Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #15

I made some some noise about maybe getting a toaster oven to keep my wife from fussing about cheese drips in "her" oven. My oldest daughter observed this and guess what I got for Christmas?
It's a cheapo four slice size off a WalMart shelf, whatever the brand is. It's actually pretty decent. Which is nice, since I'm kind of stuck with it. It has an old school manual timer that dings at the end. Simple temp and heating element controls, which is actually kind of nice. I like computers but don't need one for cheese toast.
The main thing I like is the clear glass door that makes it easy to keep watch.
The one thing I would change is the upper heating element. It's a single one in the center. Due to its close proximity to the food this means that one or two slices of toast get a brown stripe across the center. Four slices need to be pulled and rotated about halfway through or they will all only be half brown. Kind of annoying. Three or even four smaller upper heating elements would be ideal. Since there's always a metal tray in the lower part the single lower heating element does fine.

Basically I guess all I'm really saying is that if you like cheese toast, look for one with multiple overhead heating elements.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #16

We've got one of these in the house and use it almost exclusively. Highly rated, not cheap, but worth it.

BREVILLE BOV800XL SMART OVEN 1800-WATT CONVECTION TOASTER OVEN
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
We've got one of these in the house and use it almost exclusively. Highly rated, not cheap, but worth it.

BREVILLE BOV800XL SMART OVEN 1800-WATT CONVECTION TOASTER OVEN
On our galley countertop we have the next one or two sized-up convection Breville. When we lived in a stick-and-brick home the Breville was the go-to oven (unless it was already cooking something, in which case the house ovens were "overflow").

They cook wonderfully even, and we use it for everything we cook...including toast (with no hot spots).

Our coach came with a large factory-installed convection microwave that we only use to keep things warm (from the Breville), or if the Breville is being used...and to heat frozen stuff. Other than that it's basically our coffee re-warmer.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Toaster ovens are a fire hazard. Grease drips on the heating element easily catches fire which can set off the food to burn it up. Also I had one that turns off when you open the door but turns back on when you close the door. When I left the RV, I shut the door forgetting to manually turn it off and came back later to find it still burning. With no food in it, it did not catch on fire but it could have. So I use a regular electric bread toaster and a rack toaster for the propane burner. Then I got this safe cooker which I really like.
https://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker...242523&sr=8-29
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #19

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
For a toaster oven, get one of the Panasonic infrared toaster ovens:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-...63808146&psc=1

There's no waiting for it to get hot and they are a great toaster oven. We've had one for about 8 years, and we use it daily and it is still working like new. I would buy another one when the time comes.
X2 Bought ours from Walmart online.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonavonP View Post
X2 Bought ours from Walmart online.
Are the heating elements on the top only?
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Are the heating elements on the top only?
Appears to be two heating elements. One top and one bottom.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Toaster ovens are a fire hazard. Grease drips on the heating element easily catches fire which can set off the food to burn it up. Also I had one that turns off when you open the door but turns back on when you close the door. When I left the RV, I shut the door forgetting to manually turn it off and came back later to find it still burning. With no food in it, it did not catch on fire but it could have. So I use a regular electric bread toaster and a rack toaster for the propane burner. Then I got this safe cooker which I really like.
https://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker...242523&sr=8-29

The electric bread toaster and safe cooker are not much different than the prior toaster oven...they use electrical heating elements, and if they were to internally short enough to pull too much current (but not enough to trip a breaker) the RV wiring could overheat. Many fires are caused by various electrical issues, including in-wall wiring overheating from faulty (or over-sized) breakers.

We never leave our coach until physically checking that everything with an electrical heating element is turned off...toaster oven, convention microwave, clothes dryer, dishwasher, etc. We even unplug the Chihuahua's heating pad.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #23

https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Multi-P...ag=googhydr-20

We've had the Ninja Foodi on our 'Thinking About' list... Like how it's a permanent mount, but folds up out of the way when not needed.

We've also been looking a small Microwaves too. Seems that when cooking with the GE Avantium Convection Oven feature, we quite often have the need for a quick microwave (Say package rice. Or pasta. Etc.). The Convection oven takes too long to cool down to swap over to the glass tray for a one min or so run of a Microwave...

And since chicken breast, fish, and other lower profile items are what we bake (Increment weather avoidance of BBQ.) - they could fit in the Ninja...

I too like the mentioned Panasonic Infrared approach too... But space is a premium, so the fold/flip up unit kills two birds with one stone. Toaster Oven, and when not use and flipped up, counter space.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 4 slice Mary Proctor toaster here at home that is 52 years old. In the camper we have a $10. toaster that has a bagel/frozen setting. If it dies will get the panasonic infra red
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Saw a tip the other day for using your toaster. We're all use to using our toaster while they're upright, but they will work on their side. So if you want to heat a couple of slices of pizza, without nuking them, just turn your toaster on it's side and slip in the pizza.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Saw a tip the other day for using your toaster. We're all use to using our toaster while they're upright, but they will work on their side. So if you want to heat a couple of slices of pizza, without nuking them, just turn your toaster on it's side and slip in the pizza.
I tried that once. That was enough.

Smoke alarm went off, cheese melted all over inside the toaster, and the pizza tasted like a chunk of warmed up cardboard.

But the pizza was warm.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Don, give that a try and let us know how that works out for you. If that was really true wouldn't they market it that way?
Lynn
Old 04-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought a cheap $10 toaster from our local grocery store, has worked fine for years.
One caution however. Whatever you buy, be sure and clean the crumbs out regularly, otherwise you may develop a mouse problem. I thought I had removed all foodstuffs from the MH before winter storage but completely overlooked the toaster.

Not pretty.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote