Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #1

Shower leaking under the trailer???

Wife took a shower this morning, and there is a puddle under the shower below the dump valve. The dump valves are right under the shower.

I have verified that it is water from the shower, and not from the gray line or the sewer line.

What should I look for under there?

I am hoping it is just the screw-on connector at the drain is loose.

All the ones under the bathroom sink were, and I had to tighten them a couple weeks back.

May need to do the kitchen sink while I am at it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160916_152132.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	139112  
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #2

Often too much flooring material is removed for the shower trap. The movement from lack of support can cause the drain pipes to crack. If you can find access above the floor, that is where I would start.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #3

Normal with new RV's. They are assembled by folks that really don't care. Good luck.....
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

No access from above, because it is right under the shower. Will have to go in from underneath and take a look.

Good to hear it is (might be) a fairly normal situation.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Normal with new RV's. They are assembled by folks that really don't care. Good luck.....
It is DEFININITELY NOT normal!!! Some manufacturers really do care.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
No access from above, because it is right under the shower. Will have to go in from underneath and take a look.

Good to hear it is (might be) a fairly normal situation.
I believe that you have a corner shower. They usually have an access panel screwed or pasted on the front. A photo of your model, that I found online, had a partial view showing a vent of some sort. Look again and see if there is a way to look inside.

My trailer was built by folks that just didn't care and the plumbing was cracked. I repaired that and then made removable wood blocks to reinforce the shower bottom. To do that, the heating duct had to me moved as well. The work was performed thru the access panel.

Before:

After:
Old 09-17-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Wife took a shower this morning, and there is a puddle under the shower below the dump valve. The dump valves are right under the shower.

I have verified that it is water from the shower, and not from the gray line or the sewer line.

What should I look for under there?

I am hoping it is just the screw-on connector at the drain is loose.

All the ones under the bathroom sink were, and I had to tighten them a couple weeks back.

May need to do the kitchen sink while I am at it?
I had a similar problem on our last coach that had a shower curtain for a door, the kind that folds like a window curtain. What I found was the bottom U shaped track channel that the bottom of the curtain traveled in at the area where it folded to wasn't caulked well. I re caulked it and made an additional larger drain hole at each end in the U channel so the water more quickly drained back into the shower tub.
Hope this helps IF you have a curtain type shower door.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #8

Yes, I have a heater duct in the front, and just before I got on here, I noticed it. Got on here to ask if I could move the duct out of the way and get to the shower, but it looks like you beat me to it!

Can't get to work until the wife wakes up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I believe that you have a corner shower. They usually have an access panel screwed or pasted on the front. A photo of your model, that I found online, had a partial view showing a vent of some sort. Look again and see if there is a way to look inside.

My trailer was built by folks that just didn't care and the plumbing was cracked. I repaired that and then made removable wood blocks to reinforce the shower bottom. To do that, the heating duct had to me moved as well. The work was performed thru the access panel.

Before:

After:
Old 09-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #9

Well lynnmor, THAT did it!

They were all a little loose, but the one that was leaking was WAY loose.

Luckily, they have a pretty good sized hole cut in the floor, so all that water was going straight down to the "basement" and not getting the floor wet.

But, since I am in there, I realized that there is no insulation in that hole, so I have a cold draft coming in while we are trying to heat the trailer, so I will shove some fiberglass insulation in there before I close it up.

We are in the Pacific Northwest, now, so we will need all the insulation we can get in a couple of months.

While tearing into this, I realized just how shoddy some of these trailers are put together. Crappy materials, none of the holes are straight, etc.

My wife said "what do you expect from a $24,000 house? You get what you pay for!"
Old 09-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #10

Shower leaking under the trailer???

Look again at my before photo. The flake board floor would push down on the black pipe, cracking it. The new wood in the after photo supports the flake board. Be sure to check that before you button it up.

I'll bet that you and I could do better work with a chainsaw.

Glad that had success with the repair.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #11

Mine doesn't have that flake-plywood floor. We have a wood-styrofoam-wood layer under the flooring. And the flooring covers all the way to the back corner behind the shower. It is waterproof, like a single sheet of linoleum wood-textured plastic. Which has been a life-saver several times, as every possible thing that could leak in the bathroom has at one point or another, leaked. And sometimes BADLY!

The drain and water fixtures all leaked on the sink (loose connections). The 30A receptacle comes in through the wall under the sink and we got TONS of water coming in through there when it rained, before I took it off, made a new gasket, and siliconed it all up.

And now the tub, which luckily just leaked down to the "basement".

And the hole is plenty big, from the factory, which is why it stayed dry inside when the shower leaked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Look again at my before photo. The flake board floor would push down on the black pipe, cracking it. The new wood in the after photo supports the flake board. Be sure to check that before you button it up.

I'll bet that you and I could do better work with a chainsaw.

Glad that had success with the repair.

Tags
leak, shower