Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #1

Something else to worry about

As everyone knows travel has been limited and if you didn't have enough to worry about here is something to think about if you have a motorhome or tow vehicle that is powered by gasoline. They are selling gasoline in what is considered low volumes in todays market and that fuel contains as a minimum 10% alcohol that doesn't age very well. Now add to this that this fuel is know for separation as it sits in your tank. Just something to think about as you sit there being safe in these trying times. Yes you can thank the government for the required E10 and E85 fuels.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #2

If its a concern, you can always just add a fuel stabilizer to your gas tank.

Or, I imagine you can just drive around the campground and let that sloshing re-mix the fuel.

Honestly though, I've used 'stale gas' that was 6 months old with no noticeable issue in my car and lawn equipment.
Michael1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Graham View Post
As everyone knows travel has been limited and if you didn't have enough to worry about here is something to think about if you have a motorhome or tow vehicle that is powered by gasoline. They are selling gasoline in what is considered low volumes in todays market and that fuel contains as a minimum 10% alcohol that doesn't age very well. Now add to this that this fuel is know for separation as it sits in your tank. Just something to think about as you sit there being safe in these trying times. Yes you can thank the government for the required E10 and E85 fuels.

Gasoline in station tanks is turning over less quickly but it's still being sold. I don't think I've seen a gasoline retailer closed up due to lack of sales, but I haven't been everywhere, man...

The "government" you blame is the elected officials that voters put in office.

Ethanol is a classic political compromise to make happy multiple constituencies while creating unintended consequences for others. It made farmer organizations happy, it kind of made some environmental groups happy, it made ethanol facility builders happy and for *most* of the public it has almost zero impact on their daily lives. For the tiny constituency for whom such things are a consideration, we're left to our own remedies.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #4

The millions who put their lawn mower away in the fall, pull it out and start it right up in the spring probably wouldn't notice any difference in their cars because in a car, the fuel system is closed these days. It's not a closed system on a lawn mower and on those rare occasions where the lawn mower won't start, just adding some fresh gas takes care of the problem. Likely the same would happen with a car.

Not a big worry I don't think.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1955 View Post
If its a concern, you can always just add a fuel stabilizer to your gas tank.

Or, I imagine you can just drive around the campground and let that sloshing re-mix the fuel.

Honestly though, I've used 'stale gas' that was 6 months old with no noticeable issue in my car and lawn equipment.
Today's modern computer controlled vehicle systems can compensate for varying degrees of fuel quality, up to a point of course. Lawn equipment, not so much. I've had problems with stale gas in a snowthrower (lack of power) that sat in the tank (not carb) over the summer. It ran but poorly.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Let me the Refinery Operations Manager opine. Ethanol added to gasoline remains well mixed in the final gasoline product (as does butane added to the gasoline) and does not separate out of the gasoline blend even if stored for an extended period of time (12 months or more). The primary concern storing gasoline for many, many months is its 'oxidative stability' as the gasoline sits in contact with air. If an anti-oxidant additive (such as the red colored Sta-bil brand additive) is not added to the gasoline, the olefinic and aromatic gasoline molecules will "oxidize" and make the gasoline dark in color. Additionally, those molecules will form "gums" which result in increased deposits in engine injectors, intake/exhaust valves, etc.

So, best thing to do is add an anti-oxidant additive to your (our) gasoline tanks now and each time gasoline is purchased if the gasoline will sit in the tank for more than one month.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #7

If you don’t want ethanol gas then buy REC gas. No ethanol. I use it in all my small engines it more expensive but easier on the rubber fuel lines and rubber fittings.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
If you don’t want ethanol gas then buy REC gas. No ethanol. I use it in all my small engines it more expensive but easier on the rubber fuel lines and rubber fittings.

REC gas------Ethanol Free
Find a station near you.......amost 16,000 stations

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:45 PM   #9

Not concerned at all about using old gas. Have never used any kind of fuel additive and have never had a problem running an engine after it had sat up for months. The only thing I've ever experienced was the deterioration of the fuel lines on my weed eater. I'm guessing the gasoline caused this but it could have just been that the weedeater was about 20 years old at the time.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #10

I have 2 vintage muscle cars that sit dormant for 6 months every year. And living along the Lake Michigan metropolis, they peddle the reformulated blend of gas here. Contrary to popular opinion of some people, I've never had any gasoline related problems with them.
JKjavelin
Old 04-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #11

Just one question: "what is a snow blower?" [smile]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #12

I add Star Tron Enzyme to the fuel that goes into our boat. It has a 4.3 liter GM carbureted V6. It sits outside with a cover from mid May to mid October under the AZ sun where temperatures are over 110 degrees for several weeks in June and July. If there was ever a condition that could turn gas with ethanol bad, this is it. In Oct, I plug in the onboard charger that brings both batteries up to full charge and start it up. In less than 30 seconds, it is idling smooth. I do run both tanks down to a minimum before storage. In WI I use the same product, but leave that boat with full tanks from Sept to May with the same results.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Just one question: "what is a snow blower?" [smile]
HAHA.

When I sell the house, I'm throwing in the snowblower as part of the sale. Never want to see it again!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #14

No problem for me with most of my gasoline driven stuff. I did have a problem with my ATV and it sleeps in a shed. I've got to pull the carb off and clean it.
I add stabilizer to my boats and never had a problem. I wish that I had added stabilizer to my ATV.