Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #1

Shower floor very slippery

Had my first shower in our new Zinger and darn near went through the enclosure as I slipped and nearly fell. When DW had hers I put a mat down but it was not much better. Any ideas would be appreciated but would not like a bath mat as they are not sanitary and after time do stain and mark the floor. It is either fiberglass or acrylic but not sure and dealer does not know.
Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had the same problem. DW came up with the solution: make a paste of baking soda and lemon juice and scrub the shower base with it. Soap scum (which causes the slips) comes right off. The other thing we do is use plenty of weater at the end of the shower to wash all the suds down the drain.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

They sell stick on decorative anti-slip thingies in the bath departments of most stores. I've seen things like flowers and fish. They have an adhesive back to stick to the floor of the shower stall.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahon1993 View Post
They sell stick on decorative anti-slip thingies in the bath departments of most stores. I've seen things like flowers and fish. They have an adhesive back to stick to the floor of the shower stall.
We've bought a bazillion of them and have never got them to stick successfully.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #5

shower

Was first use so no soap film that is why we are confused,
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Its not just soap film that makes the floor slippery; the fibreglas gelcoat is slippery by itself, no matter how much texture they try to cast into the shape.

Do what millions do: use a shower mat and spray the shower (including mat) with Clean Shower when you're done. Then hang the mat to dry on a stick-on plastic hook, and spray the floor again. We've been doing that for over a year in the DS, and for 33 years before that in houses. No slippery shower floor, no mold growing anywhere, and no fungi rotting anyone's toes off.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Its not just soap film that makes the floor slippery; the fibreglas gelcoat is slippery by itself, no matter how much texture they try to cast into the shape.

Do what millions do: use a shower mat and spray the shower (including mat) with Clean Shower when you're done. Then hang the mat to dry on a stick-on plastic hook, and spray the floor again. We've been doing that for over a year in the DS, and for 33 years before that in houses. No slippery shower floor, no mold growing anywhere, and no fungi rotting anyone's toes off.

Keep the mat clean and you won't have issues. We've done it for years.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once you have the shower floor cleaned, and I mean CLEANED.

you can add those shower safety strips., daisys, designs, whatever to help reduce slipperiness. Any home improvement store/department should have 'em.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you are having that many slippages I would use a fine sandpaper to take the slippery surface down to something that is safe to stand on. I am never in favor of sanding something like this but it beats having a cast on a broken bone.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
New gel coat has a release wax on it. That is how it is "popped" out of the mold. Old fiberglass boat guy here, clean the area with denatured alcohol that will cut the wax and prep for non slip strips. I would not use the big box store gadgets as their adhesive holding power is inferior. Look at West Marine's web site, They handle non slip strips in different lengths and widths and can be trimmed to fit. The adhesive absolutely will bond. Used them on our boats showers and stairways.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #11

Clean the floor good then wipe it with 91% alcohol if you dont like the daisies Lowed or HD sells anti slip strips for showers once down they wont come up

Tags
shower