Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do I take the RV or not?
Yes-Take the RV and the unknown problems. 12 26.67%
No, it is not worth the risk. 33 73.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 07:23 PM   #1

Should I take a 1994 Coachmen Destiny as a gift?

My wife and I have a 31' Fleetwood Jamboree C-Class motor home. It runs great and we enjoy traveling with it. I have been offered a 1994 Coachman Destiny at no cost but the unit is 1500 miles away. I believe that the RV/Cummins diesel only has about 60K on it and that it ran well when it was put into storage after a trip from Maryland to Texas. It has been in outdoor storage for the last 9 years and not been started up in the last 6 or 7 years.. Recently, the current owner installed a new battery and tried to fire it up. He reported that it was difficult to start and would not continue to run after the engine was started. At first thought, it sounds like a pretty good deal, but I am not a mechanic. I've been looking at everything that I can read about in a similar situation on a non-running diesel. The fuel is obviously old and might have been put in 7 to 10 years ago when he 1st moved to Texas. I know that old gas can turn into varnish but don't know about trying to run old diesel fuel. The owner first put this RV in storage 9 years ago but said that he used to take it out every month or two and drive it 5 miles to exercise it. I realize that it could be a fuel filter problem and have even speculated that mice/rats have nested in the RV and chewed up the wiring, but have no inspection information or indications to verify that. Here's the big question: do I take the gift of the RV or not? It is 1500 miles from home. Off the top, I will need to replace all six of the old tires. I could probably afford to spend a max of $8K or $9K replacing the tires and getting it road worthy but no more, since it will likely cost another $1,500 to drive it home. This decision calls for more knowledge than I have so I am asking this community to make their best guesses/predictions about a happy or miserable end to the story.
Special.Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 07:31 PM   #2

Stick with what you got Special. Ed. There is going to be so many hidden cost, they will drive you nuts regretting taking it, just because it's free.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:33 PM   #3

call a local (where the motor home is located) diesel mechanic and have him go out and look at the unit and give you a estimate on what he would charge to get it ready to roll down the road .Have him list all the things it will need done ! He will most likely will charge you 3 to 4 hundred to do that if you decide not to have it fixed!
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #4

After sitting 6-7 years before putting in a new battery and cranking on it the oil and fuel should have been changed, now any water that has settled in the oil and fuel has been pulled through the engine and fuel system. I'll never understand why people will crank an engine that hasn't been started in years with the same old fuel and oil in there from the day it was parked, but they do it all the time.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would not take it.

1994, sitting in the Texas sun in storage for 9 years, paint, curtains and fabrics fading dry rotting, maybe roof leaks. Need new tires and will not start which is the tip of the iceberg. 1,500 miles away you have to hire out all the work and how do you coordinate the work. You would need to get it ready for a 1,500 mile trip.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #6

NO......

There's an old saying "never look a gift horse in the mouth"
WHY...cause you will instantly know it is a bad deal

Pass.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Between tires and expenses getting it running right and road worthy, you’ll spend about what NADA says its worth on good shape. And then there's everything else that’s deteriorated while sitting as others have said. It could be a good adventure and might turn out ok, but it will be anything but free and you might end up paying to get rid of it.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:04 PM   #8

I agree that it's probably going to need a bit of work and money to get it going. On the other hand, my curiosity would get the best of me and I'd still want to check it out. I have the time and a little car that's cheap on gas so I'd load up, plan a few vacation type stops along the way, and make the 1500 mile trip to take a look.

Ya just never know!
Old 10-28-2021, 05:03 AM   #9

Depending where it is in TX needs to be considered as well. That's a big state. Amarillo or Houston not so bad. El Paso is another story.
I would have to go look, but it would be cheaper to have someone send you a video or facetime with you about it's cosmetic condition. If it was me I'd pick up a friend and head out. Seeing is believing.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:19 AM   #10

Brings to mind that old sailing chestnut: The most expensive boat is the one you get for free.

I’d pass.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:32 AM   #11
IC2

Unless you were competent in the entire chassis components line up from front to rear bumper, that would be a pass. ad it been stored inside, it at least would have had some physical protection.

Low retail on this coach is only about $11K, Just to replace tire and probably brakes would be in the #3500 to $4000 range. Then a $500 t0 $1000 general maintenance (oil/filters, lube, etc). Add in new batteries will eat up another thousand bucks - and when all done with that, you can start on paint, interior and you will end up with a Mh that might be worth $14,000. Truck garages are at about $125 - $150 (and up) per hour. These values are based on NADA which are usually high along with my vehicle history.

PASS!!
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:52 AM   #12

Free is not always a good thing!

Sounds like a money pit.
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:57 AM   #13

As others have said, a lot depends on where the RV is now, and where you are.
If you are anywhere near Midland/Odessa, you could easily ‘flip’ this RV.
The challenge is going to be, getting this RV to you.
New fuel, lube/oil/filter, tires, batteries, then driving it to your place.
If I were you(I know I am not), I would go for it.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are looking for a real "money-pit" and project, go for it. personally, I'd pass and tell the current owner to try to sell it locally for whatever he can get.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote