Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
IC2

Slide topper tension

Well, I just installed a set of 4 slide toppers on our 5erand of course one of them sags and puddles water. Can I say I'm disappointed!

I've seen Joe's (MSHappy Campers) solution with PVC and conduit and if necessary I will make up a couple for the 156" topper which kinda defeats the real use of these toppers.

Question - has anyone added a turn or two to the tension springs? The 84 and two 90 inch toppers which so far don't sag, have the Dometic prescribed 13 turns as I found out when I had to assemble one that came apart. That 156" topper with exactly the same springsalso has 13 turns. Kind of ridiculous that a topper almost 2x as long has the same tension and no doubt that it will sag and pool water. Or is this just the way these things are and use a PVC gadget or a beach ball as the solution.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #2

I would,try a couple turns And see if it says. You could always return the number of turns.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

I thought material for topper is for stopping leaves n sticks from laying on slide. not to stop water or rain from going thru? what the heck learned something new today..
Old 05-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #4

You want it tight enough that water will run off but not so tight that it hinders the slide going out.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, are you saying that you installed the complete toppers or just new fabric?

If fabric, did you go by the topper manufacturer's chart for the number of turns on that model topper?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #6

I think the ability of a slide topper to shed water is more dependent on the slope of the topper and less dependent on the tension of the spring. I suspect a very long topper will have some sag in the middle of the roller that will also cause some sag in the fabric. Dometic makes a cradle to address the roller sag.

https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-b...-3309526-006u/
Old 05-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
How do you add turns with the fabric already installed?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I think the ability of a slide topper to shed water is more dependent on the slope of the topper and less dependent on the tension of the spring. I suspect a very long topper will have some sag in the middle of the roller that will also cause some sag in the fabric. Dometic makes a cradle to address the roller sag.

I agree, without a certain amount of slope they are going to hold water. My long slide holds lots of water, and it doesn't slop much. I just put two of the big pool noodles under the fabric to make it not hold water (which gives you an idea of how LITTLE slope mine have). Yes it's kind of a PITA to have to do that, but it beats growing mosquitoes on top of the slide, or having those gallons of water fall off when bring in the slide - some of which will find it's way inside.
If the OP's topper has a decent amount of slope, then I'd like to think that giving the spring another turn would help.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #9
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Dave, are you saying that you installed the complete toppers or just new fabric?

If fabric, did you go by the topper manufacturer's chart for the number of turns on that model topper?
Joe, I installed a complete new set of toppers from Makarios (a highly recommended seller)

I had to rewind one spring as it had 'slipped' its inner retainer but rewound both ends just to ensure they were identical

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post

The installation instructions put a 1/2 to 1-1/2" neight between the topper brackets and the awning rail. Mine are right at 1-1/2". That 1-1/2" dimension is the limit for our 5er as there is a drip rail directly above the new awning rail.

Just looked at that cradle kit - oh well 88 more bucks
Old 05-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
How do you add turns with the fabric already installed?
From what I can see, you pull a couple screws from the width bar, separating the arm and wind the spring by using that arms still in place
Old 05-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
From what I can see, you pull a couple screws from the width bar, separating the arm and wind the spring by using that arms still in place
Be careful and keep that arm under control. I have a friend who lost an eye to one that got away from him.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #12

Ours sagged and collected water. I tied 3 inflatable swimmers donut things in a row and pulled them through the gap above the roof with rope and tied them off. No more puddling.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Or beach balls from the dollar store

Floyd
Floyd2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #14

We used the big beach balls under the full trailer cover we had for our 5th wheel. This worked like a charm.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide