RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #57

Do you leave your tank empty for long period of time between fill ups? If so, your tank could be growing stuff on the exposed surfaces.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #58

I thought it wasn't good to put bleach in your water heater because its made from salt and could rust out your steel water heater tank prematurely.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odessa View Post
Has anyone used 'pool shock' ( calcium hypochlorite) in their fresh water tank to keep the water potable?
I have always used 1/16 tsp Sodium Dichlor to 6 gal water in ours because I had it on hand when I needed to sanitize the first time. It is commonly used as hot tub or pool chlorinator. It is a powder so easier to store than a liquid. Very potent so doesn't take much to do the job ... and no salt residue or after-taste as with common bleach.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You shouldn't drink water that has gone through a water softener. That's why kitchen sinks aren't typically connected to the softener.

Have you considered taking a sample of your water to your local water facility for testing to see what's in it?
I am questioning your statement about not drinking water from a softener & not being hooked up to the kitchen faucet? I have had a professionally installed whole-house softener in our home for 20 years & softeners in our last two RV's w/o any issues or concerns. What exactly is your source for your statement other than perhaps your opinion?
Thanks!
Bart from VA
Mantracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
I thought it wasn't good to put bleach in your water heater because its made from salt and could rust out your steel water heater tank prematurely.
As a certified water tank inspector, bleach is a common disinfectant for community/public water tanks for all types of concrete & steel materials. It is so diluted & doesn't stay in a tank long enough to do any damage.
I would advise to NEVER, EVER use pool or spa type chemicals in your potable water because they are NOT formulated for human consumption & can cause a person to get sick, diarrhea, etc. So will bleach if you use too much or not rinse. Bleach smell will age out over a short period of time while pool/spa chemicals don't react in the same manner.
Bart from VA
Old 08-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I have always used 1/16 tsp Sodium Dichlor to 6 gal water in ours because I had it on hand when I needed to sanitize the first time. It is commonly used as hot tub or pool chlorinator. It is a powder so easier to store than a liquid. Very potent so doesn't take much to do the job ... and no salt residue or after-taste as with common bleach.
As a certified water tank inspector, bleach is a common disinfectant for community/public water tanks for all types of concrete & steel materials. It is so diluted & doesn't stay in a tank long enough to do any damage.
I would advise to NEVER, EVER use pool or spa type chemicals in your potable water because they are NOT formulated for human consumption & can cause a person to get sick, diarrhea, etc. So will bleach if you use too much or not rinse. Bleach smell will age out over a short period of time while pool/spa chemicals don't react in the same manner.
Bart from VA
PS - lots of chemicals could be used in water to disinfect, but just because they are convenient & close at hand is a very risky use of such chemicals in drinking water!
Old 08-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
Not a problem to use diluted bleach in your Hot Water tank. Diluted bleach water will not hurt it.
I found the problem I had with the rotten egg smell in our hot water heater was ultimately caused by adding an anode rod to our tank. It was not a compatible material with my tank & as it corroded it put off an offensive smell. I removed the anode, flushed the tank several times & no issue since even w/o using bleach as a disinfectant.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Just fill with "City" chlorinated water every once in a while (I have a well) to chlorinate the system.
Doubt that there is enough residual chlorine in city water to do any type of sanitizing.

If that were the case, no one would be mixing bleach water to use as a sanitizing spray.

Stick with the tried and true if you want to sanitize your system. Unscented liquid bleach mixed at at recommended ration.

But, before sanitizing is done it's best to know if that is the problem. Stinky water doesn't always stem from a lack of sanitizing.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It depends on several factors... how hard your water is that's being treated, if it's a salt-based water system and how many glasses of water you drink and if you have medical issues. Elevated sodium in your diet can occur. It doesn't affect everyone but it can affect some. Even a tiny bit of elevated sodium in a person's diet with medical issues isn't good.
A salt based system is used only for back-flushing your water softener filter. The salt water slurry is designed to back-flush the filter system to your sewer or septic w/o going into your fresh water system, if set up properly, to not leave any measurable amount of salt in your system to be consumed. Yes, there are exceptions for everyone medically, but not normally considered a salt related health issue according to our doctors. A water softener has a much, much lower source for salt than almost all pre-prepared food/drink products.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #66

Not sure I would use pool shock unless I had no choice. But I keep my fresh tank sanitized with household bleach every 2 months. I pump in a gallon of water with 6oz of bleach mixture, take it for a hell ride, making sure tank is 3/4 full, run all fixtures until I smell bleach, then let sit for 24hrs, then drain, rinse 2-3 times till thereís no more bleach smell coming out of the fixtures. And I Also drain the hot water tank immediately after parking it if I know it will sit for more than 2 weeks. I run bleach through my hot water tank because itís plastic, I heard somewhere never put bleach in the metal tanks, it Corrodes them.

And I rinse my black tank 3-4 times after 4 days and a good ďDumpĒ, (yea, pun intended)!, and I use that lemon hockey puck crystal deodorizer In all my drains to the grey tank after Iím done camping!

As anal as I am with all my tanks, we never drink the tank water. Itís usually full from water from South Florida and smells disgusting and taste disgusting anyway! But itís good to know an emergency I have clean water.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyIak View Post
The amount of Sodium added is a direct ratio of the amount of Calcium and Magnesium that is exchanged for Sodium during the use cycle and if the softener was rinsed properly during the fast rinse cycle during regeneration

It requires two Sodium Ions for each Ca or Mg as They have a valence of two and Na has one

So very hard water is it an issue and is fairly soft water not so much
There is an amount of sodium in all ground water, the harder the water the more sodium it contains.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:51 PM   #68

Use starsan its used in brewing to sanitize
Headshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:38 PM   #69

I have owned a pool for 22 years and I whitewater raft so I treat quite a bit of water each year that has to be potable. Pool shock will sanitize the water but the risk is too much chlorine and you will have intestinal problems. Bad ones. On the river when we have to filter and treat the water to drinkable standards we generally add 2 drops of Clorox unscented per gallon of water after filtering through a .5 micron silver impregnated ceramic filter. Some people have complained about the chlorine taste even with our low dosage. The best way to get rid of chlorine in the water after the appropriate contact time is hydrogen peroxide administered in the same amount as the chlorine, in this case 2 drops per gallon. I see people recommend vinegar and other chemicals. I will stay with the science and use chlorine.
When I sanitize my fresh water tank at the beginning of each season I add 1/2 to 1 cup of chlorine to 40 gallons of water. I will circulate that water through the system with the pump until I smell bleach from each faucet. The important part of this process is contact time. It is imperative that the water sits in the tank and lines for at least 2 hours to ensure that everything is killed. After the time has expired I will drain the fresh water tank and refill several times to flush the system. During one of the flushes I will add ~2 oz. of hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then at least one more flush of the system. Never had an issue with odors or taste in 6 years of travels. As an aside, I never put the trailer in storage with water in the tank or water heater for obvious reasons. I will preload the lines with a very weak chlorine solution for storage between trips. Fortunately, living in the desert, I never have to winterize my trailer but I do have to be concerned with possible growth of unsavory things in my water lines and water heater.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:22 AM   #70

I thought you had to bypass the hot water heater. My owners manual says the bleach is harmful to it.
mamcginn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, smell, water