Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #1

Smoldering fire pits

Has anyone found a nice way to ask your RV neighbor to do something about their fire pit that is smoking you out?

I hate raining on anyone's good time but DW has asthma and some people don't seem to understand a hot fire produces a lot less smoke than a barely going smoker.

I just dread pulling into a CG and the first thing you smell is smoke. Propane pits are so much nicer.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #2

Try asking the campground manager about moving - and explain why.
Wrascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:20 PM   #3

Honestly I would start picking my sites in the areas that are away from most of the other campers. In the back or at the very front and away from the most congested areas. Keeping a hot fire requires keeping it stoked, and at some point most people want it to die down so they can go to bed.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #4

I agree. If you have green wood; don't burn it. If you leave your site for even a short time for a walk around the campground; put it out. The same goes for at night and when you leave for good.

We and the rest of a campground were evaculated from a campground in New Mexico one year because a careless camper left while his firepit was still smoldering. I happened to walk by it just when a spark flew and erupted a pile of pine cones. The host was closer than the water spigot so I ran there to tell him. By the time he got there... no more than 5 min. the pine needles were blazing up the hill behind the campsites. The fire was reported and the campground evacuated. We followed it on the news and that fire burned thousands of acres and the campground was closed for the rest of the summer.

As campground hosts we regularly found fires still smoldering or flaring up when campers left on Sunday morning and even when they left for a day excursion.

When you leave if you can't put your hand into the embers the fire is not out. Pour a bucket of water on it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #5

We have, a few times in 40+ years, put out unattended fires. The returning campers (an hour or two later) always seem surprised the the fire pit is soaking wet...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Campfires are a part of camping. However you can ask to move your site. I know we love campfires but will not burn one if the wind blows any smoke directly into a neighbor's site. Also totally out when we retire so no over night smoldering.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #7

You could call the office and have them tell the offenders to either stoke the fire so it doesn't smolder or put it out.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #8

Most campground I camp out on a regular bases if I came in and most of the sited didn't have a fire going and some smoking I would think something was wrong. I'm not one to just let one smoke don't like that myself. Propane pits are not campfires and when I have to start using one of those I'll not have a campfire. I don't mean to come off wrong but camping and wood campfire is hand in hand. I know people have medical problem from wood smoke and smoke from other thing also (grill and such)but should 40 other campsite not enjoy a campfire because of one. Just walk over and ask me I have no problem with that. First thing I would do if possible is move my pit to a different area on my site so it didn't bother or if need be put it out. I never use the pits at the campsite I have a portable pit that I use so it can be moved if need be.
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there is any really good way to handle this except to move yourself to another site. If you politely request the other folks to reduce the problem, many will say "of course" but some are going to take it badly (even if they comply). If you come on strong and make it a complaint rather than a request for an accommodation, I can pretty well assure argument and maybe even retribution.

Having worked in campground for several years, I can tell you that management is probably not going to jump in unless the situation is flagrant. You chose a campground that permits fires (some do not), so exposure to smoke goes with the territory.

So the bottom line is either request a different site or make a [very] courteous request yourself.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #10

Everybody needs a campfire....especially when its 80* out......
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Yup, it happened to me

AH yes, the smoldering fire issue in a tight packed campground.....

I think that if you camp long enough, its bound to happen. A few months ago this happened to us while camping in Hot Springs Arkansas. I politely walked over to the neighboring campsite where the offender was camped and introduced myself. After a brief "how's the weather" chitchat, I asked If I could help the camper stoke up their fire to help eliminate the smoke blowing directly into our RV. The offenders were young and very new to camping. In the end, after they enjoyed the fire for another hour or so, they put the fire out and that was the end of the issue. Thankfully they were understanding and I was non confrontational. I realize that this could have gone south and become a issue, but in this situation, the camper just wasn't aware that the smoke was causing an issue.

I have been using a BREEO fire pit for a while now. It has really helped to eliminate the smoke issue.

Yes, its a bit pricy
AND NO, its not a washing machine tub. (eluding to another post......)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breeo grill.PNG
Views:	14
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	318679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breeo night.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	318680  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Breeo Cher.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	318681  
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
We have, a few times in 40+ years, put out unattended fires. The returning campers (an hour or two later) always seem surprised the the fire pit is soaking wet...
Quite a few of the forest fires which ravaged Colorado this past summer, actually every summer, were determined to be caused by campers. A number of years ago a woman went to jail and was ordered to pay thousands of dollars in restitution for burning a Dear Jane letter in a smoldering fire pit. Soon after she left a strong wind, not at all uncommon in the mountains, came up and scattered embers starting a costly forest fire which burned down some cabins and houses.
Put the danged fire out COLD!!! Even if it is/was somebody else's!
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't think there is any really good way to handle this except to move yourself to another site. If you politely request the other folks to reduce the problem, many will say "of course" but some are going to take it badly (even if they comply). If you come on strong and make it a complaint rather than a request for an accommodation, I can pretty well assure argument and maybe even retribution.

Having worked in campground for several years, I can tell you that management is probably not going to jump in unless the situation is flagrant. You chose a campground that permits fires (some do not), so exposure to smoke goes with the territory.

So the bottom line is either request a different site or make a [very] courteous request yourself.
Totally agree! Some folks just love their campfires!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingbiker View Post
I have been using a BREEO fire pit for a while now. It has really helped to eliminate the smoke issue.

Yes, its a bit pricy
AND NO, its not a washing machine tub. (eluding to another post......)
Very few will carry around that large fire pit. Also, in public campgrounds you can't build your fire just anywhere. They don't want the ground any more scarred than it already is.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire