Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

Slides Open or Closed?

Since beginning our journey into the RV world, I've become much more aware of the various RVs on the road and those parked at homes. We were on a recent trip to Texas, and I noticed that some of the trailers and 5th wheels that were parked had their slides out, and some were not, probably a 50/50 mix. Silly newbie question - Why would someone store their unit with the slides out?
ttowntrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 01:32 PM   #2

Easier to restock or clean.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Some may be living in them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #4

It's a 'man cave' to some. They go out there to escape! Fridge is stocked with beer; add the TV and they're happy.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It's a 'man cave' to some. They go out there to escape! Fridge is stocked with beer; add the TV and they're happy.
Yes, there is certainly that
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #6

Slide seals only seal when the room is completely in or out. I store mine retracted, then extend it when access is required for cleaning or working inside.
When you see RV's on dealers lots with slides extended, it's because the batteries are removed to prevent them from being discharged and ruined while the RV sits for months.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Exactly!

We keep our coach parked at our home and I can typically think of a number of things that "need to be worked on" when I need a little time to myself.

To answer the OP's question, we have two slides and we normally keep the slide in the living area extended and the bedroom one closed. We also usually leave it connected to regular 20 amp 110v shore power as well.

I've dreamed about constructing an RV pad with 50 amp electrical service, water and sewer one of these days but that'll probably have to wait until I hit the lottery.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine spends most of it's time at home with the slides open (yes, my beer resides in that fridge).
In the winter, or if a storm is coming, I'll close them.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #9

I typically store mine jacks down and long slide out. Sometimes all slides out but I store it inside and plugged in.

Makes it easier working on, retrieving things and packing for a trip. Probably would still do the same if it were stored outside.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #10
EJW

Quote:
I missed that memo!! Hmmm...one teenager and one not far behind - It seriously never occurred to me to do this. Thanks for the idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:01 PM   #11

Quote:
All great reasons, thanks! And to the above quoted reason, it could certainly work for a girl getaway too. But I'll stock mine with wine!
ttowntrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
4 slides on our coach. We cant get to the rear bathroom and closet with both rear slides in unless we crawl across the bed. We put one of the rear slides out to be able to access everything but I generally leave slide in when stored.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:26 AM   #13

2 different 5th wheels and 2 different procedures. GF's Crusader mostly sits on a bay lot and if we are leaving and wet weather is forecast we'll run them in. If we're going to be back in a few days, we'll leave them open, one a/c set about 83 and a table fan in the BR to circulate air better. My Raptor at home, if I'm not going to in it a while and/or weather is an issue, I run them in. I'm under a 30x50 pole barn, concrete, full hookups with 50amp. I'm not keeping the refer going but will start up a week before a trip. Longer time than needed but if there's an issue I may have time to fix and not lose the trip. All slides all vehicles have slide awnings.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:05 AM   #14
IC2

About the only time the 4 slides on our 5er are closed is while thraveling or when the snow flies. If I don't have something to do in the hose, I can usually find a project in the RV - even if it's only to escape/relax in one of the two LaZBoy recliners
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide