Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Sittin' by the side of the road (to the tune of Dock of a Bay)

I don't know where to put this since I DON'T SEE a forum for "disasters".
Today, about 4 hours out from Death Valley on the way to Sedona, a car pulled up next to me and the passenger gestured wildly and mouthed "Tire".

So, I pulled over - NONE of the tire monitors (truck or trailer) was screaming, but I figured I'd check...

Driver side - good, 2 tires, both rims off the ground. PASSENGER side - Hm... ONLY ONE TIRE. NOT a flat - the whole tire, rim, brake drum, bearings, brake parts, EVERYTHING GONE. Fortunately, we have (accompanied by fanfare) GOOD SAM ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE. And if EVER there was a time for roadside assistance, this would be it!

So, I called 'em. And pressed many buttons in response to the robot - at LEAST 3 times as it persisted in alternating between telling me "HOW BUSY WE ARE but WE'LL GET TO YOU WHEN WE CAN" and having it REPEAT the same questions and making me press the buttons again.

Eventually, 18 or 19 hours later - or maybe the 20 minutes JUST SEEMED like 18 hours as the traffic blasted past a foot away, I got someone. Who, when I told him what I had - or rather DIDN'T have any more - demanded that I go TAKE A PICTURE OF THE MISSING WHEEL AND TEXT IT TO HIM!

Which after he insisted that I do this BEFORE HE COULD "HELP ME", I did. Then waited for the call back.

Eventually, he did. And said it seemed likely they'd have to tow the trailer... So, off he went to find someone to tow it the 30 miles to Kingman, AZ.

And eventually called back (a LONG eventually) to tell me he COULDN'T FIND ANYONE. I suggested that MAY NOT be an optimal response from them and he indicated he had 4 or 5 more numbers he COULD try.

I suggested he DO SO... Eventually, he called back again and said, essentially, "nope nobody to tow it". And told me to call 911 because the police MIGHT BE ABLE TO FORCE SOMEONE TO TOW IT TO TOWN.

I asked to speak to a manager. Who told me "yup, nobody to tow it. Call 911." I suggested that washing their hands of the "roadside assistance" situation was LESS THAN OPTIMAL. At which point he informed me that "we've been working on this ONE CALL for almost TWO HOURS." Is there some time limit on how much time they're supposed to devote to resolving an issue like this?

ANYHOW, short answer - if you're PAYING these people for this coverage, and you ever have a major problem, I wouldn't count on them getting it successfully resolved.

And yeah, I'm SURE somebody out there is going to tell me how GREAT Good Sam did when THEY had a problem, but they TOTALLY sucked on this one.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are you still there, or did you get this resolved?

Totally rediculous response from G.S !!
Old 03-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #3

Really sad....guess we won't be renewing that membership. Hope you are safe and well and getting repaired.
coachkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #4

Just spent a week there. Sorry for your misfortune. Hope you got the help you needed!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Coachnet and had a breakdown in January. I was on the side of I 5 Southbound, South of Tracy, CA. They first told me the only repair shop that would take me was in San Jose about an 80 mile tow and not on my travel path. When I said no, they called back and said they found a shop in Turlock that would take me. They then had to find a towing company with the right sized truck that would tow me. It all finally worked out except for the tow truck driver who had no clue how to tow a MH.

I don't blame Coachnet as I realize that they are just a Company that finds repair facilities and tow companies that will accept the job. None of Roadside Assistance companies own their own equipment so they are at the mercy of the service providers they contract with.

I am not happy with the setup but don't know how to solve the problem.

Just my opinion, I am not making excuses for what happened to you.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about your situation. I realize that Good Sam, Coachnet etc are not tow companies and just contract with tow companies but if they are going to take your money and sell you roadside assistance then they should have tow companies in most all areas, especially near major roads, on contract to provide their service and not have you wait on the side of the road for hours while they call around.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We had an A/C compressor on our DP freeze up in Camp Verde, near Sedona, last month and couldn't drive the coach. We were looking at having to tow it to Flagstaff. Luckily, I was able to bypass the A/C compressor with a shorter belt and get home.

I know it will probably never happen again, but in your situation, strap or chain the one axle up and drive slowly until you reach a place to repair it. They also could have thrown a dolly under that side of the trailer. Doesn't sound like they tried very hard.

I would cancel your Good Sam plan and demand your full payment back for the yearly plan.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:03 PM   #8

May have to pay up front

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
And yeah, I'm SURE somebody out there is going to tell me how GREAT Good Sam did when THEY had a problem, but they TOTALLY sucked on this one.
Not tell you how great, but I had the same happen to me in the middle of nowhere in Texas. I refused to call 911, we'd already had the local sheriff check on us during our hours stint on the side of the road. I insisted they find a tow company. They did but only if we paid up front. They had to have someone come from an hour away (and tow us 50 miles in the opposite of direction). We had a motorhome and 16' flatbed trailer. They record their calls, so I made a point of saying I would pay and expect reimbursement. Since it wasn't one of their contract tow companies (who sometimes take shortcuts and use less desirable equipment) the company that came out had great equipment and a comfortable truck to tow the trailer and transport us. GS reimbursed all the tow related expenses.

The company owner told us all the emergency tow services work pretty much the same, which is why he demands his money at time of service. He was super. I put it on a credit card and had the reimbursement funds in time to to pay the bill without any service charges.

I hope you have gotten it worked out. I understand the misery of spending 5 hrs on the side of the road getting buffeted every time a car passed. Bottom line I was glad to get the reimbursement. And I keep the GSRA booklet and have been known to read it to the call taker. http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #9

We broke down leaving Moab, Utah last year. We have A A A insurance. We called and asked for help. It took about an hour for the truck to get there. A A A called every 10 minutes to make sure we were still safe. The driver did the job right and towed us back to town to the Ford dealer. Even reconnected the drive line. It was an A+ service all the way around! And it didn't cost us a dime.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow... I'm surprised... I had a lockout... called GS, less than 20 mins I was on my way... I do have to admit, loading a trailer onto a flatbed truck is almost an impossible task. But a driver should have "strapped up" the axle for you so you could get to kingman, and if you were to afraid to drive it that way, then towed it into town on his truck.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
We broke down leaving Moab, Utah last year. We have A A A insurance. We called and asked for help. It took about an hour for the truck to get there. A A A called every 10 minutes to make sure we were still safe. The driver did the job right and towed us back to town to the Ford dealer. Even reconnected the drive line. It was an A+ service all the way around! And it didn't cost us a dime.

X2 here, AAA member for 28 years and have never had a problem.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #12

WOW that is just a very rough situation for sure! I would be in 'one of my states' after all that mess

and to lose an entire wheel!!

I hope everything is in fine order now for you!!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
Wow... I'm surprised... I had a lockout... called GS, less than 20 mins I was on my way... I do have to admit, loading a trailer onto a flatbed truck is almost an impossible task. But a driver should have "strapped up" the axle for you so you could get to kingman, and if you were to afraid to drive it that way, then towed it into town on his truck.
Just for grins I watch this YouTube channel. Here is towing a trailer with a bad wheel bearing:

/

It's a matter of having the right equipment and knowing how to use it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #14

So, as far as we know, dkperez is still on the side of the road posting about Good Sam RSA . . . . I hope they eventually got towed in or the situation resolved safely
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote