Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2021, 10:21 PM   #1

Small Portable Generator

Hi All,

I will be camping out on land off-grid that I own while I build a house. I currently have a Wen 4750 dual fuel generator. Considering that fuel prices are going up, I am considering buying a second generator primarily just to run my well pump (600 watts), charge the batteries in the winter, and also as an additional heater (1500 watt electric). I'm not sure how much it would be used, but it could potentially get hundreds of hours in a short period of time.

I am thinking about a 2000 watt generator, probably a Wen also. I'm curious if anyone has done any real-life fuel tests on these to see how much they are worth the extra cost. Also, how many hours can they run before they fall apart?

The Wen 4750 generator uses a 224cc engine and apparently uses 0.36 gallons per hour at half-load.

The 2000 watt generator uses about 0.17 gallons per hour at half-load. But, I wonder what that will mean if I am using 1500 watts which is just under the 1700 or 1800 watts. I wonder if I am at almost a full load how much I would be really saving in fuel?

I appreciate any comments.

bb32
bb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2021, 03:29 AM   #2

For heat check out Chinese diesel heaters Webasco clone . Genny to 1500 watt heater is only 5200 BTUs very inefficient.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:55 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think your fuel savings might be a wash or close enough that your cost savings might take a very long time for you to recoup the cost of the new smaller generator and actually see a savings related to fuel usage.

But considering your scenario having a second generator as a back up might be a bigger factor over a potential fuel cost savings incase the primary fails (which is going to happen on the record coldest three day holiday weekend after a Canadian Clipper comes thru and dumps 3 foot of snow on top of a half inch of ice closing down everything) you'll have a fall back that will keep your life support systems operating.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:29 AM   #4

The Wen 2000w generator is $430 or so. That is about 125 gallons of gas. If you save .2 gallons an hour, you will pay for it in 625 hours.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator