Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 10:11 AM   #1

Should I Re-Winterize?

We’re new to the northern Utah area. With a week long period of warm weather, I thought we were past the freezing temps so I de-winterized the TT early last week. We’re going camping in central Utah in 2 weeks. Looking at the forecast, now I’m wondering if I should re-winterize.

Daytime temps will be in the high 30’s and 40’s. Night temps will drop into the high 20’s. Skies will be cloudy to partly cloudy. What should I do?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 11:08 AM   #2

Being occupied with propane heat has different risks than unoccupied with heat "off".

When the temperature of the water in the pumps, pipes, and valves drop below 32 degrees F, the water will freeze. How much protection these things have will decide how fast the temperature drops. It depends on where they are and if they are next to something that is exposed or not.

One place may freeze and other places may not. Full water tanks with some protection may take days to freeze. Empty or close to empty tanks may freeze, but rarely are damaged. Tank drain valve can be damaged depending on the configuration.

Water heater tanks are exposed to the outside through the burner. 6 gallons can take a while to freeze. Use a thermometer to see if yours is close to freezing. Keep heater "on" for below 32 degree weather.

Small water spaces like in pumps, pipes, and valves may freeze quickly. Dribble the water over a thermometer to see if yours is close to freezing.

The pump and pipes in the "heated and enclosed" belly of my TT froze solid in less than 4 hours at 28 degrees F.

I hear lots of people say "20 degrees for a few hours is fine." I also hear plenty of people who have to replace check valves, gate valves, pumps, and faucets who don't discuss their freeze protection policy.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:10 AM   #3

Nobody knows until a water line freezes.

It sounds to me like you should be ok assuming you have a touch of heat in your basement.

But it sounds like you have the TT sitting empty with no heat in it now. It will likely freeze at some point during the night. It may or probably wont do any damage.

I can winterize in a few minutes so I probably would. Lots of people wouldn't and would probably get away with it.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:26 PM   #4

Is it really worth not doing it?? What if the forecast is wrong and it gets to 25 for a couple hours?? When in question, at least drain the exposed pipes and pump. What's easier to do, drain it or replace damaged components? What would rather say the next day? Draining was a waste of time OR, O damn, I should have drained it!
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:50 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I just got back from Arizona to Montana. It was 81 here yesterday and 46 today, with similar forecast as yours. I blew mine out. You can’t undo damage if it happens, but fix it. I prefer to not take the chance for the few minutes it takes to winterize.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:27 PM   #6

I’ll be winterizing tomorrow. I’ll sleep better.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:46 AM   #7

I'm also in Northern Utah and dewinterized a few weeks ago. I rewinterized a few days later. The weather forecast is a suggestion at best.

When trying to decide what to do with your RV, it helps to remember movie quotes. "Do you feel lucky, punk?".

Gotta go. Heading to Vegas!
Old 04-10-2022, 08:49 AM   #8

Same post zillions of times this time of year...if it is going to get below freezing, and you aren't heating the coach, it needs to be winterized.
Nothing more than that.

Tags
winter, winterize