Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #29

The slides only leak when its raining....
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide out in the living area was mandatory per my wife - and she was right!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our first coach had none, we now have 3 and wouldn't live without them.
The wife didn't like the idea of the passenger side slide and the awning, but she got over it.
I told her if she liked the coach that was the way she had to take it since they can't remove the slide,,, she agreed to take the coach!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
More is better......
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slideout technology

The entire concept and design of slideout areas on RV's have come a long ways since their introduction in the 80's (or before). We had a Travel Supreme 5th wheel with 3 slides and full-timed for over 4 years with virtually no issues. The fiver was a 1998, and after visiting the Travel Supreme factory, I was convinced that the "systems" would work without a great deal of maintenance. And, they did, and are still working fine for the new owner.

We recently purchased a Damon Challenger motor home with 3 slide. It has a power awning, as well as a hand manipulated awning for the passenger-side of the coach. No issues with slides as yet - I think that the manufacturers have been able to access the best technology in slideout design. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase an RV with slides, it is the future in design and operation.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Allegro has one big slide. Having an opposing slide would be okay, but there's plenty of room as is. Having no slide in the bedroom means the bedroom is a bit small, but our bedroom at home is the same way. And since I do my own maintenance, NOT having the rear slide means plenty of engine access.

We be happy!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I would not have a RV without slides. The extra room on a rainy day is nice as well as the room you have on a extended stay. Never really had any leak issues, I guess I'm lucky.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
When we got our first class A, a slide in the salon was a must. That PaceArrow was a 99, and we had no problems with the slide at all.

#2, our Knight, is a 4 slide 40 footer. Twice as big as the pace arrow, and then some, thanks to all those slides. 7 FEET of open floor space across the salon. The coach will work with either front slide opwn, and the curb side is only 20 inches so as not to interfere with the awning.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Never really had any leak issues, I guess I'm lucky.
You could have leaks and not know it unless you get down on your hands and knees and feel the carpet at each slide corner. I bet alot of people don't think about it ( out of sight out of mind) and don't go around feeling for wet spots. I never gave it a second thought until a leak reached out and got my foot wet. Now I check.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #38

For the way we use our mh slides are not an issue nor desired. I firmly believe that the more holes you punch in a mh (slides, roof items) the more problems you will eventually encounter including structural, mechanical and aquatic in nature. Having said that I have been looking at several newer units with a single large slide for the added room. The nice part is that you can go for a shorter unit but still have the feel of a much larger model.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #39

Having a slide makes all the difference, if you get a leak fix it.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #40

After looking at a whole bunch of RVs over a few months we decided we had to have slides but we definitely did not want one on the front passenger side. Our reason was that it took up space we use as a patio. We ended up with a bit longer motor home than we wanted and two drivers side slide outs. For us this is the ideal setup. We have friends that have opposing slides in front. You get a wider room so you can have more people in there. So when we have a rally the card games tend to be in the rigs with opposing front slides. But for us I / we much prefer the two slides on the drivers side. It makes is SOOOO much easier to get into the basement storage, and when on the road we do that all the time.

Another benefit is that the house is stronger without any big holes in one side. I know there are thousands of RVs with slides out on both sides, but my humble guess is that in a severe collision having one wall without slides will be a big benefit. And last. Our motor home is very usable without the slide outs being out. Many quad slide motor homes are not.

We would never buy another motor home with no slides. We will never buy a motor home with more than two on the drivers side, or one really big DS one.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #41

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Out progression thru the years has led us from Truck camper to a 24' Travel trailer with awning. Boy that was the Cats Hat. But then again this was the early 80'.

Kids got older and we got away from camping. Then the EBAY bug bit me and with just a click of a button, we were back in the Camping scene . This time a 96 Pace Arrow Vision. My how things had changed in twenty years. No slides just a lot of amminities. Several enjoyable years traveling and then it happened!

A grand daughter for us to enjoy. We started chasing kids in diapers and thirty years later, still doing the same things.

Moved up to a Fleetwood Providence, with 4 slides and out door kitchen. To be honest, I didn't like the kitchen as it took up room under the awning. After two years, it will be a requirement in my next MH. We spend time outside and it's great having a cooking area, storage area, refrigerator and a place to wash your hands and supplies.But to each his own. Just remember to enjoy the adventures as you travel from no slides to 7 slides and maybe a raised upper deck in the future.
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
We had friends that had a class "C" with no slides. They gave us a lot of what we thought of as good reasons to have slides. Our first coach had two slides and a 18' awning. The coach we have now has 3 slides (1 front & 2 bedroom) and we have a 18' awning too. We like the idea that two people can pass without scrunching up amd the additional room for entertaining and inclement weather days.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote