Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #57

Insult at gas station

Had our MH on the road in Arkansas, puiled into a gas station to the farthest pump island, and waited patiently in the drive to get to the pumps. The New York car at the pump looked empty, and we waited over 10 minutes, and the guy saunters out of the restaurant. He stares at our motorhome waiting for the pump, and gradually gets into his car. Then nothing...we wait another 15 minutes and a woman gets out of the passenger seat, gets something from the rear seat, and gets back in the car. We wait. The man gets out the car, looks at us, pumps some gas, walks around the car, then re-enters it. We wait another 10-15 minutes. He starts his engine, pulls away and another car (that he had spotted) pulls to the pump in front of us!! That woman pumped her gas quickly and left. We got to the pump, and couldn't read the screen on the pump in the direct sun light. I went inside, got the manager, and made him read the screen for me. He said customers like the New Yorker happened all the time, park at the pumps, and go in and have dinner. Sometimes there are fist fights on his station lot!

We couldn't believe or understand the New Yorker's action and attitude. My wife wouldn't let me go talk with him (probably a good idea not to, at the time). Some people seem to have only disgust for other people, why???
RGPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #58

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGPool View Post
Had our MH on the road in Arkansas, puiled into a gas station to the farthest pump island, and waited patiently in the drive to get to the pumps. The New York car at the pump looked empty, and we waited over 10 minutes, and the guy saunters out of the restaurant. He stares at our motorhome waiting for the pump, and gradually gets into his car. Then nothing...we wait another 15 minutes and a woman gets out of the passenger seat, gets something from the rear seat, and gets back in the car. We wait. The man gets out the car, looks at us, pumps some gas, walks around the car, then re-enters it. We wait another 10-15 minutes. He starts his engine, pulls away and another car (that he had spotted) pulls to the pump in front of us!! That woman pumped her gas quickly and left. We got to the pump, and couldn't read the screen on the pump in the direct sun light. I went inside, got the manager, and made him read the screen for me. He said customers like the New Yorker happened all the time, park at the pumps, and go in and have dinner. Sometimes there are fist fights on his station lot!

We couldn't believe or understand the New Yorker's action and attitude. My wife wouldn't let me go talk with him (probably a good idea not to, at the time). Some people seem to have only disgust for other people, why???
A few weeks ago I went to a KOA dump station, paid my fee, and got in line behind a guy who was blocking, but not using, the dump station, knowing I was behind him, for a full fifteen minutes before I got out, knocked on his window, and politely asked him "Could you please pull up into that empty area right there, so I can use the dump station?", pointing to a wide shoulder about 40ft in front of him. He immediately started banging his fists on the steering wheel and yelling that he'd move as soon as his site was available.

I went back to my truck and about ten minutes later was about to go for conversation round two, when his apparent wife came out of the front office, got into the truck, and he started moving. I figured that was my last encounter with him, and dumped my septic bladder. There wasn't potable water at the dump, so I went in and asked where the potable water fill is. The attendant told me to use one of the two sites right by the office.

I go back outside and the same guy who was blocking my way to the dump station was now blocking my way to the two sites I was told to use for potable fill. Turns out he was assigned to one, and had to make a fifty point turn to get halfway into one even though there was plenty of room to make it in a single shot. When he finally got into one enough to get out and walk around (about fifteen minutes later), I went to the other, and started filling. He marched up with his arms crossed and started yelling at me again, this time for taking up his site. I asked why he was parked in the other site, and he said "well, I couldn't get into this one." I stood my ground and kept filling the potable water at that point because I wasn't going to move with him being so rude.

If he would have just been nicer, I would have worked with him and probably helped him get into his site. As I was waiting on the water, I noticed his baggage door had a states map on it with at least half the states marked off. How he's made it so far being so angry, agitated, and unable to park, I have no clue. His wife kept glaring at me as well, apparently sharing his contempt. They were an elderly couple with Utah plates, the KOA being in Lava Hot Springs, Idaho.

