Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2017, 12:08 AM   #1

Some Hitachi cordless items dont come with a battery.

Hi,

Today while doing the final preps before i visit my first RV park i went and got a cordless drill, cordless circular saw, and cordless skill saw from lowes. I knew i would need them eventually and i wanted to get them now on sale and so i could use the same battery for all three.

I had to drive totally accross town to get the drill because my local store did not have one. I spent almost $300 on the trio. When i got back i opened up the skill saw and the circular saw and neigher of them come with batteries or the charger. So i figured since the drill comes with 2 batteries and the charger that i would be ok.

NOPE!! The drill has a different kind of battery. So now the only way i can use the circular saw and skill saw is to go buy two BSL1851? (x or s) batteries and the charger which are not cheap $69 each. Ebay has better prices but it still ticks me off that i paid so much money and didnt even get a battery to use with them.

So beware of Hitachi sales, in the end its not a sale at all.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 05:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This is common with battery operated hand tools, you have to read the packaging to know what is included. Once you get a couple tools and set up with batteries you are pretty much locked into that brand.

My wife bought Ryobi battery powered fans (not many others make these) and a batter charger capable of charging 6 batteries. We have now expanded out tools to include drills, hammer drills, caulk gun, flash lights, and saw.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:16 AM   #3

Ryobi tools are great since they have different tools that fit the Bats, plus the have different bats. that hold a longer charge meaning they are bigger but fit the same charger! Meet little air gun that goes to 150psi.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I had to drive totally accross town to get the drill because my local store did not have one. I spent almost $300 on the trio. When i got back i opened up the skill saw and the circular saw and neigher of them come with batteries or the charger. So i figured since the drill comes with 2 batteries and the charger that i would be ok.
Why not return the saws and get models that use the same battery?

Since batteries are sharable, it's common for cordless tools to be available with or without a battery. I guess you were not aware that it is also common for there to be different battery sizes and types, even within the same brand. For example, there may be both Ni-cad and lithium battery models, and various voltages as well. I assure you, Hitachi is not alone in this. I have both Porter-Cable and Ryobi cordless tools, and Porter Cable has at least two different battery types and are currently selling 8v, 12v, 18v and 20v models. Ryobi, on the other hand, has tried to standardize on 18v lithium for their One+ system, but at some point they will have to start offering 20v (or larger) models as well.

It's a "caveat emptor" situation - you just have to pay attention when you shop.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Home Depot or Lowe's get the kits that have the same batteries. Most of the major brands have models with either 12 or 18 volt with small and large batteries in each voltage.

LEN
Old 06-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #6

I assume thats why the other brands are more expensive, they come with batteries. Yes i need to pay attention when i shop.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Ryobi tools are great since they have different tools that fit the Bats, plus the have different bats. that hold a longer charge meaning they are bigger but fit the same charger! Meet little air gun that goes to 150psi.
Everything is Ryobi. Impact gun, drill, weed whacker, blower, etc, etc. Great for home use. Buy when they are on sale so have 5 batteries and three chargers.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I guess you don't buy battery operated tools too often. There is nothing to be aware of and Hitachi/Ryobi didn't cheat you. Almost all of the battery operated tools now come without batteries or chargers. I've got 5-6 Milwaukee chargers from when I bought tools years ago. These companies realized there was no need to include a charger with every tool and the batteries can be shared.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #9

I cant share the battery from my drill with the skill saw and the circular saw, they are different batteries :( hard lesson learned
Old 06-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Lowe's has some great kit deals going. I just purchased a 4 piece Dewalt kit with 20v lithium batteries. Can add any tool I need. Just have to match tool to the batteries. Why not return the items that don't match up? Or return all and get a kit that works for you? Not a hard lesson now. Just out some time. Plus anytime I'm looking at tools is time we'll spent. Lol
TripleGGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dave.......just take them back and buy one of the kits from Home Depot or Lowes. They'll have a BUNCH of sales for Father's Day in two weeks.

If you're buying tools exclusively for the motor home, Ryobi is fine since there will be little use. If you're buying tools for your garage and to use on the motor home, buy a better quality tool......they'll be cheaper in the long run. If you go to Home Depot, they sell the Milwaukee line. I've owned a LOT of battery operated tools and find the Milwaukee line tools and batteries hold up better than others. Even when Milwaukee comes out with a larger or more powerful battery, it still fits all of their tools. They have everything from 3/8" impacts to drills to fiber optic scopes. Every holiday or birthday, you can buy another tool.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #12

I have Rigid power tools, all use the same batteries. My son has Kobalt tools, and they use the same batteries in all the Kobalt power tools as well. I prefer Rigid because of the lifetime warranty, but my son hasnt had any problems with his either
Dillon_fwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #13

i might just bite the bullet and pay for a single battery and charger on ebay. I dont plan to use them alot, but when i need them i need them. If i return the skill and circ saw then ill end up paying 3x what i paid for another brand. So ill keep what i have and dump another $100 into it and be done.

By the way i did ask the guy at lowes the day before if Hitachi had combo set sales and he said very rarely, its mostly the other known brands that do that kind of thing. But again its much more expensive for those brands. My dad has has his hatichi drill for 7 years not and its still going strong. I dont plan to use it as much as he does so it should last me a long time.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dave.....just a thought. I do all my own repairs and servicing. I carry just enough tools to fix things like replacing a water pump, wire repair, extra nuts, bolts and screws for anything that comes loose. You can go crazy and carry way too many things. I find a propane powered soldering iron and a cheap voltmeter are items I've needed the most, usually to fix another RV.

Instead of worrying about rechargeable batteries, I carry an inexpensive 3/8" corded drill. I can also use it as a nut/screw driver. This way I don't have to worry about having a charged battery.

You say your family uses Kobalt products (Lowes). I found this last Christmas at Lowes and again bought one for both son-in-laws (they have TT's) and one for myself. https://www.lowes.com/pd/SpeedHex-Fl...t-Set/50273923

It's just the right size and powerful enough to do small repairs around the RV. The battery holds a charge for a long time and will recharge quickly. I keep it in a drawer inside the coach with some other small tools like needle nose, pliers and wire cutters.

Tags
battery, ems