Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Part of the problem probably lies with your own "air-intake" system.

If you rely as so many do on mechanical air circulation systems like fans and air conditioners, you're bound to be subjected to smells from your immediate vicinity.
They all create a sort of "air vortex vacuum cleaner system", drawing from the immediate vicinity around your rig. Odors/vapors that would otherwise be dissipated overhead are instead drawn directly into your living area as part of the "fresh air" they purport to deliver.

Do yourself a favor, and leave the "sucking in" systems off. Your neighbors' smells will then rise and dissipate without entering your living space.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ease up a little. Although I am a non, no make that anti, smoker, I tried to word my post in such a manner that I was simply asking for suggestions. If some of you took it otherwise, somebody ought to grow a thicker skin. I thank those of you that had constructive suggestions, the most common of which was to move to a different site or campground. We have coming to this particular campground for 4 years, twice a year, for the month of November and for parts of March and April because it fits our needs perfectly in a location where we exactly want to be. To get a a site in the portion of this FL CG that we wish to locate, we have to make reservations a year in advance, so just swapping sites at the last minute is just not an option.

I certainly don't expect my neighbors to move on my account, nor do I expect them to give up smoking. I am not sure what I expected as an answer, but I certainly didn't expect the hostility, particularly from so many who claim to be non-smokers.

Some smokers think they have the absolute right to stink up someone else's world, and they don't give a rip. I disagree but I know I will not win that argument. At least not in today's world, but that seems to be changing. Others try to be more considerate or understanding of others that don't share their addiction to nicotine.

As stated I have worked with the CG manager to try to locate us away from that group of fishermen in November, at this point that seems the best I can do. It that doesn't happen we can live with it.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
CJ7ole -- This has been a fun thread, and sometimes we just need to grab onto one and let it rip. I think we're just having fun!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
If someone is smoking or has a smokey fire that affects us, I eat some beans and chocolate and than go fart in their in their site.
I read this post just to see where it would go. Then I read yours Don, almost fell off my chair. Like the answers given, RVers are a great group and for the most part very forgiven. My comment is, just enjoy yourself, life is short, or stay home.
US Navy Vet.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:07 AM   #33

CJ7ole, hang in there, help may be on the way. We were at a cg in Tampa last month that had a non smoking section. My guess is they had enough regular customers to make the change.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Maybe a fan blowing out the area, were the smoke is entering ?? Would switching lots with them get the smoking futher away??

Equinox Toad
Old 07-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The world does not revolve around you. Every one has likes and dislikes and we can't accomodate every one so get over it and learn to look for the things you enjoy not something to complain about. You will live a longer happier life. (PS) I am a none smoker but I beleive in indviduals rights within the laws.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #36

Wow. Complain to them or camp management? Move to another site or campground? Post to an online forum? Why not try addressing and solving the problem instead of complaining about it. I am a non-smoker, and have been my whole life. Someone else has just as much right to smoke as I do to clean air. I have dealt with this type of situation before. In most places, the wind will not always blow the same direction each day, every day. If so, ask them to switch spots with you. Does the campground provide a picnic table for each site? I have invited a group of smokers over to mine when the breeze blew their smoke my way. Gave them each and adult beverage and introduced myself. Then explained my desire that their enjoyment not make it's way into my rig, and asked for their help. Offered that they hang out under my awning if it would help them keep the smoke out of our rig. They were VERY mindful, thoughtful, and considerate once they were aware of the problem. Try talking to your neighbor first, sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #37

Campground camping is not for you. Lots of smoke smells around those places.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have enought curbs on our freedoms already so imposing more is against my way of thinking. The best thing is to just relocate. Though smoking is disgusting to some it is a right to others. Don't impose your standards on others.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #39

It is not a perfect world and these situations will always crop up at campgrounds. Requesting to move is the only solution and hope your move dosen't present you with another irritating condition.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
...somebody ought to grow a thicker skin.
Umm, you are correct.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #41

I hate smoke too, but, they have broken no rules. Move or close the windows, I guess.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WOW

In 40+ years of RV'ing we've been compelled to move or 4 times. That's a pretty good track record.

The 'smoky fire' thing was not enough to make us move. Other than that little 'quirk' our neighbors were great folks and we enjoyed meeting them. I don't think any of you would have tolerated the obscenity, screaming and trash from the other group. I believe we handled both situations appropriatly.

The OP posed a conundrum. Can't tolerate smoke, can't move, and can't re-schedule. Sounds like they weren't expecting a solution, just venting.

(Sarcasm Alert) A thread like this really brings out the best of this group. Some helpful suggestions but so many spiteful ones too.

I've gotten some great technical advice from this forum, but I think I'm going to avoid the social, political, and monetary posts in the future. And dogs too! Those tend to generate a fair amount of acrimony as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground