Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post

Driver was from Dearborn, Michigan, not Florida. Florida does have mature driver requirements for operators over 80. A very rare accident so everyone should get a CDL to drive an RV????. NO State requires a CDL to operate a motorhome.
Canada apparently does not require a CDL either ...waaaaa
YES and NO (sorta)

Class 3 CDL (no differentiation between commercial and non com use). required for a 5th wheel or TT with a towed weight > 10,000 lbs .... and NO as far as I can tell no special req for MONSTER CLASS A ..... waaaaaaa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-02-08 15.09.46.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	191608  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #44
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpresto View Post
I know of no state that requires a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) to operate a RV. That requires a physical, logbook of hours, etc. Many states do require a Non Commercial drivers license for RVs over 26,000 Lbs. In my state, Maryland, it requires a written test and a drivers test and is called a Class B. Everyone tosses out the term CDL but it just is not required. However, if you have a CDL in Maryland, the Class B is not required.
Quote:

Driver was from Dearborn, Michigan, not Florida. Florida does have mature driver requirements for operators over 80. A very rare accident so everyone should get a CDL to drive an RV????. NO State requires a CDL to operate a motorhome.
What about DC, HI, IN, and WI - some depend on the length of the MH. but it is still a MH and requires CDL.

DL by State
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterDoc View Post
My 94 year old father, who passed last year raised our concerns to a level of intervention just months before he passed. There has to be responsibility taken by family and those close. I am quite sure there had been other incidents involving this 98 year old that should have required action on someone's part. Anyone that did not shares some of the guilt in the deaths of these two young girls (at least morally).
i've been in a similar father / son situation and it's not fun but it's gotta be done.

i agree completely with your closing comment and believe the details will come out via the legal process.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #46

What are the laws in your state?

I would like to know the procedure by state to have someone's license revoked? Do I have to be a relative? If I just see someone (young or old) being dangerous, can I just report it?

Driving or just being on the road is a risk that most people just don't take seriously anymore.

Self-driving cars and MHs will be here soon. (Maybe 5 years out, then 20 years out to be main stream.)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #47

There is really not a lot of details out there as far as I know. Did he even have a valid DL. Any alcohol involved? Since this is a homicide investigation, it will probably be some time before all details will be released. I am sure it must be hard to give up your freedom of mobility and your way of life. I can only hope that when the time comes for me, I make the right decision.
I do know that I will not get into a vehicle with a drunk driver and I have not yet met a 98 year old driver that I will ride with either.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #48

I know in Georgia, a law enforcement officer can write a letter with the person's information and the officer's concerns. The DMV will request that person come in and put them through a driving, written and eye exam. If they fail to come in, the DMV will suspend their driver's license. DMV can also add restrictions to the license like daylight driving only. I don't know if a family member can do this or not.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
You can talk to his doctor and if the doctor is on board he can send a request in to DMV.
I was faced with that with my Dad but he had a stroke before it was done.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
I know in Georgia, a law enforcement officer can write a letter with the person's information and the officer's concerns. The DMV will request that person come in and put them through a driving, written and eye exam. If they fail to come in, the DMV will suspend their driver's license. DMV can also add restrictions to the license like daylight driving only. I don't know if a family member can do this or not.
a pdf for Florida. forms can be found under driver license -medical
I don't think simply saying that one's age is the reason would be enough.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:21 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
FL State Driver's license manual states that a Class E license is valid up to 26,000 lb GVWR.
However, Florida statute 322.53(2)(d) exempts all RV's from CDL requirement, regardless of weight.

Traumatic events like this are what often make authorities demand review of existing law.
Not saying it will, but that seems to be the way things work sometimes.

My sympathies go out to all on both sides...
These things happen too often.
Automobile collisions are the #1 killer of American Youth.
And I am sure the RV driver never meant to do this.

Ditto on the sympathies for both sides. Anyway you look at it, only losers here.

