Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2022, 08:35 AM   #1

Slideout question

It is looking like we will be leaving our new to us motorhome at a summer seasonal site on the Maine coast this year. It is close enough that we will most likely be there every weekend. My question to anybody else that does this, do you leave your slide outs extended or pull them in when you leave? It's a well maintained reputable camp ground, I just don't know if any problems can arise by leaving them extended and unattended.
Britbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2022, 08:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britbiker View Post
It is looking like we will be leaving our new to us motorhome at a summer seasonal site on the Maine coast this year. It is close enough that we will most likely be there every weekend. My question to anybody else that does this, do you leave your slide outs extended or pull them in when you leave? It's a well maintained reputable camp ground, I just don't know if any problems can arise by leaving them extended and unattended.
The only issue I have ever experienced is having a seal leak. That might be reason enough to pull them in if you are going to be gone for extended periods of time. It only takes a couple of minutes to put them in and out.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:42 AM   #3

Our slides (3) were out 24/7 except for travel day for 7 yrs of FTng

Slides should SEAL retracted or extended....otherwise fix the seals
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #4

My choice would be to put them in. It's better protected from the elements and such. My RV repair guy with 40 years experience says he finds some floor rot down at the corners of the floor where the slide extends. He says he see's that a lot. If you have slide toppers that would be better. Slides are great but often their not absolutely waterproof.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Our slides (3) were out 24/7 except for travel day for 7 yrs of FTng

Slides should SEAL retracted or extended....otherwise fix the seals
Difference is that you are there to notice the leak as soon as it happens. OP is talking about being away from the rig for periods of time and the seals on the top of the slides leak a lot easier than the seals when they are closed.

I stayed in my RV for a couple of months during a move about a year ago and I went away for a weekend to wrap up some moving. Came back to a very wet floor and dinette due to seal failure. I had no idea there was an issue and I was away for 3 days when it rained.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:18 PM   #6

Put them in when you leave it.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:28 PM   #7

They sit at dealers with the slides out for months at a time. At least they did before the RV shortage.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:01 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The key thing that caught my attention is the Maine Coast. If you're near the ocean, I would bring in the slides as salt air can do damage quickly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:38 PM   #9

i would bring them in incase of high winds and its wear and tear on the slide out covers from the sun
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:29 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I leave our coach on a monthly site in the NC mountains during the summer months... This will be our 6th year doing so. When we first placed our first coach there, I used to leave the slides out when we were not there. With the slide design of that coach, particularly at the floor level, there were spots only covered by a thin piece of rubber between the floor of the slide and the opening of the coach body....

We arrived one Friday evening for the weekend, and found that chipmunks had entered the coach between that gap in the floor. To make matters worse, a small snake, we think, followed the chipmunks inside as well. From then on, whenever we leave we retract all of the slides.

We have never experienced any more "critters" since...
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have awnings that pull out when the slide is extended.

Back ~5 years ago I was sleeping when a storm rolled through and a strong gust of wind caught the awning and broke the spring.

So stuff can happen. I'd recommend you bring the slides in.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post
I leave our coach on a monthly site in the NC mountains during the summer months... This will be our 6th year doing so. When we first placed our first coach there, I used to leave the slides out when we were not there. With the slide design of that coach, particularly at the floor level, there were spots only covered by a thin piece of rubber between the floor of the slide and the opening of the coach body....

We arrived one Friday evening for the weekend, and found that chipmunks had entered the coach between that gap in the floor. To make matters worse, a small snake, we think, followed the chipmunks inside as well. From then on, whenever we leave we retract all of the slides.

We have never experienced any more "critters" since...
Another excellent arguement for bringing them in. I guess chipmunks are better than rats though...
Old 02-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
Another excellent arguement for bringing them in. I guess chipmunks are better than rats though...

The snake can eat the rats, problem solved.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:42 PM   #14

In my neck of woods, hail storms would be enough reason to pull slides in.

Just as an example, this week in DFW area we have had hail, sleet and a thunderstorm with heavy lightning and thunder while temperature was in the area of freezing.

Tags
slide, slideout