Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
This would have been a good unit for you. 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 35 foot
unfortunately it has just sold for $49,900. So, the deals are out there, keep an eye out!

Attachment 76268
There is actually a Winnebago Chieftain, 2001 I think, for sale down a few towns from me. Only 20K miles and all BRAND new tires. Very very clean MH. Has the Ford V10, and aslo the AC unit in the back basement. That AC setup good? Asking $41K but am told I can get it down in the $30s.
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreco View Post
You just answered a very good question. ...the fact that you want to tow a 20' enclosed trailer can only be done with a DP. ..

Gas tow limit = 5000 lb

DP tow limit = 10000 lb

Great catch

OP if you are towing more than 5,000 lbs you NEED a DP.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
There is actually a Winnebago Chieftain, 2001 I think, for sale down a few towns from me. Only 20K miles and all BRAND new tires. Very very clean MH. Has the Ford V10, and aslo the AC unit in the back basement. That AC setup good? Asking $41K but am told I can get it down in the $30s.
I prefer our basement A/C over the roof mounts, there are many discussions on the good and bad concerning both on this site, a simple search will give you all the info you want.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/basem...ts-145951.html
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Yes that is very unjustified. Both the ford and chevy motors are good motors but different philosophies. The chevy motor will run at a lower RPM so it is quieter, especially is the mountains. But the real added bonus is that the chevy motor is matted to the bullet proof Allison transmission. Personally I think the Chevy/Allison combo is more desirable and seems to run at a premium over the ford platform.
Having had both, l will say that the 8.1 Chevy engine is fully as loud as the Ford V10 when pulling a hill. I also feel that the V10 will do anything the 8.1 will do. I also never had any problems or concerns with the tranny. By the way I had the original 275 no V10.

Glenn
Old 10-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a bounder and tow a 20 ft enclosed haulmark trailer that weighs in loaded at 5000 pounds. We have criss crossed the country in this rig and our previous rig in access of 100000 miles. We have traveled the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina as well as Pennsylvania and New York. I can tell you I have passed DP's and 18 wheelers as well as been passed by them. Our current v10 and our previous 8.1 both proved to be bullet proof without one single breakdown. I figure I have saved a whole bunch of money in maintenance and repairs with our gassers. When I retire I will go to diesel but not for power. I will go to it because I want the convenience of aqua hot and the luxury a high end pusher gives you. For now, my bounder has plenty of convenience and luxury. If I were on a budget I would by the gas. When you go diesel on a budget you have to go a few years older and now you are dealing with an interior that is out of date that could effect resale not to mention risking major maintenance downn the line such as leaks ect. I couldn't deal with an older coach with an interior that looked like my grandmothers house. You can definitely see the difference in the last couple years vs say 05 to 00 interiors.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is not just torque and power...

First: There is cargo carrying capacity, this is the difference between the weight of the motor home as delivered, and the maximum Gross vehicle weight,, On gassers that is often 22,000 pounds but may be different, IN my case (I drive a gasser) that is less than 1,000 pounds.

Then there is towing capacity, that is the difference between the loaded weight of the motor home and the Maximum COMBINED Gross vehicle weight or the rating of the receiver whichever is less, in my case the difference is 4,000 pounds and the receiver 5,000 so it's 4,000 pounds assuming Im NOT using a drop hitch adapter.. this lowers the receiver's rating. (I am, and towing 2,500 pounds).

Diesels often come with 10K hitches and can tow it too.

Next we get licensing requirements.. Some states a heavier vehicle needs a heavier driver's license.. Mine it does not in this case. Cut off weights vary state to state.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Having had both, l will say that the 8.1 Chevy engine is fully as loud as the Ford V10 when pulling a hill. I also feel that the V10 will do anything the 8.1 will do. I also never had any problems or concerns with the tranny. By the way I had the original 275 no V10.

