Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

Solar panels

What's your opinion on solar panels? Are they helpful and how many (watts) would you recommend for a 37' RV. Would like to do some dry camping but will have propane appliances.
Thanks,
WorldCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #2

Yes, they are worth it, if you park in the sun. 37' motorhome? Rule of thumb is 1x100w solar panel per battery in your house battery bank.
About $2000, installed. Or you can run your generator (noisy).
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Solar can be one of those love/hate affairs. If not properly designed and installed you'll curse it and the money spent. There are those RV service shops that don't have a clue what they're doing with solar, but they'll do it and bill you fr it. There are others that will do a great job, so buyer beware.

As you say you want to boondock it some and that's great. The only way to get real estimate of the battery and solar capacity you'll need is to first do an energy audit on your RV. There are many web sites with good info on the process. But it is a first step, otherwise you are taking some muddy average that may or may not be even close to your needs. Every RV and RV user is different in their power usage. If you go on the low side of the design suggestions, at least make sure the design allows for easy upgrade without having to rewire and replace equipment. Many people have fallen into this pit before and wasted lots of money.

Keep in mind that as most RVs roll out of the factory it is assumed that will spend most of the time in a park with shore power. Thus the battery bank may or may not really meet your boondocking power requirements. Part of the need to do a power audit.

Other issues include where you plan on boondocking, how long in one spot, and season of year. There is no one size fits all for solar power on RVs.

Here's a few links that will provide good info. A little long perhaps but good.

Have fun and be safe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am in the club of go big if you want to dry camp extensively and minimize generator need. I had 600w on previous coach. Installed 1500w on current coach. Large capacity will mitigate shading, overcast days, and low winter sun. Realize that flat mounted panels will produce just ~50-85% of rated output, depending on latitude and time of year.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I recently had solar installed by AM Solar in Springfield, OR. I had been conversing with them for quite some time about solar for my RV. I had a FW and wanted solar, but wound up trading it in on the Class A motor home. I asked for an idea of how much and Roger was most helpful in getting me a ballpark idea. When we arrived, I sat down with Mitch to finalize the deal. I am glad I did because my old inverter was a modified sine wave and the batteries were cheap ones that the dealer had supplied.

The major expenses I added were a 2,000 watt pure sine wave inverter, six 160 watt panels and 4 Lifeline AGM batteries. Yes, it cost some dollars but the results are great. I left there and headed to Reno. I did not hook up my rig to power the whole time. I spent six days in Reno without hook ups. Every day by mid afternoon the system was on float charge. We used the satellite dish, the TV, the micro wave, the electric blanket, my CPAP, the exhaust fans and the water pump. The water heater and refer were on LP. The lowest voltage ever was 12.35 in the early morning before the sun came up.

I am very happy with the system and would do it again.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

We had 400W on our previous rig and 600W currently - both installed by AM Solar.

I have no quibble with what others have said. My gut feel is that we will never get back the cost of the solar panels but we suspected that up front. However, we can go wherever we want without too much hassle - which is why we have them. Use of water will be your major issue if you are properly energy outfitted - lots of variables with that concept.

By the way we have mounting feet that will allow the panels to be tilted. This can greatly increase your output if facing primarily south.

Cheers,
Ed
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #7

Love my solar. Started using solar 15 years ago. Gradually increasing. I now have 900 watts, 672ah of AGM batteries, 2000 watt pure sine inverter. It just works. I added extra panels so I don't have to tilt the panels.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power loss between flat and properly tilted panels in the 30 - 35% range. By adding enough panel(s) to equal that loss rate you don't need to climb on the roof and tilt panels, park the RV at the best south facing direction, etc. Flat will be basically equally good regardless how the RV is angled. Also removes the worry if you have lowered the panels prior to departure.

We have both a fresh water bladder with a pump and a waste water tote with a macerator pump to extend our stays.

But, every one's needs are different so you have work out your own solution. Don't worry about copying what ever your friend has done. It may be a useful guide line, but not a final solution.

Enjoy your freedom...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #9

Solar panels

We are currently living full time in our 5er. I installed 520W of panels, 460AH of 6V batteries and a 2000W inverter. We're currently parked where we only get 3-4 hours of full afternoon sun and it's enough to charge our batteries every day but one during our 3 week stay. We love the fact we don't need to plug our rig into shore power. We watch 3-4 hours of tv a day, run a computer, even make toast for breakfast when we want. We have yet to use more than 16% of our capacity. I installed it myself.

I definitely think it was worth it!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:40 PM   #10

Lots of dough for solar. I would buy one of those small quiet Honda gennys. They really sip gas.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:45 AM   #11

1st step to boondocking is a battery upgrade. Your 37' RV could be a motorhome, TT or fifth wheel, so battery space may vary. The simplest upgrade is to go for larger/better batteries. I swapped my original Group 24 with about 80AH (amp hours) for a Group 27 that had 110AH, replaced incandescent bulbs with LED and dry camped in the Grand Tetons for 3 days. Later, I got a Renogy 100w suitcase portable solar kit for under $300. Then upgraded to dual 6V Golf Cart batteries for 225AH. And finally installed two Renogy 100W panels myself with a 30A controller for around $600.
The point is that it can be done in steps and doesn't always require a shop to do it.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #12

drdarrin: I note you've used quality components (Morningstar MPPT 45 CC, Bogart 2030RV monitor.); what brand of batteries did you go with and what inverter? Lastly, did you use heavy wiring from panels to solar charger and charger to batteries?
rgkroeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #13

As a side note, Solar panels on an RV do qualify for the solar credit of 30%. Depending on which state you are in, you may also be eligible for a state credit. So a $2,000 spent on solar will cost you net of the tax credit $1,400.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #14

I didn't like solar. I prefer a generator. A gen will work rain or shine and their output is not effected by shady trees or cloudy days.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels