Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #1

Slide Out Topper

We are considering a slide out topper for our hybrid travel trailer. The slide is about 12 feet long The slide is where the couch is (not that that should make any difference).

My questions are

1. Do you have a topper on any or all of your slide outs?
2. Are they worth the cost, meaning do they help do anything other than keep the top of the slide a little cleaner?
3. If the TT is not currently setup for a topper, can I install it myself or leave to a pro so as to be sure it doesn't leak or just plain fall off.
4. How often does the fabric need replaced?

The current quote I have is for about $750 installed. A little pricey but certainly won't break the bank. We are not full time by any means (still work 15 weeks a year in my tax business), but do spend about 40 to 50 nights a year camping.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions
Ricker991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #2

For me they are a must have!

1) Keeps debris off of roof top of slide. Prevents that debris from damaging seals when you pull them in
2) Keeps most rain/moisture off of slide so you are not pulling it into the RV when you pack up
3) Keeps direct sunlight off of slide top, which is the worst insulated spot in most RV's
4) Layer of sound insulation during rain fall

My current rig came with them. But on my previous unit I had them installed at CW. Drilling holes in the side of the RV is something I could do... But choose not to. I went with the Carefree of Colorado brand and loved them. The fabric was good and the tensioners did a fine job of keeping them taut but most important to me was the fact the fabric was fully covered in a shroud to prevent damage from trees while driving into campgrounds. I think I paid around $750 each for those.

At 40-50 nights a year they should last you many, many years!

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #3

Your going to get lots of pros and cons. Those that have them love them. Those that dont talk them down.
We put toppers on our fifth wheel with 3 slides the day we bought it. Replaces the fabric once in 13 years. If your in an area that gets lots of wind or rain they can be a real pain. Rail can pool and stretch the fabric. Wind can buffer them. Strong winds can rip them off. Overall they do as advertised, keep the rain, dirt and debris off the slide room roof. Are they worth it? That totally up to you. Personally I would never own an RV that has slide rooms without them.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
For me they are a must have!

1) Keeps debris off of roof top of slide. Prevents that debris from damaging seals when you pull them in
2) Keeps most rain/moisture off of slide so you are not pulling it into the RV when you pack up
3) Keeps direct sunlight off of slide top, which is the worst insulated spot in most RV's
4) Layer of sound insulation during rain fall

At 40-50 nights a year they should last you many, many years!

OK you convinced me and we have them on our slide. I read the OP question and was wondering just what good it was...heh. Of course we want to use ours a lot more than 50 nights a year, more like 200 days and nights.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #5

I've had both ways, with toppers and without. What convinced me was trying to clean 4" of frozen snow off slide roofs. If rain pools on a topper, spring tension not adjusted correctly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #6

We have one and would not one without a topper!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #7

If you get any rain pooling, which will happen in a good thunderstorm, all you have to do is tilt the RV to get the water to run off.
My toppers are brand new and water will pool. Does not stretch them.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Your going to get lots of pros and cons. Those that have them love them. Those that dont talk them down.
I'm kinda inbetween. Mine came with one when I got it used but it was pretty sun baked and failed a few trips in after buying. I can't say it improved my experience immensely and not having one hasn't really been detrimental. I'm mindful to sweep off the slide before I retract it and since I don't use it often, this isn't a big deal. If it was raining out or I did it often I would probably be singiing a different tune.

Something I didn't experience directly is I've read sometimes they can be noisy in the wind. No idea what amount of wind that practically means or how objectionable it would be. Unlike the awning you don't have a choice to deploy it or not, so if it's flappin' there's not a lot you can do about it. I left my hardware in place for such time I decide it might be worth it to replace the fabric but going on 3 years so far and I haven't been so moved yet.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:42 AM   #9

Our trailer had a slide with no toppers. I used to get out a ladder and sweep the tree debree off before pulling it in. Our motor coach came with them and we like them. We had to replace the fabric this year and it was about $400 each with a shop doing the work.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #10
IC2

We went 4 full seasons without toppers. I installed them myself with a bit of help from a neighbor. Never again will we own any RV without them.

- Cost, four slides was about 1300 bucks.
- You have three popular choices: Dometic, Carefree and Solara (LCI) I used Dometic as their instrucions are pretty clear vs too many useless cautionary words for the others - also easier to find.
- You will have to install awning rails if your trailer doesn't have them. A cordless screwdriver and som caulk is all that's needed. The supplied screws are self drilling but predrilling a hole works better. You also need two 8' ladders to silde the fabric in the rail
- They will wind flap. I just tied a piece of rope around the 13 footeer. The other 7-8 footers don't flap.
- They reduced the inside temps and a/c use down
- They will pool water but a beach ball or two shoved between the slide roof and topper will prevent that. Others have made up PVC tubing or other gadgets
- they keep the slide roof clean. I just looked at ours yesterday and the rubber roofing is as clean as it was after washing before installing the toppers. Keeping those roofs clean is a lot better then a potential 13 foot fall from the 5ers roof
- Replacement fabric - no clue but suspect these toppers may outlast our trailer ownership.

Installation is afairly easy DIY job but with installing an awning rail, somewhat time consuming.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We don't have them on our fifth wheel, cost vs benefit for them is not worth it for me.

If I get leaves and debris on them, I blow them off with an electric leaf blower and home made extension blower tubes to remove them.

If I were to buy a slide topper, I would get the ones with the cover that wraps around the fabric when it's stowed away. We have that style on our 20 ft awning and the fabric still looks new. It's made by Dometic.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #12
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
If I were to buy a slide topper, I would get the ones with the cover that wraps around the fabric when it's stowed away. We have that style on our 20 ft awning and the fabric still looks new. It's made by Dometic.
Those tin covers are a real PITA to install and are costwise beyond their needs
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #13

Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Those tin covers are a real PITA to install and are costwise beyond their needs
That depends on where you are camping... Going into Provincial / State parks the trees are rarely trimmed back far enough and they will tear the awning/topper fabric all to heck. Those covers are 100% worth it to my mind because of where I camp. Add to that the reduction in sun damage to the outer layer as well as the cleaner appearance and their value increases.

As to the wind.... The toppers have a much smaller exposure then an awning so they are generally far less effected. I have only had one night in Myrtle Beach where I felt the need to bring the slides in from the wind and that was for safety not for noise.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #14

Must have for us as well. Agree with all of the pros shared for having them.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out