot of fans on this and other forums and they are good shocks. When I first got our Newmar (F53 based) I called Bilstein about swapping them. They told me the shocks that come on the F53 are built to Ford specs and that their after market shock for the F53 are built to their specs and should provide a better ride. So I got them. Not sure how to quantify the level of better but along with lowering the tire pressure based on actual weight, doing the cheap handling fix (CHF), described in infinite detail in the Ford owners forum the thing rides better.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:23 PM   #5

CHF

Check out the Cheap Handling Fix thread. Re-locating the front sway bar links to the inner holes on the stiffens the sway bar and dramatically reduces rocking. Usually no new parts needed.
stbljmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:26 AM   #6

Not sure about your coach, but many have long rear overhangs because they were built on too short a wheelbase and had the frame extended. For decent handling your wheel base should be 55-56% of the overall length. Handling gets worse as the ratio gets lower.
The modifications help somewhat, but its like putting lipstick on a pig, or making chicken salad from chicken sxxt.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #7
IC2

Shocks that I rust are KYB, Bilstein, Koni and some Ranchos.

The mods made weren't fully spelled out but a good 4 wheel alignment will often work. The rear end really isn't adjustable but when checked along with the front, may give you what is called an out of spec thrust angle. There are many 'net articles such as this that will explain it:https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...-thrust-angle/

Next is front wheel toe - in or out. Last fall I replaced tie rod ends and drag link pieces on my truck. It was then aligned at a Ford dealer. The tech put the toe at near zero which is fine for a new vehicle but not one with 135,000 miles since it wont compensate for other component wear. Massive wander and chase it all over the road. I had i reset back to 1/16" toe in. Wander is gone.

Incorrect caster and camber will also cause wander and twitchy steering but not quite so simple to correct with an I-beam front axle though a good spring shop can do the job easily. At 32 feet, wouldn't expect too much rear overhang but weight distribution might be off.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #8

Thanks for all input. Forget to mention it is w22 workhorse chassis,not sure about overhang
Kwmoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks