Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
The two things you mentioned are probable causes to make a stop. RAS is a lower standard, but one that requires a reasonable articulable suspicion. A cop canít stop you strictly on the basis of your car being from another state. And yes, you donít have to answer any questions not directly related to the stop, nor can the cop extend the stop without RAS or PC. Neither of which is brought about by invoking a constitutional right. Want the magic words? ďAm I free to go?Ē Anything other than a yes, the stop has become a custodial circumstance which REQUIRES the reading of your Miranda warnings (donít need to be a physical arrest, simply your movement restricted) including the opportunity to have your attorney present. Once you invoke those rights, the cop canít even ask another exploratory question without your attorney present. And you definitely donít have to answer if he does.

28 years LEO.
Maybe that is why the MVD is asking for help in that problem. They know the hands are tied for the police
parcany2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 10:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
If states such as AZ would have a more reasonable tax environment for RVs, they may just find their tax revenues actually increase. Avoiding taxes is as American as baseball and apple pie.
I was brought up a little differently. My Dad was 22.6 years in the Marines and was a Drill Sarge and taught us [Sister and I] to do things the right way cause if and when you get caught it will be twice as bad than if you do things right the first time. In my job in the Air Force I had to do things the right way the first time or I would not be here now. To each his own.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:30 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Avoiding taxes is not the same as evading taxes. One is legal, the other is not.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:33 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Police in AZ use heat as the reasonable articulable suspicion to traffic stop out of state plates? Iíd love to see the department policy which approves it. Please let them stop me for driving there with out of state plates. Itíll be fun.

You have the right to remain silent. For example, you do not have to answer any questions about where you are going, where you are traveling from, what you are doing, or where you live. If you wish to exercise your right to remain silent, say so out loud.

We have protections under the 4th and 5th amendments.

You have to give your license to an officer that pulls you over everywhere. Driving is a privilege, not a right. If you fail or refuse to identify yourself including your residence address in Arizona, it's a class 2 misdemeanor.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
You have to give your license to an officer that pulls you over everywhere. Driving is a privilege, not a right. If you fail or refuse to identify yourself including your residence address in Arizona, it's a class 2 misdemeanor.
So you're saying a cop in AZ can just pull you over and demand your license when you haven't committed any infraction? Why do the people put up with that?

Papers please! How unamerican. It's not like that in most states.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
If states such as AZ would have a more reasonable tax environment for RVs, they may just find their tax revenues actually increase. Avoiding taxes is as American as baseball and apple pie.
While I really, really dislike having to send $2500 to the Arizona MVD for the registration of a slightly used B+ (which is what it cost me when I bought it) I do have to say that the Arizona tax structure and the items that are taxed are not too bad otherwise. Consider:

State sales tax - 5.6% and does not include food or medicine or labor.
cities can add their own sales tax, and generally do.

Property tax on similarly priced homes is about 1/3 of what I see when I look at the San Antonio area (where DW and I have been talking about moving).

Vehicle registration fees are partially refundable if you cancel your registration (as for example, moving, or selling your vehicle).

State income tax rates are not too high.

Electric rates, at least where I live, seem quite reasonable.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #21

I would like to know what would happen to anybody that gets pulled over in any state and refuses to give the police person your license and registration and insurance card. Might be going to the grey bar hotel.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcany2 View Post
I would like to know what would happen to anybody that gets pulled over in any state and refuses to give the police person your license and registration and insurance card. Might be going to the grey bar hotel.
I am no expert when it comes to what police can or can not do, but I would assume that if someone is pulled over and the officer asks for the license and registration, and if the driver then refuses to turn them over the officer has sufficient cause to detain them. I believe that people are required to turn over their license and registration when asked by a police officer.

And I would also assume that you can't drive down the road without violating some rule and that they can pull you over with "probable cause" for any of those "violations".
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I am no expert when it comes to what police can or can not do, but I would assume that if someone is pulled over and the officer asks for the license and registration, and if the driver then refuses to turn them over the officer has sufficient cause to detain them. I believe that people are required to turn over their license and registration when asked by a police officer.

And I would also assume that you can't drive down the road without violating some rule and that they can pull you over with "probable cause" for any of those "violations".
Exactly
Old 08-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #24

South Dakota

If you have a drivers license in a state then you are connected to that state. You must have an address somewhere. You pay state taxes wherever that is. To register an RV in South Dakota you can use your Social Security number in some counties but they will ask you for an address. You can also do dual citizen ship and not pay state taxes in SD as they have none. It would be easier in the long run if you pick SD to become a resident there and get a drivers license. Set up an address through one of the Mail Services. Escapees is one of them then and you donít pay any state income tax. You are required to stay one night in the state to do this. Save a receipt from wherever you stay that night. Montana is another alternative and there are information sites on this.
Good luck, Travato John.
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #25

Insurance companies are glad to accept your payments. But when you have an issue and need them to pay out then that's another thing altogether. If your driver's license, registration, and stated location of residence don't align then the question of domicile is an issue. State's want their pound of flesh when collecting income tax, sales tax and registration fees Insurance companies never want to pay out if there's anything they can do about it. If anything about your contract with them doesn't ring true then you can have a big problem when trying to make a claim. It's always best to keep your driver's license, registration, domicile and insurance within the same state.

There are cases of some states examining peoples medical and legal records along with veterinarian bills, toll and car wash receipts to defeat domicile claims. They want their money! the last thing I want is a fight with a state that has unlimited funds to make my life miserable and try to break me. Or an insurance company that is fighting with me instead of the other party.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Sounds like you donít want to domicile in SD ( a drivers license is important to that) but just register your rv there ? Keeping your DL in an existing state ? Your domicile and registration of vehicles in different states can be problematic. Montana LLC is the preferred state for that in my understanding.
No, there are several counties in SD where a DL is not relevant to that. That's the point.
But I don't know, maybe MT is the better choice.
etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.kauai View Post
If you have a drivers license in a state then you are connected to that state. You must have an address somewhere. You pay state taxes wherever that is. To register an RV in South Dakota you can use your Social Security number in some counties but they will ask you for an address. You can also do dual citizen ship and not pay state taxes in SD as they have none. It would be easier in the long run if you pick SD to become a resident there and get a drivers license. Set up an address through one of the Mail Services. Escapees is one of them then and you donít pay any state income tax. [B]You are required to stay one night in the state to do this[/B]. Save a receipt from wherever you stay that night. Montana is another alternative and there are information sites on this.
Good luck, Travato John.

this is exactly the type of info I am looking for. I need the nuts and bolts of it.
Bring X, Y and Z and do A,B and C.
etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcetera View Post
this is exactly the type of info I am looking for. I need the nuts and bolts of it.
Bring X, Y and Z and do A,B and C.
Here you go: https://escapees.com/education/domicile/south-dakota/

(I also gave this link on the other forum.)
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote