Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #1

Skirting for rodent control

Has anyone had success using skirting to keep mice and other animals out? We have a problem with squirrels at my house. They've been chewing wires on strings of lights by our patio and we're worried they will damage our motorhome once we get it. We've had mice in our garage on and off for over 20 years and they've never bothered our cars. We also have a fridge and a freezer in the garage and the mice never bother them either. We did have them chew on wires to our sprinkler control box years ago, but I put the wires inside a sturdy hose and that solved the problem. I was thinking that skirting would almost certainly keep squirrels out, but not sure about mice.

Our neighborhood also has a problem with wasps. Wasps have nests in the fencing around our house and have also been known to build nests in the ground. We had a problem a few years ago with them getting under the siding right at the foundation, and getting in the house. Wasp killer spray and spray foam eventually eliminated that problem, but since the motorhome will be parked only a few feet from a fence where wasps have been seen, what sort of prevention measures should we take?

Thanks.
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #2

Some folks have placed sheet metal flashing, ~12” high, around the tires to prevent mice from gaining entry. It is believed that the world record for a vertical leap by a non-steroid using field mouse is less than 12”. They can also enter by shimmying up a power cord.

Don’t underestimate their ability to get on each others shoulders to breach the 12” barrier or to simply chew through whatever is necessary to get in.

Traps may catch them. Poison attracts them, while at the same time effectively killing them. Hungry cats kill them. Sonic deterrents are useless. They eat Irish Spring.

Squirrels are unstoppable. Best of luck.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I seriously doubt that you could install any sort of skirting that would deter a mouse or squirrel for more than a few moments. Mice especially can and do squeeze thru incredibly small openings, e.g. along wires and pipes or at inadequately sealed joints. For example, holes in and around the front cap or engine bay are a prime source of entry. We had one coach where a red squirrel climbed up behind the rear cap and entered the area between ceiling and roof.

There are repellents for critters of various types that might help. I suggest you Google 'rodent repellent' to see what is available.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #4

sounds like a couple cats are in order.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I can’t imagine skirting keeping mice out. A better solution would be to set traps baited with peanut butter on the ground just inside all wheels. Mice can fit between two pages in a book, so your skirting would have to be permanent and well sealed. They also like Snickers but I can never bring myself to share those with them.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #6

A decade ago a friend was storing expensive electronic equipment in a warehouse... Picture a dozen electronic cabinets 6 feet tall and about 20-24 inches on a side. The warehouse had rats and mice (mice can get through any hole bigger than a dime). The base of each cabinet had several cable entrance holes ranging from 1 inch to 2 inches...

He tried tarps with sandbags to weight them down around the perimeter... they chewed through them. Equipment got damaged.

He tried poison... found a few dead rodents, and more chewed up wiring in the equipment.

He called county pest control... They told him that rodents LOVE wire covered with PVC insulation, it's like candy. They gave him a tub of "bite blocks".

Blocks: https: // www.homedepot.com/p/Tomcat-4-lb-Bait-Pail-BL22244/205566244 Lowes and Amazon also has them.

Bait stations, in case you need them: https: // www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Killer-Resistant-Refillable-Station/dp/B01N6O3IB3

The final solution for the equipment in the warehouse was metal plates over the cable entrance holes, a couple of cats and continuous refreshing of the bite blocks inside the equipment racks and in the poison stations.

I have a friend that lives in a rural area and he has a squirrel problem... he made two of these and the problem is less... they are still there, but there are a lot fewer squirrels:
https: //

There is also a device called the A18 Squirrel Trap made by a company in the UK called Goodnature. Unfortunately it's not available in the USA...

Watch this... it's impressive.... https: // youtu.be/TL1HvJfID-4

if you know someone in UK they are available there. Google it...

The smaller A24 is made for mice and rats and is available here (and works!) from https://www.automatictrap.com
It would probably work on small squirrels.

I'd love to find a source of the A18s... Locally the squirrels will destroy an avacado crop... they will knock one down off the tree, eat one bite from it, and go do it again. A friend has a tree in his back yard and found one or two partially eaten ones lying on the ground in the morning.... total was 45 partially eaten ones and two intact ones for the entire season...

Mike