Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

So where do you camp ??

Is most of your camping in the national/state parks or in the private campgrounds like KOA and such or boondocking ? I ask this because most of the national or state parks we have been to , rig size comes into play and many are not set up for the larger rigs. Yet in going down the highway we seldom see a rig smaller than ours (276 rls - cougar ) so we started wondering where all of you are staying? We really enjoy the national parks but have not stayed in many of either NP's or private as we are just getting started on this little adventure.
jim81147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

With a 30 Ft MH and towed we have choices.

Parks with electric are usually cheapest and fine places to set up. High end parks unless we can cover with a Passport America discount are last place.

It really depends in part where we are going and what phase of the trip we are in. First and last nights are often the cheapest place to crash for a nights sleep as we are on the way to somewhere. Walmarts are great for that. Second or third night we want a dump station and are probably where we want to park for a day or two to look around and regroup.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
We've not had any problems finding state parks for our 38' 5er & full size PU. Also use military (I'm retired USAF) & commercial (but VERY seldom KOA) without any issues. Ditto Passport America. Have overnighted at truck plazas & such, but those are usually a last resort due to the noise.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
KOA is especially not my favorite and as a matter of fact after the last one I just as soon camp in my driveway. All concrete and no trees, at least I have trees. My preference is trees and no concrete because it reminds me of the great outdoors. I've been to state parks that are great and I've been to some we spent the night and left the next morning. We have some that we go to a lot so just get out there and let everyone know where you are going and we will be glad to send you in the right direction. I am retired and disabled also I live in Houston area and my wife still works so we know the area. I usually go first and she comes later in the towed and we travel back together .
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We boondock the majority of the time, whether that be a NP, truck stop, Walmart, etc. and only go into a campground to dump and flush tanks and take on water. Our MH is 32 foot and we have not had problems with any NPs we have been into.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #6

OP: You didn't say where you camp but we are mainly west of the Mississippi and with our 40' motorhome, public parks are always our first choice - national parks, state parks, national forests, COE, county and city parks. We also love boondocking on federal lands. We have never had a problem finding sites.

We have been in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Rocky Mountain, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and many other national parks and we fit just fine.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We never boondock, and very seldom stay at truck stops or Walmart. When we stop in the afternoon, we want to set up and relax for the evening, not listen to generators and general noise. We do stay at KOA's. Most are nice and alot of them do have trees. Depends on where you are. We also do the passport parks when traveling.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The DW and I have owned a few lots at Outdoor Resorts on Golf courses etc. Sold them all (monthly homeowners fees exceeded $400.00), and now we pay $499.00 a year and camp in the woods with Thousand Trails. WE have a lifetime Passport America we use when TT resorts are not near by. Our winter hangout is Catalina Spa where we are a member for over 30 years located in Desert HOT Springs, Calif. January you will find us in Quartzsite, Az. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #9

So where do you camp ??

We try to use State Parks and COE parks for most of our adventures. Most State Parks we use allow for 14 day stays then we move on to the next.
We try to use PPA parks when doing long road trips.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
Is most of your camping in the national/state parks or in the private campgrounds like KOA and such or boondocking ? I ask this because most of the national or state parks we have been to , rig size comes into play and many are not set up for the larger rigs. Yet in going down the highway we seldom see a rig smaller than ours (276 rls - cougar ) so we started wondering where all of you are staying? We really enjoy the national parks but have not stayed in many of either NP's or private as we are just getting started on this little adventure.
We do the whole spectrum: boondock, tailgate, NP's, COE and state and county parks, private parks from KOA to luxury resorts, driveways, WalMart's. Our size of MH is such that we can be very flexible in where we can fit into. It just depends on what the purpose of the trip is and where we are at and what we want to do.

I haven't sat down and made a tally, but if I were to guess I'd say 60% private, 35% public and 5% other.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
OP: You didn't say where you camp but we are mainly west of the Mississippi and with our 40' motorhome, public parks are always our first choice - national parks, state parks, national forests, COE, county and city parks. We also love boondocking on federal lands. We have never had a problem finding sites.

We have been in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Rocky Mountain, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and many other national parks and we fit just fine.
We have taken only one real trip since we have had the 5er and that was to Yellowstone for 5 days with an overnight at grand tetons on the way there . At those places we stayed in park campgrounds ( Madison in Yellowstone if memory is correct )and they were a bit tight ( which admittedly may have something to do with my driving skills ) then on the way back home we stayed at a commercial campground at Mesa Verde . That campground had plenty of room .We have places to visit all over the country on our list , but I would say most are west of the miss. although once we get to the other side we may change our mind . We live in Pagosa Springs Co and like the scenery around home a lot so we tend to move towards the pine forests and mountains . The forest service campgrounds around here for the most part , are not big enough for our rig , so I was curious if it was that way across the US .
jim81147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use the Allstays App on our iPad. It lists most of the camping areas you are in and gives you a review. We have stayed in city parks, state parks, national parks and commercial campgrounds. We usually stop early enough so we can set up and walk the dog in the daylight.

Allstays Camp and RV | RV Parks Campgrounds

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
We have taken only one real trip since we have had the 5er and that was to Yellowstone for 5 days with an overnight at grand tetons on the way there . At those places we stayed in park campgrounds ( Madison in Yellowstone if memory is correct )and they were a bit tight ( which admittedly may have something to do with my driving skills ) then on the way back home we stayed at a commercial campground at Mesa Verde . That campground had plenty of room .We have places to visit all over the country on our list , but I would say most are west of the miss. although once we get to the other side we may change our mind . We live in Pagosa Springs Co and like the scenery around home a lot so we tend to move towards the pine forests and mountains . The forest service campgrounds around here for the most part , are not big enough for our rig , so I was curious if it was that way across the US .
Jim...you'll get the hang of driving that RV!
With our 40' motorhome in Yellowstone we've stayed in Madison, Bridge Bay and Mammoth campgrounds.
Mesa Verde - we stayed in the park itself
This summer we've also stayed near you at Haviland Lake national forest campground north of Durango, boondocked in Silverton at Mineral Creek, McPhee Reservoir national forest c.g. at Cortez, West Fork national forest campground in Pagosa Springs - in your back yard, and Cottonwood State Park, Navajo Lake near you, also. All of the above are return visits. We love them!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #14

For us it is 100% private campgrounds with full hookup. No water, electric and sewer we do not book. If it has cable, even better. Some KOA's but KOA's are such a small percent of private campgrounds. Campground usually has a pool, near or on a river, lake or ocean. Has some activities, maybe a band or DJ or something Sat night. Most of our camping is 1 to 2.5 hours from home for the weekend, leave Friday afternoon/evening and return Sunday or Monday. Get there, set up, have fun, go home. Federal campgrounds around us are no hook up and pit toilets. 99% of the state campgrounds are no hook up and ok bath houses but without hook ups including sewer it is a no. Cost is anywhere from $30-70 a night.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote