Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #43

We stay at Cracker Barrell all the time. Safe and usually in a nice area.
ambasatrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #44

Sleeping in rest areas

Never had an issue staying in either rest stops or truck stops. One time a truck driver did complain about the couple RVs taking up their space in the parking lot to me and another guy walking through the parking lot. The other guy was a truck driver and knew I was one of the RVers in the lot. He said to pay the other guy no never mind, that he didn't own the spots.

That being said, we always park in the smaller spots whenever possible as to not "waste" the space for a trucker.
nedw63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #45

Here’s a state by state listing of rest stop rules.

https://www.interstaterestareas.com/...parking-rules/

With the above being said we did a summer trip this past summer and boondocked essentially 100% of the time. Even in states that prohibited overnight we never had a problem.
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #46

We use the RV Parky app, it will generally tell if the rest area does not allow longer than a few hours of parking
soberlady52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #47

Solo Rvers Club
Watch for SIGNAGE when you pull into a Rest Area. Some states/localities DO post the length of time a vehicle can say BUT, that said, I've NEVER encountered a problem if, while sleeping, I've "overstayed" several hours. General rule (which some morons can't seem to grasp) is that you are RESTING before continuing down the road. You are NOT camping! NO awnings/stabilizers/jacks/grills/chairs/generators/etc should be deployed. Generally, slides should remain IN (unless the particular situation allows a slide's use WITHOUT creating ANY type of hazard/inconvenience to ANYONE else. IF, your rig requires that slides be extended in order to use even the most basic functions, THEN YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG UNIT! In such a case, YOU should NOT be using rest areas/ Walmarts/Cabelas/truck stops etc and, need to go to a CAMPGROUND where can safely CAN open your rig so as to be usable (and, be more careful when you buy your next rig)! Be POLITE to anyone and everyone who might be in a position of authority (these folks are VERY likely to be in uniform). A little courtesy on your part can make it easier for those in authority to extend a simple courtesy to you. If you are TRULY too tired to safely continue driving, they really don't want you to become a statistic and, are likely to allow you a reasonable period to rest OR, be able to direct you to a nearby place where you can get the rest you need.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #48

Jayco Owners Club
USUALLY not a problem

There are some midwestern states where the rest areas have designated rv areas and charge to park there. Electricity, water, and dump site are available. You pay at a kiosk and leave the receipt on your dash.
Once in the Orlando area we experienced an attempted scam at a rest area - shell game out of sight behind an 18-wheeler. We were enticed by a very jovial fellow. Fortunately I was able to just run away even though the group tried to block me.
So just use common sense and stay with your unit.
thenovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #49

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I prefer the truck areas (being in a class-A with toad, total length 60+ ft) and never have a problem. Sometimes there is a crowd often not to bad. Some states even have dump stations now. Never been asked to leave, have had LEOs tell me to stay as long as I wished, and to have a good rest. I even flag good ones in my GPS (and Google maps) so if in the area I can find them again.

I only use parking lots if nothing better is available.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #50

We stay in rest areas all the time. Regardless of the signage, published lists, or word of mouth, we've never been run out or ticketed. Our current Bus has 95,000 miles and the previous one was traded at 75,000 miles so we've been doing this a while. We try to pick a space where we can put a bedroom slide out to allow us access to the rear bathroom. If that is not possible, we put each bedroom slide out about 6". Sometimes it can be a bit noisy, but never so bad we had to leave.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #51
SPT

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
How are various states about sleeping in rest areas. Not camping, setting up pullouts etc, just stopping for 4-7 hours and catching some rest in the trailer. before continuing on.

I used the search function but came up empty
We stay in them all the time, never been bothered, and have stayed 8-210 hours, we try to pull into a end space next to a planter or on the entrance of exil where trucks pull off in the dirt and open up all slides. Just don't pitch a tent. No worries enjoy it your taxes pay for it .
SPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Standard width

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
According to this site, Arizona and New Jersey is max 8' wide. We will be 8'5.5".

We are planning on storing in Arizona. What do others do?
Standard width is 102 inches. We have lived in both states and never had any issue with our width in either.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #53

We just came back thru Kansas...rest areas along the I-70 welcome one-night stays. Free dump station at most of them too. Usually picnic tables, rest rooms, etc. but not for spreading out like you are camping. Off the highway enough with trees to block some of the noise.
2008 Safari Damara MH
WoollyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #54

I usually stay in rest areas. The only one that told us we couldn’t sleep there was the Tennessee welcome center on Route 81. Had to go to the next rest area about 25 miles farther, then no problem.
jlewi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
rest areas

another rest area info site [URL="https://www.creativityrv.com/rv-overnight-rest-areas/"
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
How are various states about sleeping in rest areas. Not camping, setting up pullouts etc, just stopping for 4-7 hours and catching some rest in the trailer. before continuing on.

I used the search function but came up empty
I’ve stayed in rest areas for over 20 years, once staying 3 days because of an ice storm. Best yet is I-84 E. Connecticut welcome center . RVs have their own area, away from trucks and cars, with dump station!! Fantastic beautiful place to stay. We stopped there going to Maine this summer, then coming back too.
SurfsideGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote