Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Smell in MH

I have had my new allegro now for about a month. I'm smelling what smells like a chemical smell. I don't know if it's a glue or what it is. I have ran the AC and left all windows open and the smell leaves. After being closed up for a day, it's back. ?????. The smell is mainly in the bedroom. It actually burns my eyes. Any suggestions?
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #2

Brand new or new to you? Either way it can be off-gassing from the construction materials or something from the PO. Airing it out with fans should help then consider renting an Ozone machine for a few days.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
My guess is formaldehyde. You can buy a formaldehyde monitor.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #4

Brand new. I guess I'm a dummy. What is the PO?. Have had fans it it for days. After that the smell is gone. Close it up for two days and your eyes start burning again.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #5

Another guess of formaldehyde in the foam.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Brand new. I guess I'm a dummy. What is the PO?. Have had fans it it for days. After that the smell is gone. Close it up for two days and your eyes start burning again.

PO - previous owner.

Rent an ozone machine and don't over-do it. Remove pets and foodstuffs not in the refer or sealed in packages. Run a small fan in the bedroom, turn on the ozone machine and close the door. Run the machine for 15-30 minutes. Vent the coach before occupying. Repeat for the salon/galley area - use a fan, run the machine for 30 minutes. Vent again before occupying. Close it up for 24 hours and see how much or if it helped.

Don't overdo the ozone. It's a strong oxidizer and can fade upholstery, attack foam in cushions, and otherwise accelerate apparent aging of things.

If this helps only temporarily consider the formaldehyde monitor mentioned by DonovanP.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Do you happen to have a memory foam mattress? If so, I would suspect that’s where it’s coming from. They need to breathe for a significant amount of time to off gas the fumes in the foam. Remove all bedding and open windows. Blowing a fan across the surface will accelerate the process.
Cusn Edy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusn Edy View Post
Do you happen to have a memory foam mattress? If so, I would suspect that’s where it’s coming from. They need to breathe for a significant amount of time to off gas the fumes in the foam. Remove all bedding and open windows. Blowing a fan across the surface will accelerate the process.
Got rid of the memory foam the day I recieved my unit. Had a king size double pillow top mattress custom made for it. Just walked out of my unit, it's unbearable.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #9

Read this

https://www.deelat.com/blog/formalde...ehyde-monitor/

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:20 AM   #10

Yes, there are several formaldehyde tests/monitors available but not yet have I found how to zero in on the source nor how to eliminate it.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonsize View Post
Yes, there are several formaldehyde tests/monitors available but not yet have I found how to zero in on the source nor how to eliminate it.
I took ammonia in bowls and put them in the basement compartments and closed the unit up. I'm to wait 3 days and then open all windows. For a couple days. Then take the bowls out and the smell is suppose to be gone. I'll let ya know. From what i read ammonia is suppose to neutralize the formaldehyde
I guess we will see.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #12

Ozone generator is the best solution

Buy a small unit and run it while you are not home

It may take quite a few hours to neutralize the odor

After running the generator air out the coach using the fans for as long as it takes to not smell anything
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #13

You might want to set the bowls of ammonia in the sinks upstairs; not in the basement. Upstairs is where you have the smell.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #14

The smell is coming from the basement.

Tags
smell