Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2021, 11:08 PM   #1

Slides/Levelers/Steps

These three things seem to be among the most problematic on most RVs. Are any systems more trouble-free than others?

Slides - Obviously there are many issues with Schwintek slides, yet they're installed on lots of RVs. Certainly there must be better systems. What is the best and why isn't it used by all manufacturers?

Kwikee steps seem to have many problems as well. I've heard reports of the motor being replaced 2-3 times and sometimes even annually. Why? Something must be better. What?

Levelers have problems with either extending, retracting or not working at all. What is the best system?

RVs cost quite a bit and if getting good trouble-free systems added another thousand or so I'm thinking most people would gladly pay it rather than having to constantly deal with problems.

What say you?
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #2

Who's makes the best cars, Ford or Chevy? Some questions don't have simple answers.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #3

I have to keep/spray this stuff all the time to keep it from sticking.

https://www.protectall.com/wp-conten...RubberSeal.jpg

2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Who's makes the best cars, Ford or Chevy? Some questions don't have simple answers.
Easy, its neither Ford nor Chevy, its RAM. See that was simple
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I would say both are pretty darn good.

I will say that I've had vehicles with power windows since the 1970s and I've never once had to replace a motor, and I usually keep them for about 200,000 miles. Windows go up & down thousands of times with no failures. My vehicles have gone on rougher roads than most RVs will ever be on, yet no failures to power windows, power door locks, etc.

These three things seem to fail on a regular basis. So are you trying to say slides/steps/levelers are equally poor regardless of manufacturer?
Old 06-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #6

You forgot awnings
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's not as simple as adding a $1000 to the price. A hydraulic slide system on every slide could cost thousands. Larger more sophisticated and robust jacks, either electric or hydraulic, again, could add thousands. So when you're talking about keeping the costs down, where do you save money, a smaller engine, smaller refer, cheaper hardware....etc, etc, etc. Many only shop price and then complain about an inferior product.

When it comes to electric steps, I've had them on five different coaches for 22 years and had only one motor go out on a seven year old step. A lot has to do with care and maintenance.

The major problem with RV's, is that they're wood, metal, and fiberglass, hand built and banging down the road. Many think that they should perform to the level of a Honda Accord that was built by the thousands, by a robot, to exacting tolerances. Many have unrealistic expectations. Consequently, something breaks and the words poor quality control gets regurgitated over and over again.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It's not as simple as adding a $1000 to the price. A hydraulic slide system on every slide could cost thousands. Larger more sophisticated and robust jacks, either electric or hydraulic, again, could add thousands. So when you're talking about keeping the costs down, where do you save money, a smaller engine, smaller refer, cheaper hardware....etc, etc, etc. Many only shop price and then complain about an inferior product.

When it comes to electric steps, I've had them on five different coaches for 22 years and had only one motor go out on a seven year old step. A lot has to do with care and maintenance.

The major problem with RV's, is that they're wood, metal, and fiberglass, hand built and banging down the road. Many think that they should perform to the level of a Honda Accord that was built by the thousands, by a robot, to exacting tolerances. Many have unrealistic expectations. Consequently, something breaks and the words poor quality control gets regurgitated over and over again.
IMO a few thousand more on RVs costing more than $150K would be acceptable in order to have trouble-free basic systems.

I also think if the people who build these things received significant bonuses based on how few units have warranty issues there are that many problems would cease to exist. Of course that would also require using parts that aren't prone to failure.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:37 AM   #9

Prevost based coaches have service centers too. More money doesn't necessarily equate to better quality.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
IMO a few thousand more on RVs costing more than $150K would be acceptable in order to have trouble-free basic systems.

I also think if the people who build these things received significant bonuses based on how few units have warranty issues there are that many problems would cease to exist. Of course that would also require using parts that aren't prone to failure.
that was exactly why I went with having a luxe built. We are all hands on through out the whole process, truly custom tailorered to us. If we didn't like one of there vendors supplied parts I just found exactly the item that I wanted it replaced with online and then luxe approved it if it met there approval. There is no cookie cutter with them. You dream it, they will build it and of coarse like you said, yes it will cost more money. Plus there employees are not pd incentive or by the unit so they aren't in any hurry to finish the job just to get to the next unit. It's a 4-6 month process instead of a few weeks like big box manufacturers. I know i sound like I'm selling the dang things, but I feel like I know there units as well as i know anything with all are involvement and 3 pgs of modifications. Definitly worth the extra cost if you can do it.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #11

It seems what's being said here is that the problematic slides/steps/levelers that are very common on most RVs are the best we can expect. None are any better or worse than others.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Remember that a major reason for lots of reports on a given brand is simply that there are more of that brand in use. Kwikee steps, for instance. 20-some years ago buyers complained all the time about their Dometic fridges, so manufacturers switched heavily to Norcolds. Now the bitching is all about Norcolds...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Itís all about maintenance and use

We bought a 2000 Hurricane 31-foot gasser this January. Although it was low mileage and showed little wear for its age, it still had issues, mostly due to having been unused for three years prior to our purchase.

Steps: the Kwikee automatic was glitchy and noisy. Sounded like rocks in a coffee grinder. I loosened it up with WD-40, then re-lubed with lithium. Works and sounds like brand new.
Levelers: no problem extending, but retracting was a different matter. Again, WD-40 to the rescue. After about four cycles, deploying and storing are no longer an issue.
Awning: the dealer replaced the fabric, but took the extra step of disassembling and lubing the moving parts before installing the new shade. It also works like new.
Generator: noisy start and heavy vibration running. Have done nothing other than check the oil, but every run is now quieter than before. It had very few hours on the meter, so I suspect the previous owners seldom used it.

The whole point of this is that the age of the rig is not the issue. Itís the use and care that goes into keeping it in shape.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #14
IC2

An RV manufacturer has a limited range of product that will fit/work in an RV. Remember that these now complicated vehicles contain about every gadget that a S&B homeowner wants/needs. Regardless of RV make or type, it's Dometic, Norcold, Advent, Furrion, Dexter, Lippert and a few others. The only difference being the final packaging which impacts the price you are willing to pay.

What it all boils down to is that you either learn to live with what you can get or find another pastime with boats etc. can be even more ...interesting

Tags
levelers, slide, steps