He may have been having a bad day, or could have just been a rude person. But whatever the case, his attitude was uncalled for and being nice would have possibly saved him a lot of frustration. Reap what you sow, is it?
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #59

Well, I guess that we are very lucky, We haven't run into rude, crazy people. The people that we do run into are friendly and helpful. Willing to help us while parking. Last week we were in Gulf Shores, parked next to a family that rents a site for 3 months, had great accessories like, gazebo with accent lights, lawn chairs, 3 grills, fan, umbrella. He told us that they were leaving in the morning and that we could use anything that he had there. He left and we never saw hime again. We did use a charcoal grill, left it clean the way we fond it. Love those BAMA folk.
bmcevers20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
All too many people are only thinking about their only personal satisfaction and have zero concern for anyone else. It is sad to see such lack of respect of others.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #61

I am 6'7" and only have trouble with little people.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #62

Many a big guy has gotten over because of his size and never been in a fight. Then they go down fast when they run into a tough little guy who has done lots of fighting. My Dad was one of those tough little guys, when I was a kid I saw him label several guys. He didn't exchange threats and insults, he just struck; always went for the nose.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #63

I’m not perfect, far from it, with a quick temper. However, reading through 5 pages of insults and outright contempt for our younger generation I need to speak up. I have seen despicable behavior from all age groups, but I’ve also seen great kindness and empathy from all groups. However, some of you need to go back and read all the comments without looking at who posted. I think you’d come to the conclusion that there are a lot of grumpy, self-entitled old men in this forum with only a scattering of empathy and kindness.
I’m ashamed for some of you, as I’m ashamed of myself when I act this way. We should all strive to be more like Mr. Rogers and less like Archie Bunker.
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
I’m not perfect, far from it, with a quick temper. However, reading through 5 pages of insults and outright contempt for our younger generation I need to speak up. I have seen despicable behavior from all age groups, but I’ve also seen great kindness and empathy from all groups. However, some of you need to go back and read all the comments without looking at who posted. I think you’d come to the conclusion that there are a lot of grumpy, self-entitled old men in this forum with only a scattering of empathy and kindness.
I’m ashamed for some of you, as I’m ashamed of myself when I act this way. We should all strive to be more like Mr. Rogers and less like Archie Bunker.
Just when I thought we should skip this "full timing" thing I read your thread and am reminded that quite often the kind, thoughtful gestures are not mentioned as often as the rude ones.
The last time we camped we had a family that was local leave us some stuff from their garden as a thanks for helping them setup their popup.
Pay it forward.....
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSpor View Post
Maybe I was misunderstood. I mean it's all about them. In their opinion, it's all about them and they don't care about you one little bit. They are so selfish, they don't even want to share the air with you. No offense taken.

People are just stupid, rude, selfish, and the concept of taking personal responsibility for their actions or realizing there are repercussions to their action is just non-existent in their twisted, self-centered heads.

Those of us who were raised to actually use our heads and think our way out of a wet paper bag can only shake our heads at such inconsiderate and selfish behavior.
-----------------------------
People don't always exhibit the above characteristics on purpose. I've been guilty, just because I was unaware of protocol. I was terribly embarrassed, but I never intended to be inconsiderate. If someone had just said, "Would you mind doing whatever", I would certainly have done it and been thankful to have learned another of life's lessons.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #66

sorry I've been offline for a while with no cell service. -

I do want to thank all that responded, it made me realize I am not alone, and most importantly I have a choice in how I react to those other than friendly people.

Also, it seems to have picked up a theme that these people I encountered might have been a younger generation, they were not, in both cases they were mid 50's or so. I don't want to label younger people as inconsiderate, I have not actually run into many of them yet so want to be clear on that.

I think this has run its course, admins if you would please close this thread.

Thank you all!
Old 07-02-2020, 05:07 AM   #67

There doesn't seem to be anything "common" about having "common sense " anymore
Suprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:13 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprz View Post
There doesn't seem to be anything "common" about having "common sense " anymore

Anymore?? I been hearing that since the 1960s from the grumpy old people. The only difference is that I am now I am the grumpy old people.

I've watched my friends make the same choices over and over until they paid for bad decisions. I learned from watching them. One trait my grandfather instilled into me was to learn from others so I didn't have to learn the hard way.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:28 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Anymore?? I been hearing that since the 1960s from the grumpy old people. The only difference is that I am now I am the grumpy old people.

One of my favorite sayings: "'Twas ever thus"...
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually, Abraham Lincoln said that.
"The trouble with common sense is, it's not very common."
It's an age old human affliction.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote