Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #29

One note if planning on purchasing any new electric heaters... look for more power settings than just 750 or 1500... Note that I am NOT talking about adjustable thermostat settings, but additional heat levels/amperage draws.

I have two heaters in my MH, both electric. One is a 700/1500 Delonghi oil filled tower, the other is a 750/1500 WalMart ceramic & fan unit.

The MH is a 30 amp unit and is parked next to a building... the main power cord from the MH plugs into a dogbone and then an 8-ga cord and then to a outdoor 15 amp circuit. One heater is plugged into an outlet in the RV bedroom, the other into an extension cord that goes out through the engine cover, over the ground, and is plugged into another outdoor 15 amp outlet.

The 15 amp limitation means that I have to run both heaters at the 750 watt level (6.25-7 amps) as each will blow the 15 amp breaker if run at the 1500 watt level (12-13 amps) for more than a few minutes... (I have no idea what else in the building is drawing power on the building circuit breakers).

I'd love to have a third heat level on each heater somewhere around 1000-1100-1200 watts (about 8-9-10 amps)...

I just might borrow a Variac from a friend just to allow me to run one of the heaters at 1500 and vary the amperage... find out what long term current trips the breaker and go 10% below that...

Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
One note if planning on purchasing any new electric heaters... look for more power settings than just 750 or 1500... Note that I am NOT talking about adjustable thermostat settings, but additional heat levels/amperage draws.

I have two heaters in my MH, both electric. One is a 700/1500 Delonghi oil filled tower, the other is a 750/1500 WalMart ceramic & fan unit.

The MH is a 30 amp unit and is parked next to a building... the main power cord from the MH plugs into a dogbone and then an 8-ga cord and then to a outdoor 15 amp circuit. One heater is plugged into an outlet in the RV bedroom, the other into an extension cord that goes out through the engine cover, over the ground, and is plugged into another outdoor 15 amp outlet.

The 15 amp limitation means that I have to run both heaters at the 750 watt level (6.25-7 amps) as each will blow the 15 amp breaker if run at the 1500 watt level (12-13 amps) for more than a few minutes... (I have no idea what else in the building is drawing power on the building circuit breakers).

I'd love to have a third heat level on each heater somewhere around 1000-1100-1200 watts (about 8-9-10 amps)...

I just might borrow a Variac from a friend just to allow me to run one of the heaters at 1500 and vary the amperage... find out what long term current trips the breaker and go 10% below that...

Mike
Mike, I have run into that issue as well plus I don't like to max out my inverter. The cheap heaters from box stores have three settings and don't blow my CB. They also have a quiet low volume fan which can't draw much. I have better quality heaters on board which are in my storage bay as the cheapo heaters perform better in my MH.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #31

May be a dumb question but ..... why do you need a space heater if you have access to electricity? Meaning if I'm plugged into 50 amps at my campground and I'm not using propane why would I use a heater and not the RVs to warm it up? I'm not being a jerk or anything and in fact want the answer as I'm going to a cold area in a couple of weeks. Thanks for any replies.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Just bought this one, very impressed with it. Sis in Law has 2 of them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp5 View Post
May be a dumb question but ..... why do you need a space heater if you have access to electricity? Meaning if I'm plugged into 50 amps at my campground and I'm not using propane why would I use a heater and not the RVs to warm it up? I'm not being a jerk or anything and in fact want the answer as I'm going to a cold area in a couple of weeks. Thanks for any replies.
My RV heater uses propane, even on electric.

Portable electric heaters save from running out and getting the propane tank filled.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
I’m looking for a small quartz heater with squirrel cage blower as they seem to be quieter than my ceramic, four blade fan heater. Any ideas?
you could use this one https://www.amazon.com/H-5000-Portab...051c31020da6f7
sity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #35

Quote:
For me the problem is the Heat pumps sound like a helicopter lifting and landing (when they start and stop). I literally can't sleep with them on and having a conversation is difficult. Also, assuming that the heat pumps have a limited lifespan you are not adding wear and tear on them if you use electric heat. So, we run the little electric heaters. Not a perfect solution for sure. If there is a young mechanical engineer reading, the RV industry is longing for a quieter Heat Pump/Air Conditioner overhead combo.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakan View Post
For me the problem is the Heat pumps sound like a helicopter lifting and landing (when they start and stop).

I literally can't sleep with them on and having a conversation is difficult.

Have you tried running the fan on High in the other end of the coach? Cuts down on the noise and has worked for me.

Also, assuming that the heat pumps have a limited lifespan you are not adding wear and tear on them if you use electric heat.

As do the A/C but actually they age faster (Dry out seals) if they are not run.

So, we run the little electric heaters.

Yup, those little $15.00 heater are Quiet and if you are on the Campsites meter they are almost Free. - - we keep three small ones in the Coach all the time.

Not a perfect solution for sure.

Maybe not perfect but sure close. -

If there is a young mechanical engineer reading, the RV industry is longing for a quieter Heat Pump/Air Conditioner overhead combo.

Not Young a certainly not an Engineer - BUT - Mini Splits will be the answer - once the Manufacturers decide to use them - https://www.sogoodtobuy.com/mini-split-heat-pumps/ - good to -22 -
JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sity View Post

Thanks. Looks good but no longer available. [emoji853]
I think DuraFlame has one also. Need to keep looking.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #38

Busskipper......Spot on -on the mini splits. Last week I was commenting to my friend who has one in his large office that it is whisper quiet and very cozy.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #39

Vornado is our primary electric heater. We also have a DeLonghi digital adjustable pivotal unit we carry as a spare, and or for times we feel we want more heat.

We added an outlet in our bedroom that is connected to an individual 15A CB we added, so very seldom have problem with tripping CB's (Usually when we forget to lower or turn off the Vornado heat setting, before the DW plugs in her curling iron!).

But we find we very seldom need more then the Vornado. I'm also up a few times a night for nature calls, and will monitor temps and turn up/down the Vorando based upon interior temps. We set our Vorando on the dining table, and point it across towards the kitchen. The fan does a good job circulating the air, and some of the heat works it way into the bedroom. (We do like temps from 55-60 for sleeping, so that also helps!). We do leave out HydroHot Electric element on, and leave both Zone 1 & 2 set to 50 degrees, hardly ever kicks on the heat registers, but we keep the water bay basement protected this way. Finally, we have electric floor heat, and find the heat sink of the tiles do a good job of keeping the coach relatively warm.

Above 40, we just use the Vornado, and I'll vary between kit and medium settings over the night time. If below 40, floor heat is turned on.

As is obviously known, the size of coach/trailer, number of slides, and quality of build/insulation are all factors as far as the variances between what one person might do, vs another!

We were at Cheyenne Mountain a few years ago, with Nordic Blast Dip thru the area. Outside mid teens with winds blowing, and a few inches of accumulated hail and snow. Floor heat on to 97 degrees (Yield ~75 degrees actual temp, as measured by infrared gun.), front of the coach Vornada on high, set on the front landing and pointing towards the rear, and rear DeLonghi set on low, pointing towards the front. Inside temps comfortable, too us, 65 degrees. We do use the Diesel Burner on the HydroHot and also turn on both zones, when power heating the coach when returning after a few hours away. (We do turn off both electric heaters, and set the floor radiant heat down to 80, when leaving. Also leave the HydroHot Electric Element on, with both zones set to 40 - just to be sure the wet bay is protected. Between firing back up the two electric portable 1500W heaters, and the HydroHot Diesel Burner feeding the Two Zones - we are back up to normal 65 or so temps within 20-30 Mins.

Stay warm, stay safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #40

Quote:
When it is really cold I will sometimes use my house furnace front and rear to heat things up quickly. I then run an oil heater in the rear and a quartz heater in front to keep things warm as needed. Even if I run the house electric furnace it will also use the propane furnace to help with fast heat. The electric heat exchange heater sounds just like running the A/C unit which makes it's fair share of noise and I would rather not listen to that thing running. Besides the noise, those do not work if temperatures are below a certain degree outside.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #41
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have a small one with thermostat we use in the plumbed areas of the basement. Variable heat settings at two levels and a fan only. Home Depot several years ago. Works fine. Would not try to heat the living area with one that small of course.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
We use two of those small ones, one in the bath(but must leave door open) as it gets too hot in there and one in the front of the living area. The one thing we do is turn them off when we are going to be gone from the coach for a while. I just don't trust those things as far as shorting out and causing a fire.

Tags
ace, heat, heater