Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Ioufu; this website reinforces what you just said about checking TDS. It is NOT a measure of water purity.
https://www.hydroviv.com/blogs/water...rs-and-testers
The word purity is misleading and is a salesman's word to sell water filters. The correct term is water "quality" which indicates what and how much is in the water. Distilled water has nothing in it and is "Pure water". "Bottled Drinking water" has all kinds of goofy stuff added depending on the source to condition the taste. Like all sales techniques most have a "brag" to sell how good it is. In reality folks are paying for distilled water with additives.

The good news about bottled water is in almost all cases the bacteria has been removed or killed in the water.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 02:51 PM   #30

You smell bleach, not flowers or fruit.
BudMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #31

Easy fix

Replace the hose and shock the tank with more than enough bleach. Leave the shock for a couple days then drain. Obviously you will run it through all hot and cold devices before and flush after.

It’s almost a guarantee to be your water hose.
ACEnergySave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Did not know that. I have a filter for my drinking water that filters out sodium so I should be good. But in my quick web searching, looks like softeners add about 8mg per quart. RDA is 2300mg per day and looks like most Americans daily intake is closer to 3400mg.
The amount of Sodium added is a direct ratio of the amount of Calcium and Magnesium that is exchanged for Sodium during the use cycle and if the softener was rinsed properly during the fast rinse cycle during regeneration

It requires two Sodium Ions for each Ca or Mg as They have a valence of two and Na has one

So very hard water is it an issue and is fairly soft water not so much
SmokyIak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEnergySave View Post
Replace the hose and shock the tank with more than enough bleach. Leave the shock for a couple days then drain. Obviously you will run it through all hot and cold devices before and flush after.

It’s almost a guarantee to be your water hose.
I see quite a few campers with regular garden hoses and they are very likely to impart smell and taste to the water tank as well as hydrocarbons
Old 08-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #34
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I just empty my tank each time I come home and refill it again before heading out. Never had a problem.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
I have used calcium hypochlorite in my fresh water tank for the last 6 years and have had no problems. 1 teaspoon in a full tank (85 gallons) drive to mix it up...run it through the lines, drain and flush...refill with plain water and you are good to go. If you are filling with non-chlorinated water, you can add 1/4 teaspoon of calcium hypochlorite when filling the tank.
rvrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
I don't use it to keep the water potable but I do use it to sanitize the tank and lines each spring.

Means"no perfumes".
Roadgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #37

Smelly fresh water ..again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odessa View Post
Has anyone used 'pool shock' ( calcium hypochlorite) in their fresh water tank to keep the water potable?

Oh no how would you know how much. Use bleach or chemical made to keep water tank fresh. Maybe you need to sanitize tank real good.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
If you use "unscented" bleach, how do you smell it ?
.....Really?
philstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #39

Finding the root cause for the smelly water is important

to simply freshen up a tank the best method is to add one ounce of 3% peroxide per 10 gallons

No side issues like the corrosion, deposition, and odor of to much bleach
Old 08-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #40

In response to the post about drinking softened water. The amount of sodium imparted by a properly working water softener is much less than the amount of sodium that a person ingests in foods each day. Salt alternatives are available for softeners.
The cumulative buildup of hard water deposits even from minimal hardness results on plumbing and water heating devices results in premature replacement or servicing.
I shouldn't complain though since it kept me employed repairing them.
king3859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced our tank, that put an end to it
FOLEYMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #42

Spartan Chassis
Smile Ionfu

FYI;
We have a TDS meter and RO system with 5 prefilters 10 x 2.5 in. 5 micron plus a carbon filter and uv light that fills the pressure tank for our drinking water and ice maker. We fill our fresh water tank with the plain RO water and use our water pump to supply motorhome water.
The prefilters are 5 micron and run 1.60 each when bought in cases of 40 off amazon. RO filter is 20.00 and does 150 gallons a day off pressure from most rv park systems. RO filter lasts a year.
In Parker Az. which has TDS around 1500 ppm we change a prefilter about once a week....most areas around Az in my experience are in the 300 to 500 tds range.
Installed system myself 160.00 off ebay brand new with pressure tank another 100.00 worth of brass fittings and valves from Ace hardware. I took out my power hose reel which we didn't need anyways and it all fits in my existing bay with no other modifications.
My costs are less than 50.00 every 6 months.
Poplar 111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, smell, water