Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #1

Slow air pressure build

Slow Air up..
Can I pick someone's brain on this thread? I have a '99 American Eagle that I purchased almost 2 years ago now and have had a problem with it building air pressure since day one..If I start it and just let it idle, it won't build up pressure unless I bring the rpm's up to 1500-1600 and even the it is very slow to build.
I hold these rpm's until it reaches around 65 psi and that noisy buzzer goes off! I can then idle it back down to normal idle speed and it will continue to build pressure to 130 psi..
Still at idle the pressure will SLOWLY decrease to around 110 at which it will increase normally back up to 130 psi..
My question is, where do I start to resolve this problem? I have replaced the drier dissicant and even had a mobile mechanic look at it and he replaced the governor(?)..it is mounted on the frame near the muffler and has a couple air lines mounted to it?? Do the dump valves have anything to do with the very slow air build and higher rpms's to get it to air up??

Thanks in advance for any info on this!

VWtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #2

If you pressure drops to 110 after reaching 130 and purging and your not using the brakes or moving, you have a leak.

There is no other reason for the air guages to drop.

Find a better mechanic.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Twinboat..
I can understand I have a small leak when guages drift back down to 110 psi before compressor kicks in again and goes back up to 130 PSI, so I'll have to find that leak (can't hear it so it will be hard to find, I suppose).

Any idea what may be causing my main problem of having to increase engine speed so much to get it to even start airing up??
VWtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtony View Post
Thanks for the response Twinboat..
I can understand I have a small leak when guages drift back down to 110 psi before compressor kicks in again and goes back up to 130 PSI, so I'll have to find that leak (can't hear it so it will be hard to find, I suppose).

Any idea what may be causing my main problem of having to increase engine speed so much to get it to even start airing up??
You may also have a leak in the lines from the compressor to the air dryer. They are hard to hear due to the engine noise.

They would only leak while it's running, due to check valves in the system after the dryer.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:34 AM   #5

Make yourself some ramps like these and then get on a creeper with a spray bottle of soapy water and spray anything that has a hose going into it or looks like an air tank.

Look at moisture ejectors and see if they are leaking

Also check ride height valves
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Sounds like either a worn compressor, or bad check (reed) valve in the compressor's head or body that are sealing tighter at higher pressure.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

The faster the engine is turning, the faster the compressor is spinning.

It's taking that many rpm's to overcome the large leak you have somewhere in your air system.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
The faster the engine is turning, the faster the compressor is spinning.

It's taking that many rpm's to overcome the large leak you have somewhere in your air system.

Which in my opinion is a high idle rpm for a diesel.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Has the air dryer ever been serviced? Slow pressure build is a common sign of a clogged air dryer on the compressor.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Has the air dryer ever been serviced? Slow pressure build is a common sign of a clogged air dryer on the compressor.
He said in his opening post it was.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:44 PM   #11

Yes the air dump valve can be leaking, the only way to determine that is do what RKins recommended.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #12

As others have said you most likely have a leak, I would start as Rkins suggested. Get your rig up in the air, get a squirt bottle of soapy water, a creeper, and a pair of safety glasses and start spraying every line, fitting, and component related to the air system starting at the compressor all the way to the brake system. Since you don’t hear it when walking around it you probably have several leaks. I personally would go front to back and back to front to be sure I hit everything. Then document what is leaking with photos and start fixing. My second thought is you may have a weak/worn out compressor along with the air leaks adding to the slow air build. They do wear out and fail.

You did not mention what coach you have or I missed it, that would be could if you share this info in your post or add to your signature page.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
As others have said you most likely have a leak, I would start as Rkins suggested. Get your rig up in the air, get a squirt bottle of soapy water, a creeper, and a pair of safety glasses and start spraying every line, fitting, and component related to the air system starting at the compressor all the way to the brake system. Since you don’t hear it when walking around it you probably have several leaks. I personally would go front to back and back to front to be sure I hit everything. Then document what is leaking with photos and start fixing. My second thought is you may have a weak/worn out compressor along with the air leaks adding to the slow air build. They do wear out and fail.

You did not mention what coach you have or I missed it, that would be could if you share this info in your post or add to your signature page.
His profile says he has a 40' American Eagle. The air compressor should be good for 100,000 miles.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
His profile says he has a 40' American Eagle. The air compressor should be good for 100,000 miles.
I must be blind I didn’t see it thanks for letting me know. Typically I agree that the compressor should last 100,000 or more. We get 200,000-300,000 or more in my fleet of over 35 vehicles and 20 or so are air brake trucks on average but I have seen them fail in less than 50,000. I have also seen them prematurely get week and have difficulty supplying enough air especially with significant air leaks.

Tags
air