Glenn

Glenn,

I've driven both up mountain passes. It's just simple physics, the ford V10 motor is designed to rev higher, so it's louder (in Dba and pitch). As I said before the ford motor is a great motor and since it's designed to rev high it doesn't hurt it, to do so. As far as the tranny goes I am not saying that Fords is bad just that Allison is best on the market. I don't think you will get many people disputing that. :wink:
Old 10-12-2014, 04:44 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I have a bounder and tow a 20 ft enclosed haulmark trailer that weighs in loaded at 5000 pounds. We have criss crossed the country in this rig and our previous rig in access of 100000 miles. We have traveled the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina as well as Pennsylvania and New York. I can tell you I have passed DP's and 18 wheelers as well as been passed by them. Our current v10 and our previous 8.1 both proved to be bullet proof without one single breakdown. I figure I have saved a whole bunch of money in maintenance and repairs with our gassers. When I retire I will go to diesel but not for power. I will go to it because I want the convenience of aqua hot and the luxury a high end pusher gives you. For now, my bounder has plenty of convenience and luxury. If I were on a budget I would by the gas. When you go diesel on a budget you have to go a few years older and now you are dealing with an interior that is out of date that could effect resale not to mention risking major maintenance downn the line such as leaks ect. I couldn't deal with an older coach with an interior that looked like my grandmothers house. You can definitely see the difference in the last couple years vs say 05 to 00 interiors.
I tow a 4500lb Jeep wrangler 4 wheels down behind my 36' Dolphin...W22 chassis. ..rated to tow 4000lbs...I use a blue ox 10000lb tow bar, and a patriot brake system. ..I tow it just fine, but I'm definitely at my max. ..

You tow a 5000lb 20' enclosed trailer behind your Bounder... rated to tow 4000lbs...I know you tow it fine, but did you realize you are over - loaded?

Most 20' enclosed trailers have a capacity of between 7500lb, and 10000lb....

The fact that the original poster is looking to put a car and "stuff" inside leads me to believe he should be looking at DP's and not gassers. ..
Old 10-12-2014, 04:46 AM   #37

Why am I hearing that a DP is higher maintenance over a gasser?
Old 10-12-2014, 05:03 AM   #38

Quote:
For starters....15qt oil change vs 6qts. .. but to be fair, you can go 12k miles in between changes. ..and most people can can do minor mechanics on a gas engine.....diesel engine not so much .
Old 10-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #39

Quote:

Ummmm simple answer is because it is.

I've owned both, annual maintenance from my spreadsheet shows that my DPs ran about $450 a year, while the gasser is about $100 a year. Plus I can do most of the maintenance on the gasser but the DP has to go into the shop, which costs time and diesel.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #40

Quote:

For one thing, the engine oil and transmission fluid are measured in multiple gallons instead of quarts. There are also a couple of fuel filters, maybe a coolant filter and these filters are larger and more $$$ than for gas. There is an air system that requires service every 2-3 years.

The diesel maintenance cycle is longer with service usually being annual or 15k miles rather than 3-5k miles.

I own a DP but I'm a full timer and have lived and traveled I my coach for nearly 8 years now. For most full timers or half timers/snowbirds, a DP is a pretty appealing choice. If you are a part time/weekender/vacationer then the choice is much less clear cut.

It's really a question of size and weight. If you can fulfill your needs with a coach weighing 20-24k pounds then a gas coach makes a lot of sense. If you really need a coach over 30 k pounds or really want the traveling comfort of a air suspension then a diesel is the answer.

Look at your needs based of your projected usage. Then look at your wants. The decision will be more apparent.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:22 AM   #41

You mention your credit might be a little less than perfect. If you need to fiance all or even part of this purchase, you need to get that in order ASAP. Doing that will give you a much clearer picture of what you should be looking at? Don't wait until finding that perfect coach only to find out all your time and effort wasted because you (or it) won't qualify.

I think you might find that any financing on units built 2004 and prior may be difficult, even with good credit....

Also, I'm not so sure I would tell the bank about your plans to full time?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #42

Thanks..

Well, being I have lived most of my life with big equipment, all diesel, I am somewhat comfortable with their maintenance. But all good points and well taken.

I will be living on this full time and traveling at a slow pace while doing so. I do have the help of a co-signer I believe so this could also be a way to help get my credit back in some good order. But again, great point that I need to investigate this asap. I won't be financing very much at all, .. want the payments kept low low, so I will be down paying %50 or more. Really want to live as dept free as I can, but also don't want to screw myself by buying too cheap to do so. I want this to be as pleasant an experience as possible. I've spent most of my life owning fixer upper things, mostly because I can and it was fun. I need to grow up now and try and move away from that way of life.