Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #1

Sometimes you actually win

I won't compare myself to Diogenes in search of an honest man, but I feel I must share a GREAT experience with a manufacturer.

In preparation for our Alaska trip (leaving next week) one of the items we needed to take care of was our satellite dish. We had a perfectly good, working Winegard Roadtrip closed dome antenna, but knew it wouldn't work well in Alaska. After much research I went with the RF Mogul over the Winegard Traveler. Both are Open array and very comparable. One of the major reasons for selecting the RF Mogul was it's designed to be serviced by the owner, just didn't know I would get to test that so soon

Bought the system and had it installed at the FMCA rally in Georgia, worked fine. Decided to test it , again in preparation, and it couldn't find itself. Emailed RF Mogul first thing and they called a few hours later. We worked on diagnosing the problem and found the built in GPS malfunctioning.

They mailed me a replacement GPS and emailed very clear, detailed instruction to replace it. Took 15 minutes once on the roof.

Good old fashioned SERVICE! They delivered what they promised.

The Winegard Traveler can only be factory serviced and you must send it back (save that shipping box folks).

I have no long term ownership to report as this is not a review of the product but of the Company itself.

Good folks IMHO.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
I won't compare myself to Diogenes in search of an honest man, but I feel I must share a GREAT experience with a manufacturer.

In preparation for our Alaska trip (leaving next week) one of the items we needed to take care of was our satellite dish. We had a perfectly good, working Winegard Roadtrip closed dome antenna, but knew it wouldn't work well in Alaska. After much research I went with the RF Mogul over the Winegard Traveler. Both are Open array and very comparable. One of the major reasons for selecting the RF Mogul was it's designed to be serviced by the owner, just didn't know I would get to test that so soon

Bought the system and had it installed at the FMCA rally in Georgia, worked fine. Decided to test it , again in preparation, and it couldn't find itself. Emailed RF Mogul first thing and they called a few hours later. We worked on diagnosing the problem and found the built in GPS malfunctioning.

They mailed me a replacement GPS and emailed very clear, detailed instruction to replace it. Took 15 minutes once on the roof.

Good old fashioned SERVICE! They delivered what they promised.

The Winegard Traveler can only be factory serviced and you must send it back (save that shipping box folks).

I have no long term ownership to report as this is not a review of the product but of the Company itself.

Good folks IMHO.
Congratulations on the repair work.
Enjoy your road trip to Alaska.
Scott
Old 05-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #3

I echo the recommendation of RFM. We installed ours and used it for two years. We were very happy with it. We recently traded the coach and allowed the system to go with the coach.

Now we are working on getting a new system installed. We will definitely go with a new RFM.

Tom & Jan
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #4

I had considered a RFM last year to replace our aging '07 sat dish. Instead I got a portable Dish unit for a fraction of the price. It of course is not as good picking up the sat signal, but I'm glad I didn't go the open array sat dish route. Sat TV is gong the way of the dinosaur. Streaming is the way to go and I've put some money in that tech.

In AK you will have trouble receiving any sat signal due to the location of the satellites further south, unless you sign up with a Canadian sat provider. The curvature of the earth will block the signal. Once you get north of Dawson Creek cell signals are difficult to get so streaming is not the answer either.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #5

I know nothing about the antennae but is it an oversize one? I've read that those are necessary when traveling to Alaska. We explored.... didn't watch t.v.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #6

Paul,

Which TV provider are you using for the trip...Dish or DTV?

Why?
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I had considered a RFM last year to replace our aging '07 sat dish. Instead I got a portable Dish unit for a fraction of the price. It of course is not as good picking up the sat signal, but I'm glad I didn't go the open array sat dish route. Sat TV is gong the way of the dinosaur. Streaming is the way to go and I've put some money in that tech.

In AK you will have trouble receiving any sat signal due to the location of the satellites further south, unless you sign up with a Canadian sat provider. The curvature of the earth will block the signal. Once you get north of Dawson Creek cell signals are difficult to get so streaming is not the answer either.
Satellite may be going the way of the Dinosaur, but I too am a dinosaur

Seriously, streaming is a long way away from being easy or universal but the biggest problem is streaming requires an Internet connection and they are harder and slower to find than satellite.

Actually, for those of us who like being off the grid sometimes, satellite internet is really the way to go but still too expensive for my taste.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I know nothing about the antennae but is it an oversize one? I've read that those are necessary when traveling to Alaska. We explored.... didn't watch t.v.
Yes, the RFM is an oversize dish.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
Paul,

Which TV provider are you using for the trip...Dish or DTV?

Why?

I am using Dish because I have been using Dish for about 20-25 years at my houses and RVs and for me it works better than Direct.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #10

We are leaving tomorrow and expect to return home sometime in Sept.

I won't be on the forum much while away, so I hope everyone has a great and safe summer.

See you in the fall.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
We are leaving tomorrow and expect to return home sometime in Sept.

I won't be on the forum much while away, so I hope everyone has a great and safe summer.

See you in the fall.

We're leaving May 31 for Alaska returning in late Sep. I have an AT&T hot spot which we'll be using to connect to this forum and other sites. The hot spot won't work in Canada and has limited in coverage in Alaska. We'll be using CG WiFi as well as libraries and Starbucks, probably a lot.

Since Dish won't work much north of the US Canadian border, I not even taking it.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Seriously, streaming is a long way away from being easy or universal but the biggest problem is streaming requires an Internet connection and they are harder and slower to find than satellite.
We thought streaming was the way to go if nothing good was on DTV. Wrong. Our AT&T unlimited data plan (via hotspot) got throttled back pretty quick.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
We're leaving May 31 for Alaska returning in late Sep. I have an AT&T hot spot which we'll be using to connect to this forum and other sites. The hot spot won't work in Canada and has limited in coverage in Alaska. We'll be using CG WiFi as well as libraries and Starbucks, probably a lot.

Since Dish won't work much north of the US Canadian border, I not even taking it.
Tim,

Dish WILL work as far north as Dawson Creek/Tok area if you have the RIGHT antenna. That is why I started this and other threads.