I am days away from 71, great health for my age but (and we all know that butts stink), I have glaucoma, have had cataract surgery and lenses implanted and just don't see well at night. The last time I drove at night (reluctantly) was when my wife broke her arm that day and we had to get home. I stayed puckered for 200 plus miles. Our general rule is no driving at night.

Now I know that all of you supermen and women can "dooos it all" but the community needs to take a serious look at driving after dark. Slow reaction time should be enough to keep most of us aging plus boomers off the road after dark. 3,000-6,000 pound vehicles just don't stand a chance against 18,000-50,000 pound tanks.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:46 AM   #52

Kind of ironic during all this that Heineken airs a "don't drink and drive" ad featuring 79 year old Jackie Stewart who declares "I'm still driving" as he speeds off in a sports car!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:04 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Canada requires a D license with the Z certificate for air brakes. There is a course available at some colleges for both and it averages around
$ 1200. I can't imagine operating the moho without that training. It requires a fairly extensive health exam by a Dr. and the results become part of your application. The exam costs about $150 but is paid by Medicare. The license costs about $125. You must return after 2 years to retake the written part, and again every 5 years to pass the whole thing, written, driving and health. When I ask a person who has not taken the course if they have checked to see if there is any water accumulating in their brake air reservoirs and I get that blank stare...

Sent from my STH100-1 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 02-09-2018, 06:15 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterDoc View Post
That has become the popular fall back that "there has to be a tech solution"!
There are a few common causes for "wrong way collisions". We all know the usual cause, "drivers under the influence". Insufficient traffic controls or improper design is rare.
The number of accidents in FL caused by elderly drivers is directly related to the demographics. My 94 year old father, who passed last year raised our concerns to a level of intervention just months before he passed. There has to be responsibility taken by family and those close. I am quite sure there had been other incidents involving this 98 year old that should have required action on someone's part. Anyone that did not shares some of the guilt in the deaths of these two young girls (at least morally).
No... you don't even know if he had a family, let alone if there were "other incidents" that's just pure speculation...you cant push the blame to anyone other than the person driving that rig...his decision , be it getting behind the wheel, making the wrong turn or whatever else was going through the 98 year old brain is what killed two young girls....

I live here in south Florida, I have to deal with this demographic of drivers on a daily basis regardless of the type of vehicle they may drive..a lot of them should never be behind the wheel... they need to take responsibility for there own actions, know their limitations, get help when they need it...
Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #55

The news report:

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A 99-year-old man killed two teenagers in a head-on crash by driving his RV at night without headlights on the wrong side of a Florida highway, investigators say — and records show he recently passed a re-examination in his home state of Michigan that allowed him to keep his driver’s license.
Michigan driving records obtained Thursday by the Associated Press show that someone reported Walter Roney to state motor vehicle officials in September, recommending the Dearborn resident be re-examined to determine whether he was still competent even though he had no recent accidents or tickets.
He passed that test Jan. 8, 29 days before Tuesday night’s crash in Fort Pierce that killed Santia Feketa, 18, and Britney Poindexter, 17. The best friends were on their way to a skating rink.
Fred Woodhams, a spokesman for the Michigan secretary of state’s office, which oversees driver’s licenses, would not say who flagged Roney’s ability to drive. He said the re-examination determined Roney had an acceptable medical condition.
“He was able to demonstrate to the department at the re-examination that whatever the question was, he had addressed it,” Woodhams said.
According to Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Alvaro Feola, Roney and his girlfriend, Carolyn Elizabeth-Evans Bruns, 75, of Brighton, Michigan, were driving their RV from Melbourne, Fla., to Port Charlotte on Tuesday. Feola said Roney wound up headed west in the eastbound lanes of Florida 70, striking Feketa and Poindexter in Feketa’s 2013 Chevrolet Silverado. Both teens were killed. Roney and Bruns are hospitalized.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:01 AM   #56

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
When I was young and in school my Grandfather was a bad driver and refused it stop driving. One day at school he walked into my classroom handed me the keys and said take me home. Never found out what happened but he never drove again or wanted to.
Closed Thread