Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Show me someone who never makes mistakes and I'll show you someone who never does anything.

In my book if you've made some mistakes that tells me you are a busy person...keep on a-goin.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #30

I will try to keep this thread in mind the next time I back my coach out of its shed, as last time I was pulling in I had to be over to one side to miss an obstacle someone had left laying around, so that the passenger side mirror missed the frame of the roll up door by less than an inch. Now I just have to remember inch it to the left as I back out, otherwise .....
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #31

Trailer setting on the road in front of the house packing. Got ready to leave DW folds up the steps and we are of. Neither of us fold the entry grad bar in. Get about a mile down the road and see it in the mirror. Stop and fold it in. Neighbor texts about that time we forgot to fold it in. Next morning neighbor texts "Picked up your mailbox and put it on the front porch. No damage to the trailer but did a job on the mailbox.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Yacht Club we belonged to had the "Floundered Oar Award"
Maybe we need such for RVs.
A crusty broken paddle with Bronze Plack. Only awarded to non injury events.

I only got it once, for sinking a car with my wake. The car was already in the river, and the newspaper cameraman was there.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #33

Years ago, when we bought our current MH, we got it from the dealer and drove a few miles to an RV park. We stay there a few days visiting family. When we left, I needed fuel so went to the corner gas station. They did not carry diesel fuel so had to leave to find one that did. As I attempted to make a big left hand turn, that I saw was going to be tight, I was running out of room. There was some hedge type brush on the right side which I though I could squeeze through. What I did not know was that there was a steel post inside the hedge. Off came the right side mirror. Had to drive a few hundred miles to a service center to have it replaced. $750.00 later, I could see down my right side. It happens!!!!!!!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
did you know that roof corner of your house is lower than the side of the motor home. it will also make a nice gouge in the side
Yep. Knocked off an inch or so on the corner of my tile roof. Just barley touched it, no damage to the coach but the roof is now incomplete.

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:26 PM   #35

Left a park and drove about 8 hours. Pulled into a rest area for the night and did my usual walk around. As I approached the jeep TJ toad i thought, that’s a weird smell. Looked into the window and saw the transfer case was in drive and the gear shift was in neutral. Bye bye 2500.00.

Funny thing is that this happened after about 4 years on the road full timing and over probably 75,000 miles of travel. I had done the correct procedure hundreds of times.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #36

First long trip out. About 400 miles. Didn't hook up the toad brake system entirely correct. Set the brakes on fire on toad. Fortunately there was a Ford dealer close to where we were camped. $2600 brake job and three days later, lesson learned.

Second long trip out. About 1500 mi. Was following Google maps to an unfamiliar campground, had it set on quickest route, not wise in a 37ft. RV with a toad behind. She took me on a tiny farm road, (she being Google Bit**, as she is now known in my family) with a 90 deg. switchback, took it too fast, toad collided with the rear quarter of the coach. $3000 damage to the toad, and $2000 to the coach. Only cost me the $500 deductible, but DW was not enthralled with full-timing just then. Oh yeah, and destroyed the tow bar, had to replace that, another $800. Lesson #2 learned.

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #37

Yup, I joined the club less than a month after we bought our “new to us” M/H. We keep it stored at a friends, but bring it home just before setting out to load it up with last minute items etc. I was trying to get off the road as much as possible and backed right into a metal street light pole. Ouch! Just missed the ladder, but punched a hole in the fiberglass cap, as well as creating numerous hairline cracks. I did the body repair myself, and had a friend that owns a sign company paint it. It ain’t perfect, but almost no one notices.

Feeling better PNWGirl?
Old 03-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohurry View Post
Yup, I joined the club less than a month after we bought our “new to us” M/H. We keep it stored at a friends, but bring it home just before setting out to load it up with last minute items etc. I was trying to get off the road as much as possible and backed right into a metal street light pole. Ouch! Just missed the ladder, but punched a hole in the fiberglass cap, as well as creating numerous hairline cracks. I did the body repair myself, and had a friend that owns a sign company paint it. It ain’t perfect, but almost no one notices.

Feeling better PNWGirl?
Is it perverse to say I do? Reading all of the stories is also are educational.

The RV repair place shop manager said to me "on the plus side, you'll never do this again". I also think that reading all of your stories might help me to avoid additional 'crunches'.

THANK YOU ALL FOR GENEROUSLY SHARING YOUR STORIES!!!
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
The Yacht Club we belonged to had the "Floundered Oar Award"
Maybe we need such for RVs.
A crusty broken paddle with Bronze Plack. Only awarded to non injury events.

I only got it once, for sinking a car with my wake. The car was already in the river, and the newspaper cameraman was there.
Oh no!! That really adds insult to injury when your 'stellar' moment is filmed for prosperity!!
Old 03-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor2 View Post
First long trip out. About 400 miles. Didn't hook up the toad brake system entirely correct. Set the brakes on fire on toad. Fortunately there was a Ford dealer close to where we were camped. $2600 brake job and three days later, lesson learned.

Second long trip out. About 1500 mi. Was following Google maps to an unfamiliar campground, had it set on quickest route, not wise in a 37ft. RV with a toad behind. She took me on a tiny farm road, (she being Google Bit**, as she is now known in my family) with a 90 deg. switchback, took it too fast, toad collided with the rear quarter of the coach. $3000 damage to the toad, and $2000 to the coach. Only cost me the $500 deductible, but DW was not enthralled with full-timing just then. Oh yeah, and destroyed the tow bar, had to replace that, another $800. Lesson #2 learned.
Why is it our life lessons are on the spendy side?
Old 03-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Why is it our life lessons are on the spendy side?
Because we're just silly that way!
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp5 View Post
I made it a half a mile from picking up the rv and while driving in the residential area forgot to take into account the lurking trees. The branches scraped the entire upper side and roof. Having it smogged two days later a teenager backed into it. Then when parking at my buddies house he backed into the corner roof and took out a tile or two while giving the rv another bruise. All damage happened within a four day period. Luckily, he is a CEO for a major car/truck dealer with a body shop and when I give the word (I'm gonna wait another couple of trips just in case) he'll take care of all the boo boos.
Oh my word!!! I wouldn't be surprised, after all that, if you said "yep, this rig is an accident magnet". You have my sympathy, thank you for sharing!