Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Small Scooter, Moped or motorcycle recomendations

Hi - I'm looking into getting a small Scooter, Moped or motorcycle to put on the back of the motorhome for the times we don't want to tow a car.

Just something in the 125cc-150cc range to get us around the town not to get on the interstate.

Would also be interested in hearing about what racks people use to carry them with in the 2 inch receiver.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Hi.
I’m replying mainly to follow this post but I have done a bit of research. I think 125cc and up gets you close to 60mph so you can go smaller. I believe 50-75cc will do usually 30-35mph. Good enough for the city. I found lots of 125s on the net used however.

The racks start at about 300 pounds capacity for a two inch receiver so enough for a scooter and you lift it on and off. Honda’s are best but pricey but Yamahas and vespas are plentiful and many other solid options. I want to go used myself.

Good luck and can’t wait to hear everyone’s ideas.
trud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Lance 125cc Havanna Classic scooter. Weighs about 260 lbs. Any decent motorcycle rack could hold it. Even Harbor Freight sells a pretty good one.

Problem is with a fifth wheel, the scooter would block the tail lights and license plate. Not allow here in Calif and most states. We don't use it at all on camping trips due to this.

All that said, I would never consider a smaller cc engine for these scooters. Cars will be running you off the road constantly. Mopeds are small and slow. Ours is as small as I would go, and even then can be dangerous at times. And I am a ex-Harley rider with high skills on bikes....Other drivers are more distracted than ever these days.

Good luck and stay safe out there if you buy one. Mine's for sale, but I won't pay to ship it.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #4

I had a Znen 150cc scooter and it was fine riding around campgrounds and running errands around our small town. Hauling it on a hitch carrier was no problem. I am not a small person and it would top out around 50 mph. It was just to small to carry both myself and my wife with any degree of comfort and never quite felt stable with both of us on it. I sold it this spring and bought a Kawasaki KLR 650. The KLR rides quite well on my hitch carrier and is a lot more capable on road and off. It also allows my wife and I a lot more flexibility in where we ride.

Small scooters are great for a lot of a applications and are easy and fun to ride. You might also consider a light weight Dual Sport motorcycle, something in the 250-400c range. They are a lot of fun and offer a lot more versatility than a scooter. Whatever decision you make on what to ride, don't scrimp on the hitch carrier, buy the best you can afford. Stay a way from the cheap aluminum ones.
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:21 PM   #5

I am property-sitting on a farm near Eugene Oregon.
My ancient BMW is my constant companion.
I'll be 69 in a few weeks, we fit.

* One of our cow-orkers rides a UBCO electric from New Zealand.
The north America importer, the BMW dealer, is a few miles down the road.
Designed toward off-road dual-sporting, it is extremely easy to ride.

* Another cow-orker rides a ZERO electric.
This's a much higher performing dual-sport, oriented seventy-percent street and thirty-percent forest roads.
It is extremely easy to ride.
The distributor, the Triumph dealer, is down the road from us, and across the street from the UBCO dealer.

Irregardless of your choice, I strongly strongly recommend at least a basic Rider Safety Course.
These offer a variety of motorcycles to experience on a closed course under the guidance of TrainedProfessionals.
If you can, schedule at least one course for a rainy day.

Disclaimer:
My ancient BMW has several hundred thousand miles on thrashed logging tracks and that inter-connected series of potholes Californians call 'roads'.
My yearly (decadely?) maintenance costs are near-nothing compared to a new purchase.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:22 PM   #6

We are property-sitting on a farm near Eugene Oregon.
My ancient BMW is my constant companion.

* One of our cow-orkers rides a UBCO electric from New Zealand.
The north America importer, the BMW dealer, is a few miles down the road.
Designed toward off-road dual-sporting, it is extremely easy to ride.

* Another cow-orker rides a ZERO electric.
This's a much higher performer, oriented seventy-percent street and thirty-percent forest roads.
It is extremely easy to ride.
The distributor, the Triumph dealer, is down the road from us, and across the street from the UBCO dealer.

Disclaimer:
My ancient BMW has several hundred thousand miles on thrashed logging tracks and that inter-connected series of potholes Californians call 'roads'.
My yearly (decadely?) maintenance costs are near-nothing compared to a new purchase.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:12 AM   #7

On the back of my Class C:
(Honda PCX 150. Speed limiter kicks in at 63mph. Does traffic just fine. 112 mpg at last readout. 296 lbs. dry. I normally ride an old Gold Wing, and this thing is way more fun. Handles dirt and gravel just fine.)

I carry it on this:
( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #8

Check with your DMV. Most scooters or motorcycles above 50cc, trequire a motorcycle endorsement on your license. That means a motorcycle drivers test.
Just checked the TN DMV site. You will need a MC endorsement if you plan on riding on public roads. Plus insurance.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #9

Following. I have a big Harley and my wife has a Kawasaki Vulcan that we pull on a trailer BUT would like to just bring the Vulcan on it's own sometimes. It weighs around 450 lbs so would need something more than posted. Appreciate if anyone had an attachment for the 500 lb tongue weight.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp5 View Post
Following. I have a big Harley and my wife has a Kawasaki Vulcan that we pull on a trailer BUT would like to just bring the Vulcan on it's own sometimes. It weighs around 450 lbs so would need something more than posted. Appreciate if anyone had an attachment for the 500 lb tongue weight.
I use a Gopluss hitch carrier and it is rated for 600lb. I replaced the useless stabilizer that came with it with a StowAway hitch tightener stabilizer. I purchased both of them from Amazon. I carry a Kawasaki KLR that is approximately 430lbs wet with no problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MAM_1161.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	305291
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #11

Thank you Miller !
Old 10-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #12

You will never be sorry.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...-coming-to-us/
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipeflier View Post
Those are great bikes for campers! My dad had one of the Trail 90's back in 1970. It would go anywhere. (Had that cool two-range tranny so it was great in the dirt hills and on the roads.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, scooter