Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2020, 11:41 PM   #1

Shut off switch on or off?

I'm talking about the switch that you turn off when you want to leave your coach for the day, etc and don't want your batteries drained due to a light you left on...

Will the house battery on a motor home charge if that switch is in the "shut off" position? For example, I have the MH plugged into my house to keep the battery charged, but the switch is in the shut off position unless I go into the coach for some reason.
puppyduks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #2

In many, I'd say most cases, with a converter/charger system, if on shore power, that switch needs to be left on to keep the battery charged.

That switch is turned off when there is no shore power and the RV is being stored.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If the coach is plugged in "that light" won't run the battery down.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I suggest you include your RV make/model in your signature so people with similar RV's can provide information.

In my case I can turn the salesman switch off and the batteries will still charge if plugged in. This will not shut off the inverter though so there will still be a parasitic draw. If I am not plugged in my solar can usually keep up.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a fairly easy way to determine what happens with YOUR rig, as opposed to what others do.
With the rig plugged in and the switch 'on' put a tester on the battery, it will read over 13 volts if the charger is active.
Turn off the switch and check the battery again, if the charge is now below 13 you know it doesn't charge.
Note that you should wait several minutes to check the battery charge after turning off the switch. The battery will hold a higher charge for a while after you turn off the switch.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #6

If your RV is plugged into shore power, why would you turn off the "salesman" switch?
Old 04-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #7

Be aware of what happens to your refrigerator also!
Old 04-18-2020, 07:44 AM   #8

Shut off switch on or off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyduks View Post
I'm talking about the switch that you turn off when you want to leave your coach for the day, etc and don't want your batteries drained due to a light you left on...

Will the house battery on a motor home charge if that switch is in the "shut off" position? For example, I have the MH plugged into my house to keep the battery charged, but the switch is in the shut off position unless I go into the coach for some reason.

On my Revolution yes they will still charge. I leave mine plug in 24/7 when not in use.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I suggest you include your RV make/model in your signature so people with similar RV's can provide information.

In my case I can turn the salesman switch off and the batteries will still charge if plugged in. This will not shut off the inverter though so there will still be a parasitic draw. If I am not plugged in my solar can usually keep up.
This took 2 finger taps.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-04-18-09-37-35.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	282019
Old 04-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
On my Revolution yes they will still charge. I leave mine plug in 24/7 when not in use.
You have an inverter/charger, not a converter/charger. Different systems.

Tags
switch