Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sorry to see that and glad no one was hurt.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #16

So glad to hear that no one was hurt. As someone said the MH can be replaced. You will certainlay have one heck of a campfire strory to tell.
God Bless.

I had the sticking brake issue on my other C. Because it sat for a long time, only took it once in a while, because the wife was an invalid. We could not go. She went to her erernal life, and my sister stepped in to be the driver. I have bad vision. We got about 2 miles from the house and she saw smoke from the left rear dually. Call the fire department, no fire, just hot. Called my friend a mechanic who drove it home because my sister was to upset. Tiem he got to my place the right side was on fire, he put the fire out. Called his brother and had him come over to help him rebuild the rear brakes. So we could attend the MO State GS rally. And we made it about 10 hours late. With no damage.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #17

What a tragedy for you and your family. Be thankful you were not on a trip.

If your family likes RVing, especially your handicapped child, I hope this doesn't prohibit you from getting another. As stated, this isn't a motorhome issue. We've seen it happen on trailers, also. However, keep in mind that this rarely happens at all when you think of all the RVs out there.

I hope you will still enjoy RVing! Best of luck getting everything settled with the insurance and hopefully, with a new RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #18

Thank you all so much. I do think we learned so much from this experience.

We are now just so unsure of what to do about replacement. We are definitely not going to stop RVing, but we aren't sure if we will get a MH right now or maybe just get a 5th wheel or trailer. The problem is, it took us FOREVER to buy the MH. We don't have a ton of $$, we refuse to finance....so we are faced with looking for a good used one. And then we start ALLLL over with looking for all those little bugs that eventually creep up.

Right now our gut is saying 5th or trailer. My FIL has a F250 diesel that he wants to sell that they used to use for towing a 5th. So financially, we can get a really nice tow behind and buy his truck for what we will probably get from insurance.

In the future, I can see us going back to a MH sometime, maybe even next year. I just feel overwhelmed thinking of starting that shopping process again after we just did it almost exactly a year ago. But we really do need something soon as we have a big trip planned this summer and we hoped for a lot of little trips with the kids as well. And, considering our eldest is 15, we have SO few years left.

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I totally agree to make the time count while your kids are still around home. That time will not come back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I am so sorry, were you using a TPMS?
TST System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by irene67 View Post
Thank you all so much. I do think we learned so much from this experience.

We are now just so unsure of what to do about replacement. We are definitely not going to stop RVing, but we aren't sure if we will get a MH right now or maybe just get a 5th wheel or trailer. The problem is, it took us FOREVER to buy the MH. We don't have a ton of $$, we refuse to finance....so we are faced with looking for a good used one. And then we start ALLLL over with looking for all those little bugs that eventually creep up.

Right now our gut is saying 5th or trailer. My FIL has a F250 diesel that he wants to sell that they used to use for towing a 5th. So financially, we can get a really nice tow behind and buy his truck for what we will probably get from insurance.

In the future, I can see us going back to a MH sometime, maybe even next year. I just feel overwhelmed thinking of starting that shopping process again after we just did it almost exactly a year ago. But we really do need something soon as we have a big trip planned this summer and we hoped for a lot of little trips with the kids as well. And, considering our eldest is 15, we have SO few years left.
In 2001, a tornado came through and laid a tree on top of our first class A. Our pride and joy was totaled making it a sad day indeed. Like you, we weren't exactly sure what we wanted to do at first. To our surprise, our insurance company offered us a really nice settlement and that was all it took for us to figure out our next move. Ordered the new rig shortly after receiving the check and used it to pay more than half the total sales price of the new Sunova. Financed 5 years and paid the thing off in about 4.

In other words, wait to see what your insurance company says before dwelling too much on what to do right this minute. Try not to settle on something you're not sure about,, get what you want. Be positive and remember that things will work out!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #22

If you're planning to use the 250 truck be sure you match the weights for the truck and RV carefully so you're not overloaded. Even if you have to go smaller perhaps carrying a tent with you for the kids to sleep or one of the parents with the kids. That way you won't be pressed to get a bigger truck or trailer at this time. It'll work out... things usually do. Best of luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #23

For the sticking/dragging brake thing,,, I pull double trailers over 100,000 miles a year... Anything can happen,,,, like a dragging brake... I try to remind myself to get going just a bit,,, apply brakes, (not to a stop) and make sure they release and the vehicle coasts.... I've run into that many times in the last 37 years,,, a dragging brake... This would apply to MH or trailers.... Again like others,,, VERY Glad no one was hurt !!!!!!
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #24

Fire extenguishers are nice as a fire is starting but, they are not going to do much on a fire that is established. Look at the fire truck. Dumping loads of water on it and still not much happening.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire