Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Slideout problem

Two question, first just got a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40 Qsh and do anyone know what this switch is for. The dealer has know ideal. Also my slide out on the driver side only works with the key in the on position not the acc. Call Tiffin and was told that it is a safety thing, which I find kind of odd seeing that I can put out the slides with the unit running. passage side works just fine in the acc position

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200516_091942.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	289185  
montyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #2

Tiffin probably wired the slide that way so that the voltage was up while running the slides making it easier on the slide motors.

The outlet very much looks added, the on/off switch looks like it just switches the single outlet under it. I'm guessing installed by previous owner. My assumption is based on the fact I only see one wire going to the box. Plug in a lamp and try it. Thinking that is what you will find.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #3

Slide out

Thanks asuperheat,

I just find it strange that only the drivers side is like that.
I will plug in a lamp to that on/off switch and see what happens.

Thanks for the feel back.
montyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Since about 2007 RVIA standards call for having the engine running to deploy jacks and slides. The reason is to assure adequate voltage and amperage to operate the motors. You are supposed to start the engine, which is why the key has to be On rather than ACC.

I'd guess that switch is for the outlet, either the one in the same box or the adjacent one. It would switch whatever is plugged into the outlets.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Since about 2007 RVIA standards call for having the engine running to deploy jacks and slides. The reason is to assure adequate voltage and amperage to operate the motors. You are supposed to start the engine, which is why the key has to be On rather than ACC.

I'd guess that switch is for the outlet, either the one in the same box or the adjacent one. It would switch whatever is plugged into the outlets.
My 2019 Newmar requires engine ON to operate jacks and requires engine OFF to operate slides. I don't know anything about RVIA standards.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My 2019 Newmar requires engine ON to operate jacks and requires engine OFF to operate slides. I don't know anything about RVIA standards.

And perhaps I am out-of-date on the latest RVIA construction standards. It's expensive to keep up with changes unless you are a paid-up RVIA member.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #7

...just a casual review of this forum suggests no rhyme nor reason to actuating slides or jacks?????? Example: slides in/slides out, engine running/not running, jacks up/jacks down, bags ups/bags down, ignition on/off/accessory--it all seems to vary by manufacturer..... My old 2003 with HWH hydraulic jacks and slides works on ACC or ignition on, jacks must be down and bags deflated for main slide to extend, but bedroom bed and vanity slides can be opened without jacks??????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #8

I akso have to have e brake set to operate jacks. Not sure if I need it set for slides or not.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I've owned 3 trailers, a Fleetwood DP and now a Tiffin gas burner. On the 04 Fleetwood, I ran the engine during the lowering of jacks and opening of slides (in that order), and ran the engine when retracting slides and raising jacks (in that order). With this '16 Tiffin, the manual states to do the tasks in the "On" position, but I run the engine and do the tasks, just as I did with my '04 Fleetwood. I've had no issues with those tasks, since I purchased this rig in '16. I do let the engine run for a minute or two, before retracting slides first, followed by retracting the jacks. Anytime that I couldn't do repairs or service myself, and relied on an RV service business, or mobile tech, they run the engine when doing jack and slide tasks, like I do. One of the RV service businesses that I've used from time to time, send their technicians to Red Bay a few times a year, and I trust that they're informed on the process, by the manufacturer, and see how those tasks are handled by the Red Bay folks. Mostly, though, my adult sons and I study situations that arise (and sometimes, go to YouTube University), and I handle those situations myself. We enjoy using our rv OFTEN, and these days, I would, usually, have to book weeks in advance to take my RV into a service center, and then, possibly wait days or a few weeks+ to get the call that my RV is ready. I've gotten to know some area RV techs that I trust, and have sent texts with photos of issues that I'm facing, and ask for advice. Most of the time, I get a reply with the steps to take, that encourages me to try the repair task, myself. A few times, I've reached out to Tiffin for advice, and have received VERY helpful responses in a timely manner. So far, so good, with my experiences from Tiffin. When in doubt about something, I can, often, find a post on that subject on IRV2. I've lurked on this site, and a few others, for many years, but recently joined. I've, often, found the opinions of Mr. Gary RVRoamer, Old Scout and others that have RVed for decades, to be very helpful and encouraging. I do agree with hohenwald48 about the ebrake. That's a must with me. And, on IRV2 I've notice more courteous responses to issues RVers face. After some decades of RVing, and checking in on this site, I feel good about, finally, joining. Good moderators, it seems. And, many good folks participating with their challenges.

Drive defensively, with more traffic returning the highways (I've noticed) after the closing months that were experienced. I-20 is back to being... I-20. Same with I-10, I-30, I-40, but also the same for some of the state highways.

Tom

P.S. - I'm not sure what that switch and outlet are for. I agree with some of the posts that it could have been installed by a previous owner.
TomsMaHauL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, slide, slideout, slideout problem