Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #1

soft start A/C capacitor

I searched , and found nothing that was current.

you tube video's say good and bad, about supco spp5, or spp6.
some say not worth it, others say well worth it.

so I'll ask here, ....
I have a coleman 15000 with heat pump.
and listening to it, when it comes on sounds like a strain.
I do not plan to run it on my 2200 genset, so thats not an issue,
just longevity, ( my house unit has a soft start added on)

so my question is, supco? or another brand, or not needed,

thx for the help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 12:38 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Search "Micro-Air Easystarts" here. Based on what I've read here, I'm planning on adding in the spring.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:17 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Micro-Air Easy Start is a definite item on my wish list.
I just wish AC manufacturers would add these automatically at time of manufacture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Search "Micro-Air Easystarts" here. Based on what I've read here, I'm planning on adding in the spring.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I tried a Suppco SPP6 and it now resides on the workbench, it didn't make any noticeable difference or change the startup draw. I finally bit the bullet and installed the Micro Air easystart and my startup draw went from 16+ amp initial draw to under 8 amps after the initial setup. I now run the AC on a 10 yo champion 2000 while it is on eco mode and have no issues with this setup. YMMV, this is just my experience.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=225393
Old 03-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think most RV a/c units have start capacitors, but maybe not all. However, some capacitors provide more boost than others. Supco, for example, makes at least two models in the size common to many RV a/c units, the SPP6 Super Boost and the SPP6E Hard Start. From the reports I've seen, neither of the Supcos help anywhere near as much as the Micro-Air Easy Start units, but they only cost about 1/4 as much. Whether it's worth the cost to get softer starting is debatable and may depend on whether you ever have to utilize lower voltage sources or watt-limited generators.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:31 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I installed 2 micro-air easy starts on both coleman 15k ac/heat pump units this past summer & what a difference...my onan genie thanks me all the time when both are running while on the road.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #8

I'm hoping the Micro-Air Easy Starts hold up to their reputation. I just installed one on my 4-ton house residential air conditioner hoping that it will be enough to allow the 12kw backup generator I just ordered to run the AC without issues.

Without the Micro-Air, the 4 ton AC has a LRA rating of 122.3 Amps, which would require a 29k+ surge capacity on a generator, that would be a monster! Others with similar units have reported dropping the LRA by 60 to 70%.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I just installed one on my Phoenix Cruiser A/C. I ran it thru the paces and I'm sure I will glad in got it. No more popping circuit brkrs.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-A-C-Star...h=item1ce36ab0

check this out i have one and it works perfect. they have all sizes and good help service. all you need is a time delay so the fan starts then in a few seconds the compressor starts. this way your gen or what ever doesn't have to start both at the same time. this is when the most current is needed. i priced the parts to build one and its around 20-30 bucks.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #11

https://www.grainger.com/product/4E2...3!264922886856
Here is a time delay or google rv ac time delay.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
I'm hoping the Micro-Air Easy Starts hold up to their reputation. I just installed one on my 4-ton house residential air conditioner hoping that it will be enough to allow the 12kw backup generator I just ordered to run the AC without issues.

Without the Micro-Air, the 4 ton AC has a LRA rating of 122.3 Amps, which would require a 29k+ surge capacity on a generator, that would be a monster! Others with similar units have reported dropping the LRA by 60 to 70%.
Those units have a "learn" phase, where you start the load a handful of times so the unit can adjust what it does to what the load requires and what the supply power looks like while starting. You might have to do that on the generator, since that's the iffy part.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:58 AM   #13

The MicroAir does more than merely delay compressor while fan starts. You can purchase a delay on start device from a HVAC supply house for $20-40. MicroAir reduces Compressor start amps by ramping it up gradually rather than the standard full load at once start provided by start capacitors.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzn57 View Post
I searched , and found nothing that was current.

you tube video's say good and bad, about supco spp5, or spp6.
some say not worth it, others say well worth it.

so I'll ask here, ....
I have a coleman 15000 with heat pump.
and listening to it, when it comes on sounds like a strain.
I do not plan to run it on my 2200 genset, so thats not an issue,
just longevity, ( my house unit has a soft start added on)

so my question is, supco? or another brand, or not needed,

thx for the help!
Those Suppco units are simply capacitors with a potential relay that opens and cuts out the capacitor once the voltage across the winding decreases above some threshold due to the motor running at speed. It's not a soft-start, though.

Motor starting torque sags as the square of the actual voltage to design voltage ratio, so a 10% drop in line voltage while starting results in 81% torque at a given rotor speed, and a 20% drop results in torque sagging to 64%. With a LRA in the 60-80A range, on 12-gauge wiring, on the end of a shore power cord, with others on the same feeder, in an already low voltage condition in the park, it's not hard to see why compressors can have a tough time starting, or not start at all. That's where hard-start kits like that one come in. But it's not going to reduce the current draw, and in fact, it may increase it a bit through the start or start/run winding since the capacitance is much higher.

But if you need to start it off a severely limited power supply, like a small generator, then you need a true soft-start kit, though that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.